Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Nov 19, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by Kd0758 View Post
I saw a YouTube video of a set of identical twins who both did one with 23andMe a few months ago and it’s made me quite sceptical about the accuracy of some of these tests. Their results weren’t exactly the same with their ancestry which obviously they should be.
Did see something similar. It’s not an exact science
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Ninja
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 142
I've got a couple of questions for those of you who have done it as I was thinking of doing this for my Mum as she always says she'd love to trace her family tree.
So what's the difference in doing this to doing a family tree and also do you get any information on your relatives like what they did etc or is it just name, place & D.O.B
Ninja is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandobelle
VIP Dibber

Orlandobelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
So what's the difference in doing this to doing a family tree and also do you get any information on your relatives like what they did etc or is it just name, place & D.O.B
I've find the ancestry one

You get an ethnicity map

And a guide to where your dna originates from

Mine have changed over time as the analysis technology improves.

You also get a list of matches - cousins who have uploaded their info to ancestry. Some have their own family trees online - some don't.

Here's an example to give you an idea

It's up to you if you want to make contact and up to them if they chose to respond

Edited at 10:12 PM.
Orlandobelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Watching the ant and dec program made me think it’s much less specific than a family tree. It matches with anyone who you share DNA with which can be a ‘cousin’ who you have a link too many generations back. If you go back enough generations you end up related to 1000s of people.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandobelle
VIP Dibber

Orlandobelle's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
Watching the ant and dec program made me think it’s much less specific than a family tree. It matches with anyone who you share DNA with which can be a ‘cousin’ who you have a link too many generations back. If you go back enough generations you end up related to 1000s of people.
It's help me solve a brick wall in my tree and confirm branches I wasn't sure of. I have a lot of family who emigrated to salt lake city and kept extensive journals of their travel across North America to spread the word. Their descendants (my cousins) have been interesting to correspond with.

It's a useful companion to a family tree

Edited at 10:23 PM.
Orlandobelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

My cousin sent me a test to do... it was surprising as I turned out to be 78% English, East Midlands and 22% Irish... however it showed only 2 1st and 2nd cousins who I already knew...sorry it also showed hundreds of possible 3rd to 8th cousins...
The Irish connection was already known (to some of the family anyway)... my dads mum was illegitimate and her father was an Irishman who was living locally... it explained the green eyes and very dark hair that I inherited from my dad...
It was interesting but I’m glad it was a gift...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater

Edited at 12:19 AM.
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
kempydee
Being a bit Goofy

kempydee's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 2
I did just the Ancestry DNA test. I haven’t gone any further than getting my results. I’ve not logged on since.
My dad is adopted and he didn’t want to see my results in case it gave him an idea of where he might be from (we are both mixed race).
My DNA results did basically say where 20% of my heritage is from and that did explain my mixed race.
So I chose not to go any further to respect my dad.

Edited at 10:29 PM.
kempydee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Bella Girl
slightly serious Dibber

Bella Girl's Reviews
I am quite intrigued by the idea of knowing more about my ancestry as I know very little. However my query is about the ownership of that data.

Once you have done a DNA test, who owns the results? Is it you or the company who sold you the kit or the company who conducted the tests? Can that company sell on your data to a 3rd party without your permission or knowledge?
Bella Girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandobelle
VIP Dibber

Orlandobelle's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Link to ancestry privacy policy

ancestry/cs/legal/privacystatement
Easter 06 Calabay Parc/Vero Beach
Easter 07 Sunset Lakes/RPR Trippy
Hallowe'en 07 Sunset Lakes/HRH ~ Hallowe'en 08 Highlands Reserve & HRH
Xmas 09 - Bella Vida/HRH/Pop Trippy
Jul 2010 Bella Vida & RPR Photos
OKW & Bahama Bay for Christmas 2012
Summer 2015 ~ Cabana Bay & Terre Verde Sept 2016 -- Solo @ Pop / BWV / Sapphire Falls

Old 14 Nov 19, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post
wifey
Imagineer

Mobile

Yep DH did his last year and got his results back quite quickly, I sent mine of last Saturday and I’m waiting on the results right now. About ten years ago I had my maternal line checked that side goes back to a haplogroup from Sweden which is hilarious to me I hate cold weather and it causes me serious health issues if I can’t keep warm my blood vessels collapse and ulcerate. It’s painful and takes years to heal up. DMs family were mostly farmers and we suspect they had something to do with the reindeer herds since some of them were wardens of the deer and the forests in various locations here in England over the centuries. It will be interesting to see what comes back for my paternal line. DH is still being contacted by other people the majority of them we have no clue at all how they are related to him in the tree but it does pop up as “ possible third cousin” and things like that. It gives an approximation of how you can be related to someone but unless you have the documentation to follow you can’t really verify it all much.
1998 Comfort Inn LBV, 2000 AS Music, 2002 Spring Hill Suites LLB, 2004 AS Movies, 2005 Comfort Inn LBV& Sequoia Lodge DLRP, 2007 AS Movies. September 2009 Port Orleans French Quarter, Yacht Club August 2013 "Club Level" WL August 2015, CBR Celebrating 26 Years Together October 2017.
wifey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List