Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 3 Nov 19, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

Mobile What to do for 1 day off site

We are going to hire a car for one day, we will be popping out to an outlet mall and eating at Ford’s Garage. We just fancy a day away from the parks, but without paying a high admission cost somewhere. Is there somewhere scenic for us to go to? Beach? Barring in mind we need to fit shopping in!
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I've already responded to your one day car hire post and seen your family size as well.

We're the complete opposites I'm afraid. Visited 35 times and not spent a single night in a WDW resort bed.

I see that you plan a visit to an outlet mall such as the Premium Outlet on either I-Drive or Vineland. That will take at least 3 hours out of the day. That's without going to a traditional mall. The upmarket Mall at Millennia is only 5/10 minutes away from the PO at I-Drive but at least another 2 hours if you want to visit Tiffany and Louis Vuitton for example.

A beach visit may be a bridge too far - even the east coast is maybe an hour drive away.

There's a nice scenic lake ride at Winter Park about 25 miles to the north east. Harry Leu Gardens about 5 miles from there.

But you might want to extend your car hire to 48 hours instead of rushing the kids round the outlets.

Mick

Edited at 12:28 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks Mick, I’ve seen Vineyard is open until 11pm so I was thinking of Ford’s Garage for dinner and then the outlets (I only really want to do the North Face, will see how tired as to whether we’d do more.) So was thinking 8-5ish would be plenty of time for casual beach trip? Just a few hours there would be fine, (we love road trips, it’s unusual for us to be staying on site for a holiday, that’s why we’re hiring a car to get our fix!) Daytona says 1 hr 15 away, but I thought even if traffic wasn’t great 2 hours there and back wouldn’t be too bad? It’s what we do for a beach trip at home.
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

Mobile

Although I will look at the lake thank you, some scenic fits the bill 😊
Old 3 Nov 19, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by GoldenAvalanche View Post
Thanks Mick, I’ve seen Vineyard is open until 11pm so I was thinking of Ford’s Garage for dinner and then the outlets (I only really want to do the North Face, will see how tired as to whether we’d do more.) So was thinking 8-5ish would be plenty of time for casual beach trip? Just a few hours there would be fine, (we love road trips, it’s unusual for us to be staying on site for a holiday, that’s why we’re hiring a car to get our fix!) Daytona says 1 hr 15 away, but I thought even if traffic wasn’t great 2 hours there and back wouldn’t be too bad? It’s what we do for a beach trip at home.
To be honest we prefer the Gulf coast but that's at least a 2 hour drive. You must do Daytona if only to say you've driven on the beach.

Mick
Old 3 Nov 19, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

Mobile

Ha yes that’s exactly what we were thinking! My husband is a bit of a car nut so we’re hoping to get a mustang, though know it’s not guaranteed. We plan to come back in a few years and stay off site with a car, so will note gulf coast for next time!
Old 3 Nov 19, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Ha yes that’s exactly what we were thinking! My husband is a bit of a car nut so we’re hoping to get a mustang, though know it’s not guaranteed. We plan to come back in a few years and stay off site with a car, so will note gulf coast for next time!
We're nothing like typical Dibbers now.

Apart from MVMCP in 2014 we haven't done a WDW or Universal park since 2010. Did them plenty of times before that but now we just like to explore the other 65,700 square miles that Florida has to offer.

We are of an age that we're happy with a full size car from Alamo.

Mick
Old 3 Nov 19, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

Mobile

That sounds amazing, we’d love to do the rest of Florida eventually. Children are 9 and 6 and this is their first US trip, we plan to road trip across the states eventually! But need to get the parks done first!
Old 3 Nov 19, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
That sounds amazing, we’d love to do the rest of Florida eventually. Children are 9 and 6 and this is their first US trip, we plan to road trip across the states eventually! But need to get the parks done first!
Have a fantastic time. Our two girls were 12 and 16 when we first went in 1990.

Mick
Old 5 Nov 19, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

Just a suggestion from someone who put threee kids in a rental car on many vacations. Skip the Mustang. Get something comfortable for the kids or whoever gets the back seat. If you are just puttering around Orlando, your husband won't get the benefits of a mustang in stop and go traffic (which you will encounter lots) and if you are taking a longer trip, the backseat is not made for a comfortable drive.

We would get a luxury car sp the kids had adequate room and didn't need to touch, although a full size will be fine.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List