Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 8 Nov 19, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Kimbers
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile Advice on Hand Luggage only

Hi all

We are a family of three (2 adults and a 4yr old) and I am contemplating hand luggage only for our next Orlando trip in January.

We have been many times and each time we hardly use any of the stuff we pack.

We don't need to wait for a car seat or a pram at the other end and cutting out the waiting at the carousel would make life easier.

We stay in a villa so have a washer and dryer and will buy majority of toiletries at Wall art anyway!

Anyone got any advice or warni gs and also advise on bags that they have used successfully or not so!

We are flying virgin x
Kimbers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post

I used to fly regularly on business, couple of times a week and always went hand luggage only to avoid waiting at carousels. But I don’t feel like that for a two week holiday, seems to be making things more difficult for the sake of waiting twenty minutes at a carousel. In fact as I had a longer immigration queue last trip, I didn’t wait at all.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
There was a similar thread https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1147840 might help you
Old 8 Nov 19, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I took a hand luggage size case last time ( I put it in the hold but I could have taken it on with me)
learn the Marie Kondo folding method you can get 3 times as much stuff easily in a case doing that. Also take very thin T shirts they are easily washed out and dried on the line over the bath.
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 07:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

We did three weeks hand luggage only in the west we were travelling business so did have two small cases but it was a doddle.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
We did hand luggage only this summer and it was honestly fine. I pack Marie Kondo style and no matter how long the trip I pack for a week. If I pack more than that I just end up rewearing my favourite things anyway.
We each had a backpack for on the plane and our toiletries were in there so they were easy to access for security.

My tip would be get a backpack or second personal bag with a strap on the back which connects its to your cabin case. I found this really helpful in the airport as I then just had one item to deal with.

Edited at 07:47 AM.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Kimbers
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile

BevS97... the pic of the hards case.. Do you take 1 per person?

Anyone ever vacumm packed?

Thankyou everyone for the replies! Xx
Kimbers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Yes. 1 per person. I don’t vacuum pack as I think the case would end up very heavy and you have to lift them into the overhead locker.

This was everything we took. I bought a new backpack for the return as I wanted a sleeve on the back so it would sit on my case.

Edited at 08:44 AM.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We are converts to hand baggage only and this summer managed easily over a 3 week period, Boston- NY- Dayton OH- Orlando- Naples- Miami.
It was great to step into a taxi at Boston less than 30 mins after exiting the aircraft and before the baggage carousel had even started up.
For us, it was simply a matter of deleting the items that we always take and never use. Traditionally, we have been around 13kg with medium suitcases and therefore it was a doddle to cut to 10 whilst using smaller, lighter suitcases.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 12:29 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
See that fallen over case? Our old cases did that. And they were frustrating. They finally needed replacing and ability to stand on its own was a key feature.