Link to this Post
Holidaylover19
VIP Dibber

Holidaylover19's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
I got some brilliant iridescent tinsel from Tesco the other day. Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without it!
Holidaylover19 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
taffs travels
VIP Dibber

I think a tree looks bare without glittery tinsel but i re-use mine for years. As for cards i do write less and less each year as friends tell me not to bother but I always send them to relatives by post.
I remember a few years ago I sent one to my uncle who is very elderly and a typical victor meldrew, as i had a spare UNCLE one. Visiting him over the xmas period i didn't see the card but this summer he was ill and it was the first time I have ever been upstairs and there in his bedroom was my card proudly displayed in August. I asked him about it and he said he keeps it up to remind him he is an uncle. I will send him an extra large one this year
taffs travels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

We have tinsel but it doesn't go on the tree mostly because the cat eats it if she can reach it so its used for decorating in the hallway and around photo frames ect We've been using same tinsel for at least 8 years now ok some of it is looking a little worn but its still perfectly use able.

DD did buy some new tinsel this year as she loved the iridescent one in tesco but I'm sure it will be used for years to come as it will fit lovely with lots of different colours schemes.
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 19, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

Mobile

My DD, 9, just bought mickey mouse tinsel from Primarni to decorate her cornet for Christmas concert.

She really wanted her grandma to knit a Santa hat like her sisters violin one, but I pointed out it may not work on a cornet. 🤣. Tinsel it is then xx
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 19, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
LostGirl
Imagineer

LostGirl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Tinsel is what you "torture" ponies with a Xmas horse shows! Wouldn't dream of going to a festive show jumping event without some sparkle onboard!

LostGirl

LostGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 19, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

We (I) have tinsel - it creates a sparkle and a smile like nothing else.

Mind you haven't bought any new since DH arrived as he doesn't really like it, but will tolerate it... that was over 20 years ago... it lasts well. Though it gets shorter when the girls want a "wrap" for their hair-bun.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 19, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Christina Dunn
Apprentice Imagineer

Christina Dunn's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
We use tinsel for the tree and around the house. Last year didn’t put any on tree for about a week, then hubby had to go back in the loft to get it. It just looked not finished without it, but I suppose it is what you get used to.

Christina Dunn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 19, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by tiggertastic View Post
I may sound grumpy but what is the point of tinsel?
It looks sparkly, colourful and attractive. It doesn't perform any function other than to look decorative.

You could say the same about any Christmas decoration. Christmas decorations exist to look decorative and brighten the home.

Originally Posted by tiggertastic View Post
I know its a Christmas decoration - its just plastic waste that is totally unnecessary in my mind. As with a lot of other plastic Christmas decorations
Is the issue you have specifically to do with tinsel or is it with plastic Christmas decorations in general?

I see your point about the overuse of plastic, especially at Christmas time, and it's a valid concern. Just not with tinsel itself.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 06:43 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List