Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Nov 19, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile Is Clinton a next to close down ?

Looks like Clinton’s is trouble and fighting to remain on the high street

Clintons in survival talks over shop closures and rent cuts bbc/news/business-50365605

Apart from the one on Grantham High Street I don’t think I have seen one anywhere else for years - but paper chase is on every corner and rail station in London !

I don’t send many cards these days preferring electronic messages and am not doing Christmas cards or gifts at all this year and seems many of my family and friends think the same - total waste off money (in my view) so not entirely surprised by Clinton’s struggling
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

There is one in the large centre close to me. I always had the impression that it was maybe a franchise as the person who seems to be in charge definitely seems like an owner rather than a manager. It’s very expensive though. I only go there if I need a really special card or I can’t get what I want elsewhere.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

The one in our local town centre closed a while back but it was only two doors or so up from a much cheaper card factory. There is one in meadowhall and my nephews future wife works in there so fingers crossed her job is safe for a while, hopefully they can trade over Xmas as surely its got to be busiest time, they get married in a few months so need the money
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I think that the writing was on the wall for this one some time ago. They need to. Diversify their range or they will be gone.

I only now send cards of any type to my more traditional/older friends.. and never by Royal Mail, such is the price of postage. With passing years, this group will inevitably become smaller until eventually disappearing. An additional watershed for me was the encouragement of various other ‘celebration days’ in an attempt to keep the card , chocolate box and flower businesses going.. What next? Second cousins day?

Technology has rendered cards largely obsolete with the rise in Computers, Mobile Phones and similar devices. I can see no way back.

It will be interesting (and distressing for retail employees) to see which High Street major player will succumb next in the face of grasping councils with their business rates and overpriced car parking, The rise of internet sales and in addition, changing methods of delivery.

Can Royal Mail survive by delivering trash mail that goes straight in my bin?
WH Smith, when competing with Supermarkits, Poundland, Wilco and the like?
M&S with their high pricing are already heavily realigning their business.
Boots?
Debenhams (already admitting that they are in trouble).

Soon, if you don’t want fast food, posh coffee (a fad?) charity shops, a new mobile phone or the like, then there will be no point in going ‘down town’. Surely mobile phones will soon move exclusively on line? My nearest toy shop for Christmas is 2 hours away in Plymouth.Nearest model shop, Plymouth... (I make models as a hobby).

In Falmouth most banks have gone and most national retailers. We have one travel agent, one butcher, one fishmonger and no greengrocers. Our post office is now in the corner of co-op. Estate agents must also be looking nervously at the rise of Zoopla, Rightmove and the like as DIY will soon be a house selling option. The end of the high street is nigh!
The good news is that we have plenty of Restaurants and we have seen a slowdown in the closure of pubs as our Student numbers have increased. (Falmouth and Penryn are both Uni towns)... although this year they were making unconditional offers to students.

Would you recommend a career in high street retail to a Son or Daughter?

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 10:36 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We have a small retail park close to us and they have a Clintons there which always seems to be quite busy but I do agree they're pretty expensive
Old 11 Nov 19, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

It's sad to see them go. However I stopped using them years ago as I can buy cards much cheaper at the card factory.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

I haven't set foot in one for many years so not that surprised to be honest. If I want a card I go to the card factory. Never understood charging £5 for a bit of card that will be thrown away in a week. The other stuff they sell is over priced gifty tat.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I seem to be in the minority as I actually love sending and receiving handwritten cards. There is something special about someone having taken the time to choose a card for you and write it
However, I am fussy about what I send and although Clinton have nice ones from time to time they are very generic
There are a few of them up here but they never seem to be particularly busy
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I think it’s a shame if they go as I really don’t like card factory as think their cards look cheap whereas Clinton’s have some beautiful cards and decent wrapping paper and I like the gifts they sell too .
Would always choose them for my Christmas cards
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Clinton should have shifted into online, direct delivery cards, fresh flowers etc. It's exactly like it was 30 years ago in a declining market selling products largely for another period.
If I do need a card I go to Tesco, next to my office, or alternatively wander down to my local market where I can buy the same type of card for 25% or less of the cost.