Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Nov 19, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
rosiela
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile Life after redundancy

Sorry bit of a miserable topic for a Saturday night.

I lost my job a couple of weeks ago - redundancy - not really expected. Don’t need to really go into details.
First week or so I was actually ok, think I was quite shocked but was keeping busy and just having a bit of time out at home which felt ok.

The last few days I have just been really struggling. I am so, so down. Not just about not having a job but little things. I have really good friends at work who I would see/talk to every day and now I don’t. We are still keeping in touch so it’s not like that’s it forever but I’m finding it very hard.

When I was let go I had to go immediately so no closure or anything. I am only 33 so still plenty of time I hope to find something else, really want to have a think and not just rush into something as I was there nearly 8 years.

I just feel absolutely emotionally wrecked by it. I am keeping myself busy and active and trying not to slip down but it’s just so hard, spent most of today either asleep or crying. :-/

Anyone been in the same situation?

Thanks for letting me vent x
rosiela is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Hi Rosie,

Can't your local (showing my age here) job centre help you in this case.

I've been extremely lucky in life not to have to face it too often. If money isn't too much of a concern then think about what you want to do going forward. Age is on your side at 33 you are still young. Sorry I can't be of more help and wish you good luck moving on.

Old 2 Nov 19, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
rosiela
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Yes I have an interview with job centre next Thursday, it’s the earliest they can see me. I’m sure I will find something else and am able to take a little time if I want so I can think about what I want to do.
rosiela is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 12:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
The sudden way you were made redundant must have been a real shock so vent away ! Take the time to think about which direction you wish to go. With a bit of luck something else even better will come along. I found a new job straight away after my redundancy but I do wish I had taken a bit of time off to think about what I wanted to do next.

I do understand how you are feeling. I was made redundant from HMRC 5 years ago and it might sound silly but it almost felt like a bereavement. I had been there almost 30 years and I was devastated.

Hopefully you will feel better when you speak to the Job Centre and you start to receive help in finding a new job. All the best.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 12:20 AM  
Link to this Post
rosiela
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you. Yes I think I am just getting over the shock really. Everything we had been planning is just up in the air now - we were about to book a holiday, that’s on hold obviously, and wanted to plan a family but now I’m a bit ? as I don’t have an income!

I’m just really gutted. I feel I should make the most of having a little bit of “time out” though and really just have a think about what to do.

In the meantime I’ve started driving lessons and am doing some creative stuff so I’m hoping things will turn out positively somehow x
Old 3 Nov 19, 12:23 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Would you consider temp work? I was made redundant but without a payout due to not being there very long. So I had to find work immediately. I did temp work for about a year until I found the right job. It was only a stopgap but it kept me busy and employed and was offered a permanent position from a temporary job.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 12:28 AM  
Link to this Post
rosiela
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Yes thinking of temp/short contract jobs - partly to plug the gap in employment on my CV, partly for the extra money. Wondering if it may be worth looking for Christmas temp jobs perhaps.
Old 3 Nov 19, 12:31 AM  
Link to this Post
kirkdalewdw
Imagineer

I did 22 years in my 1st job (started at 18) I worked from an a YTS Computer op to a IT Manager, then I spent 12 months unemployed. I moved down south to find work (easy when you don't have kids etc.) the job centre where not helpful as they had no idea how to deal with me, you need to keep to a routine, I kept getting up at normal work time (stupid 6am) no point staying in bed, sending off multiple emails... I did take up the job centres offer of free swimming pool access, again it got me out the house. You just need to keep positive, something will come up
kirkdalewdw is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 01:29 AM  
Link to this Post
TINKERBELL44
Apprentice Imagineer

I know it’s no consolation but I’ve been made redundant twice, first time after 22 years working for a Bank and second time 8 years working for (yes I know ! ) another Bank! My view is don’t panic and rush into the first job you are offered. The second time I was made redundant I took a job with a car dealership (totally out of my comfort zone but the best decision I’ve ever made, I actually look forward to going to work, something I never did whilst working in the Bank, take care and hope everything turns out great xxxxx
TINKERBELL44 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 02:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. Not redundancy but I got chopped back in 2011 when the cash crisis hit as I was too expensive for the firm to keep.
The first Month was lovely, then it was what's all this about!
I'm now 64 so a totally different scenario but please don't dwell on things, keep active, put yourself out there for other opportunities and don't mope around. Keep busy
Best wishes for the future something will turn up it always does.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List