Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Nov 19, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by meboo View Post
Definitely a lottery - to the point where we lost for DS - months of waiting, so we eventually paid to go private when he was 14. Daughter, referred due to missing two adult teeth (simply never formed). It took about 4 months from referral to be seen then 14 months start to finish, including straightening teeth the cosmetic work to reshape teeth. We’re delighted with the outcome for both, but one costs significantly more than the other. Main thing I will say, both of mine continue to wear their retainers and that it the most critical thing. If they won’t do that, there is simply no point having the work done.

Your dd’s situation sounds a lot like my dd’s, so good to hear that could be sorted 👍
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Mobile

I get very tired of these postcode lotteries 😞
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
bluedave
Imagineer

My son used the NHS as one of his adult teeth was lying horizontally and he need an operation to sort that - followed by 2.5 years of braces. The treatment he receive could not have been better - the orthodontist was superb.

My daughter had slightly crooked teeth but didn’t qualify for nhs braces. The same orthodontist did private work and quoted £5000 for her treatment. As it happened my daughter decided she wasn’t really bothered by her teeth and didn’t have the treatment but at the age of 19 had Invisalign which made her teeth perfect.
bluedave is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

DS1 is now at the end of his ohs treatment - he wears a retainer at night. He was referred at 12 and waited just over 2 years to get to the top of the list. Once at the top they are assessed and he had braces within weeks. He got his braces age 15 and they came off just before 17.

DS2 has braces at the moment (got them in June). He was on the list for 22 months before assessment. He has a complicated mouth/ teeth so will need braces for at least 2 years.

Here in Leeds we were told as long as treatment started before their 18th birthday they are entitled to nhs treatment.
jndt is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
galaxyflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by jdndt View Post
Here in Leeds we were told as long as treatment started before their 18th birthday they are entitled to nhs treatment.
Interesting. For my DD we were told that as long as they were referred before they were 18, they could have NHS treatment.

Orlando I-Drive April 2010, July 2017
New York and Washington October 2016
New York and Toronto July 2019
galaxyflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
helbel84
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

My son currently has braces(12) the whole process of being referred and having them on was very quick I think because the orthodontist we went to was stopping nhs treatment, they said they will do it now but if we waited we would have to go somewhere else!
Referral from dentist to orthodontist about a month, the following week he started getting braces fitted. He had to have 5 baby teeth removed in 2 appointments at dentist.
I have found the nhs treatment absolutely fine can’t complain!
Speaking to other mums some of their kids have been waiting years, some wait for baby teeth to fall out and others have them pulled
helbel84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 12:29 AM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Princess Alison View Post
Your dd’s situation sounds a lot like my dd’s, so good to hear that could be sorted 👍
Unfortunately I forgot to take before photos ! But if you want any info or after photos PM me and I’ll send them. She was offered various options including creating gaps with temporary crowns that would be converted to implants at 18. We went for the least invasive and I’m so glad we did. You’d never know she was missing any teeth now
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by Glee Fan View Post
Both of my twins have a tooth missing. They had their milk teeth but the adult teeth just didn’t come in it’s place. They are both missing the tooth next to the front two teeth - I’m rubbish, I don’t know the proper name for them! Anyhow, their adult teeth grew with big gaps as there was the one missing, so it didn’t look like one was missing as such but there were big gaps in between the teeth. We were on a waiting list for the NHS for about 18 months and appointments at our practice for NHS patients are only between 9 and 3 which is really frustrating with regards to school. They eventually both had braces fitted when they were 15 in June 2018. My dd is having hers removed next week, but my ds is more complex so needs longer.

However, they both now need an implant as their teeth have moved into the correct place and a space exists for the missing tooth. Unfortunately the NHS won’t fund this as it’s seen as cosmetic. It’s going to cost about £8k for the two of them all in. Just the consultation appointment with the implantologist is £100 so soon adds up.

We did know we’d have to pay when we started which was why we waited for NHS treatment to begin with to make it slightly less painful cost wise overall.

I hope you don’t have to wait too long. Happy to chat further if you have any other questions. It is a long old process though!
That is the tooth my dd is missing. She has had a bridge rather than an implant. It cost £250 on the NHS. It looks great now it’s done.

Edited at 07:44 PM.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyWannabe
Imagineer

We are in Staffordshire and it is a very long wait here. DD2 (now 17) was referred in 2015 got seen in 2017 but her gap was 0.5mm under the NHS threshold so we went private for her braces.

DD3 (now age 13) was referred in late 2017 we are still waiting for her initial appointment, as we moved house I called to change our address a few weeks ago and see how close she was to getting an appointment and was told we have another 2 years yet :-O
Old 3 Nov 19, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

My twins are both in the process of getting NHS braces. Both are missing big teeth behind two of their milk teeth and so they need the milk teeth removed. One has already had them removed and the other is wobbling her baby teeth to try and make them come out naturally as she doesn’t want them removed. The first is getting a removable brace first to try and keep a gap in her teeth and they then should both be getting the train tracks and a bridge or false tooth where the missing adult teeth should be.
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List