Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 12 Nov 19, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Spot on. There is no actual offence but other factors can create one. Sad though it is we rarely see Roads Policing Officers much now due to Govt cutbacks. They used to target lane hoggers but not much gets done about them now

We have a great system in Wales albeit not sure England has it. Send off your dashcam footage and they review it and can and do prosecute offenders for all types of bad driving including lane hogging at silly low speeds.

It's those who are texting drive nails into me.
Unfortunately I don’t believe that they do that up here in Scotland and although a lot of the roads can be less congested (aside Glasgow and Edinburgh areas) the standard of driving is just as poor and getting worse.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
jo williams
Very Serious Dibber

We’ve just got back a couple of weeks ago, in all the years we’ve been going it has got steadily worse as the years go on. I actually feel that if I went again I wouldn’t even hire a car even though I would be more restricted. The 14 and 192 were like the M25 most days, the driving by others was down right dangerous, weaving in and out of lanes, txting, FaceTiming. The accidents we saw were daily usually with cars going into the back of one another. People drive with a total lack of consideration for other drivers and no one lets you in if you happen to be in the wrong lane. Really sorry rant over but it actually may play a part in why I wouldn’t go back.
I’m sure you will be fine, drive carefully and give plenty of distance I think I’ve found it so bad this time as I’ve noticed an massive increase in traffic and carelessness of other drivers steadily increase over the years. If it was my first time I wouldn’t know any difference.
jo williams is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Mobile

I can’t remember who it was but somebody on here ages ago described the I4 as like the M25 but on steroids!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

We have a great system in Wales albeit not sure England has it. Send off your dashcam footage and they review it and can and do prosecute offenders for all types of bad driving including lane hogging at silly low speeds.
ooh, if they do that in the UK i would happily send in some dashcam footage - a few weeks ago i was so angry with the idiots on the road when driving from leeds to nottingham, i saved the footage, with the intention of making a road movie where the driving is sped up, but it keeps on slowing down at the bits where drivers are being idiots, maybe even putting up text onscreen mocking them and displaying their licence plates for all to see

if the law isn't going to do anything about these lane hogging idiots, i'll embarrass them on youtube...
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
ooh, if they do that in the UK i would happily send in some dashcam footage - a few weeks ago i was so angry with the idiots on the road when driving from leeds to nottingham, i saved the footage, with the intention of making a road movie where the driving is sped up, but it keeps on slowing down at the bits where drivers are being idiots, maybe even putting up text onscreen mocking them and displaying their licence plates for all to see

if the law isn't going to do anything about these lane hogging idiots, i'll embarrass them on youtube...
My Son is always watching those YouTube videos of bad driving. Some are horrendous

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

I actually honked my horn at someone BEHIND me yesterday! Merging onto the slip road from I4 to 192, I indicated and went to pull in and the **** (insert your own profanity) behind me did the same but tried to get in front of me by speeding up and undertaking whilst I was already manoeuvring. He got a round of curse words definitely not fit for a lady when he sailed past me on the slip road later with his eyes fixed forward.
angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

I can’t remember who it was but somebody on here ages ago described the I4 as like the M25 but on steroids!
Boy racer and Minivan mayhem!
angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by jo williams View Post
We’ve just got back a couple of weeks ago, in all the years we’ve been going it has got steadily worse as the years go on. I actually feel that if I went again I wouldn’t even hire a car even though I would be more restricted. The 14 and 192 were like the M25 most days, the driving by others was down right dangerous, weaving in and out of lanes, txting, FaceTiming. The accidents we saw were daily usually with cars going into the back of one another. People drive with a total lack of consideration for other drivers and no one lets you in if you happen to be in the wrong lane. Really sorry rant over but it actually may play a part in why I wouldn’t go back.
I’m sure you will be fine, drive carefully and give plenty of distance I think I’ve found it so bad this time as I’ve noticed an massive increase in traffic and carelessness of other drivers steadily increase over the years. If it was my first time I wouldn’t know any difference.
You want to try driving down around the Miami area - makes the I4/192 look like the M1 in 1959.
2point is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stitch & Smudge View Post
Fair enough, but this is from the police website;
ON MOTORWAYS
Rule 268 of the Highway Code states – do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

OFFENCE
Overtaking on the left is lawful if done in accordance with the above guidance. However, whilst there is no specific offence of overtaking on the left, if a driver undertook another vehicle, other than in the circumstances described above e.g. in the case of someone hogging lane 2 on a motorway, they may be prosecuted for careless driving.

GENERAL ADVICE
Always take extreme care when overtaking on the left, as there may be a number of dangers e.g.
But if I'm in lane 1 and at a steady speed of 70mph and someone is in lane 2 and only going at 65pmh I am not undertaking as I am driving at a constant speed.otherwise I have to move to lane 3 and then back to lane 1.

If I change lanes to undertake and then cut back in then this is different.

I regularly undertake when I am travelling up one road and lane 2 is going up another
Old 13 Nov 19, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
But if I'm in lane 1 and at a steady speed of 70mph and someone is in lane 2 and only going at 65pmh I am not undertaking as I am driving at a constant speed.otherwise I have to move to lane 3 and then back to lane 1.

If I change lanes to undertake and then cut back in then this is different.

I regularly undertake when I am travelling up one road and lane 2 is going up another
Yep, if the road is clear you’re supposed to overtake in the outside lane, even if it requires you moving out two lanes to do it. Sounds stupid but that’s what it is. I usually carry out the manoeuvre and then head straight back into the inside lane in the hope that they’ll follow my lead. Technically you can do what you say but it leaves you open to the interpretation of the officer who pulls you over. Not sure but I think a middle lane driver has to have traveled around 3 miles before they are stopped.
You are perfectly correct about passing on diverging lanes though.

Edited at 03:39 PM.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List