Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Nov 19, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkjon
Imagineer

Tinkjon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by returnplanning View Post
I'm going to disagree here, change of temperatures can trigger loss of control of asthma
Yes, but not to the point where she's using up two Ventolin in one week - if that's happening then it needs reviewing.
Tinkjon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Addition

Originally Posted by Tinkjon View Post
Yes, but not to the point where she's using up two Ventolin in one week - if that's happening then it needs reviewing.
I should have also added that if a patient has a thorough asthma review you should also be given an Asthma self management plan where treatment can be adjusted according to trigger situations
I work in Pulmonary rehab now, so haven’t done formal reviews for a while, but when I was doing asthma reviews my patients would adjust their medication according to their Peak flow rate in conjunction with their plan

Again Asthma UK has good info on self management plans and also a nurse helpline

Edited at 02:43 PM.
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
When did she last have an asthma review at the doctors? If 2 inhalers won't last for a holiday then it doesn't sound as if it's well controlled. I have asthma and have reviews with a nurse at my GP surgery every six months. A salbutamol (blue) reliever inhaler lasts me ages when it's well controlled. I use a preventer inhaler also - symbicort, 2 puffs twice a day, and that lasts me 2 months. If it gets really bad I take steroid tablets for a couple of weeks till it's back under control.
This absolutely. Oh my goodness I was so shocked at that first post, sorry not read whole thread yet OP.

I was diagnosed with asthma in my thirties but I think it was pollution triggered and once I moved out of London into countryside I have been ok and rarely use inhaler now, one a year would do me.

My DH on the other hand has had asthma all his life and also has several allergies which compound it. I have just asked him and he said he maybe uses four inhalers a year, although recently they seem to have shrunk in size and he might be up to five, possibly six now.

He says he takes two on holiday, one in hand luggage and one in checked luggage but this is more of a back up in case one is lost. This is a text message conversation with him and he is bombarding me with how shocked he is that someone could go through two inhalers in three weeks and thinks doctors appointment is essential to deal with the underlying issue not the holiday problem.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Mobile

I went out specifically to try and buy a ventolin inhaler over the counter at Walmart and cvs back in October. The only way I could get one was by seeing a dr and getting a prescription.
August 2021 - Anthem of the seas UK mini cruise Trip report *completed*
Vegas/LA Aug 22 - Trip Report In Progress
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Milpston View Post
I went out specifically to try and buy a ventolin inhaler over the counter at Walmart and cvs back in October. The only way I could get one was by seeing a dr and getting a prescription.
Really strange as I managed to get one last year. Maybe the rules have changed.
Old 13 Nov 19, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Neilandrewhall
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Wow I appreciate all your comments guys! I have got her to book a GP appointment with Dr Ishaque for tomorrow regarding this, and I will report on the outcome
Neilandrewhall is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Neilandrewhall View Post
Wow I appreciate all your comments guys! I have got her to book a GP appointment with Dr Ishaque for tomorrow regarding this, and I will report on the outcome
Thanks for the update
Keep us posted
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Neilandrewhall
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Sorry for the late update guys

Been GP told him about her asthma he got her to do a peak flow thing and both times she got between 150 and 200 which the GP said is not normal.

He has referred her to broncho team at Queens for them to investigate.

Neil
Neilandrewhall is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Neilandrewhall View Post
Sorry for the late update guys

Been GP told him about her asthma he got her to do a peak flow thing and both times she got between 150 and 200 which the GP said is not normal.

He has referred her to broncho team at Queens for them to investigate.

Neil
I am pleased that the GP has referred her for further investigations as asthma should never be underestimated. Hope all goes well for you both and thank you for the update.

Edit reason - don't forget to update your insurance company if necessary when appropriate.

Edited at 10:31 PM.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Excellent news. Who knows, your OH may be much better by the time of your trip if she gets properly investigated now.