Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 13 Nov 19, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

tinsel

I may sound grumpy but what is the point of tinsel? I know its a Christmas decoration - its just plastic waste that is totally unnecessary in my mind. As with a lot of other plastic Christmas decorations.

I know there are some people that will use it for a few years, but I saw a load of students buying it today, which will no doubt be in the bin come end of term.

I'm stopping doing cards other than to immediate family and when I have used up the wrapping paper I stocked up on I will move to brown paper as that is recyclable. I will probably do the same for birthdays... (small changes and all that?)

Grump over
tiggertastic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I don’t use tinsel because I don’t like it, not for any other reason. Do people still use it?
Old 13 Nov 19, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Irishlass
Apprentice Imagineer

We use tinsel, we put it on our tree, around the mirror and picture frames. We put some along the fireplace and along the tv with lights entwined too. We re-use it every year, haven't bought new tinsel in at least 6/7 years now, and will never stop using it.
Same as Christmas cards, we will continue to to send those too, we're not stopping a perfectly fine tradition. There are some people who appreciate a card at anytime of the year, be it easter, birthday, christmas, etc. If it brings a smile to their face, let's them know someone is thinking of them and has taken the time to write to them, if it stops them feeling lonely or depressed for just a few minutes, then I'd rather that than have someone feeling sad and alone.
Infact we do extra Christmas cards. We as a family have a tradition that we sit down, and write cards for people whom we know are alone at home and have no family, aswell as the residents in our local care home. Just to let them know someone is thinking of them. The staff in the care home always love it when the kids arrive with their stack of cards to hand out as they say it really cheers up the residents, and as some residents dont get cards at all, except from the staff themselves and they always like to show them off.

But then again, I'm not cutting down on my plastic either as we usedl very little before all this hype over it began.
I'm all for recycling, but we have to still live our lives. And I'm certainly against all the determination to do away with the good traditions and things in this world, especially things that make us happy.

The way certain groups get on we may aswell crawl into a dark corner and die, as they certainly dont want us to enjoy our life.
Irishlass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 12:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I have never put tinsel on our tree because it’s not my taste but I do like really nice Christmas cards and send lots and receive lots too! I love lots of sparkly lights everywhere and candles and a pretty tree. If people like it then they should still use it!
Old 14 Nov 19, 12:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Kd0758
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I love tinsel. As soon as we get it down from the loft I start sniffing it, smells amazing 😂

I think trees look odd without tinsel!
Kd0758 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 12:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by tiggertastic View Post
I may sound grumpy but what is the point of tinsel? I know its a Christmas decoration - its just plastic waste that is totally unnecessary in my mind. As with a lot of other plastic Christmas decorations.

I know there are some people that will use it for a few years, but I saw a load of students buying it today, which will no doubt be in the bin come end of term.

I'm stopping doing cards other than to immediate family and when I have used up the wrapping paper I stocked up on I will move to brown paper as that is recyclable. I will probably do the same for birthdays... (small changes and all that?)

Grump over
I love tinsel to me the look and smell puts me in the Christmas spirit 🎄 I don't put it on my tree though as I always have a fear it will catch fire from the lights. No need to apologise for your views on tinsel your perfectly entitled.

What did make me smile from your post was you seen students buying it so it will probably end up in the bin 😳 to me personally it came over as you were stereotyping students 😭

The generation of students now are the ones who have pushed and put into practice the whole protect the environment movement. It's our generation that are the throw away generation.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

I can’t work out if your issue is with tinsel, students or plastic?

As mentioned, students get a bad rep. I’m currently a mature student and the traditional age under graduates are all the ones with reusable lunch boxes and coffee cups setting a good example.

Plastic wise, we recycle the same now as we ever have done and in line with what our local council pick up can achieve.

Tinsel wise, I do like it but we actually have an LED pre-lit tree and I don’t decorate it at all now as I’ve spent years and years trying to get a tree I’m happy with and having never achieved it I figured it was too much hassle to carry on so bought essentially a pop up but very colourful tree.
Old 17 Nov 19, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Not a tinsel fan here but we do still send cards.
Not many but I do tend to send them to our close friends and also family who we never see 😬

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Our tree always has tinsel, gold and red...… Christmas for us.

Can't understand why anyone does not like this ?
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
mad cat woman
I want to go now!

Not a fan of tinsel but our youngest who is now 28 and living in Australia loves it so it will always be in our house
mad cat woman is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List