Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 4 Nov 19, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

I really want to cut back on food.
I find myself spending a fortune and it’s just crazy.
I’ve ordered the turkey, gammon, chipolatas and bacon already and that alone was quite a lot when I sit back and think about it!
OH insisted on a larger turkey that the one I originally had in my basket so if he doesn’t use every scrap there’ll be trouble 😆
We definitely overdo it on the food every year 🙄

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

I stopped buying wrapping a couple of years ago although I've still got a bit in stock that I've been using up. Last year I saved loads of brown paper from Amazon parcels (I flatten it out and fold it to store it)and kept any tissue paper etc that came with other gifts, packaging etc over the year and I've done the same this year. I used it for wrapping gifts and then decorated either the paper with rubber stamps or added ribbons, string, bows, craft bits and bobs etc. Assuming you don't use too much plastic and you reuse your decorations where possible this cuts down on waste while still allowing for wrapped gifts.

I also made some fabric bottle bags from felt and some old PE tracksuits of DS2s (bottle green colour). I used a glue gun rather than sewing.

I made decorations last year and am making more this year and will repurpose some old ones. I've made them primarily with paper and fabric rather than plastic and the extra benefit for me is that I enjoy crafts but often don't know what to do with anything I make.
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Hermione
Getting Excited

Mobile

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
I’m another who buys Christmas supermarket bags rather than gift bags, they are usually not more than a pound and are sturdy and have much more room. I feel pleased that I got 5 presents in Sainsburys today, chocs, biscuits and beers but it’s a start. I told me kids £200 each and that is cutting back, my dd got white dms last year that cost loads and have hardly been on her feet because they hurt. I won’t buy any stocking filler type rubbish that’s going to end up in the bin! That’s me cutting back
The DMS you need to cover with a cloth and bash with a hammer to soften the leather, a bit of vaseline rubbed into the inside will help too
Hermione is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

Food wise I’m not cutting back as we waste nothing... leftover roast meats are sliced and frozen for future meals... dinners, curries, pies, egg fried rice etc...
Present wise I buy 10 grandchildren and spend £20-25 on each of them, children have either cash or what they want around £60-70 each, We don’t buy anyone else, this year will be the first year we haven’t bought each other since we met 45 years ago but we buy what we want through the year and we’ve just spent £3k having the garden cleared/renovated...

I do send 20 or so cards to relatives and friends plus a few to the neighbours, I also send a few Jackie Lawson e-cards...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I volunteer in a charity shop, been in today and a lady bought 10 really lovely scarves (fine, square ones) for £1 each to wrap her gifts in.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Michyloulou
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We’re cutting back this year, but mainly as our kids have all the electrical type things they need already (my middle DD will get a new phone next year when she starts secondary school). So, instead we've put a £50 limit on for main present, and I’m cutting down on stocking presents, just getting 1 or 2 useful bits instead of loads of bits that won’t see the light of day again after the holidays.
My eldest DD wants an Apple Watch, and fortunately a friend is selling me a Series 2 Rose Gold one for £160. Obviously above our limit, but my mum and in-laws always give the kids £50 each, so I’ve been strict and told her this will have to go towards it (ok, so I’m £10 over budget for her gift). DS has asked for Air pods (again way over my limit unless I can find some genuine 2nd hand, and again he’d have to put money from grandparents towards it. I was thinking of upgrading my phone to Virgin who are offering free air pods, but the cheapest deal is still over £1000 over 3 years. I might see if CEX shop sell them.
Michyloulou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 06:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

I don't buy for my brothers and sisters in laws as we all decided we didn't need presents. I buy for my Mum and nephew age 14 but nothing big
My kids are 34 & 30 & I have cut down over the years
DD & boyfriend have just bought their first house this year so I will probably give them some money so they can get what they want
A close friend & I used to buy for each other but last year we went to London for the day instead which was great so we are doing it again this year.

My Mum still sends lots of Christmas cards & has the brilliant idea of buying 12 second class stamps each month when she gets her pension, that way she doesn't have the expense of all the postage at once

I had planned to do this on payday each month but only have 2 books of stamps so far
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List