Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 9 May 14, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

University entry requirements

My DD has just come home from school in floods of tears after sitting one or her higher exams. She says she didn't finish the first paper and really struggled with the second one. She is sure she has failed this exam (although who know, she may be lucky).

Now one of her "friends" has told her there is no way she will get into Uni next year as she has to get all her entry requirements in one year. The course she wants to do requires 4 "B" grade highers. She is sitting 4 highers and one National 5 this year, but the Nat 5 doesn't count towards her Uni entry requirements. She is going back to school next year and doing another 3 Highers.

Sorry for waffling, my question is - if she only passes 3 Highers this year, can she make up her entry requirements with next years exam passes - does anyone know?

I feel so bad I can't do anything to help her just now...

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 14, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
itsrachelhere
Imagineer

itsrachelhere's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I don't really know the Scottish system to comment on that, but your poor daughter. I am sure there will be options available to her, whatever happens. As you say, what a lovely "friend"...
itsrachelhere is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 14, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
BriarRose
Imagineer

We were told by head of local secondary that uni's will first and foremost look at pupils obtaining the correct no. and level of grades then they would look at those obtained at first time of sitting.

So if entry was 4 B's and someone sat/got 3 B's one year and then sat/got the additional B the next year they would be looked on more favourably than someone who got 3 B's and a C one year and then re-sat the C and got a B the next.

But if your daughter could end up with far more highers than req then surely that would be a good thing. Each course is different and to say she can't possibly get into a course is ridiculous and there will be many many kids who don't get what they want on the first attempt. Try and get a meeting with her guidance teacher who should be able to offer some advice.

1998,1999,2001,2004 I Drive, 2005,2006 Pop Century, 2007 Newport Bay DLP, 2010, 2012 OKW 2013, 2014, 2015 SSR, 2016 Portofino Bay & IDrive

Edited at 12:51 PM.
BriarRose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 14, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
alenesmum
Trying for More Ears

Oh Dear, exams are so stressful for the kids. I am sure they can. In years gone by students were doing highers over 2 years. My son is just doing his nat4/5 just now. stress.com
alenesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 14, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
SammyScotland
Imagineer

Yes she can. DS sat 4 Highers and an Int 2 in 5th year. He then sat another 2 Highers and an Advanced Higher in 6th year. He did well in 5th year but didn't have the required grades for the course he wanted to do at Uni so when he applied to the Uni in 6th year they gave him a conditional offer. This conditional offer was based on him acquiring certain grades in the exams he sat in 6th year.
Old 9 May 14, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

I don't know the Scottish system so I can't help with that - but what a b!tch this "friend" is! Your poor daughter, exams are stressful enough without idiots like that in your life.
Old 9 May 14, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Morganza
slightly serious Dibber

It will depend on competition for the course. If it's a popular course they might insist all exams have to be achieved at first sitting. My daughter did different Highers in sixth year and got 5 As - despite getting ABCCC in fifth year for subjects she had studied all the way through. (the attraction of boys and bebo had worn off and she was much more focused!)

If it didn't go well all is not lost but sometimes it always seems worse when you just come out of an exam. Try to encourage her to forget about it and enjoy the summer.
Morganza is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 14, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
hexagon
VIP Dibber

hexagon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
I wouldn't worry too much. In 5th I got ABBCD and the C and D were maths and english and then did a higher and advanced higher in 6th and got an A and C. And I still got an unconditional and a conditional from stirling and dundee for history. Though it probably depends on how competitive the course is and what subjects they are. It doesn't matter which years you get the results in, I think most unis prefer the results in one sitting though, regardless of whether it was 5th or 6th year.
hexagon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 14, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Most universities list two sets of entry requirements. One is for 5th year entry- "first sitting" and for 6 th year entry-" second sitting" was this admin? Waiting for DD to finish as her school has to stagger the SQA times due to lack of equipment! Last year she came home in tears after her Int2 practical went disastrously wrong - she got an A band 1.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 14, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by aileenslater View Post
Most universities list two sets of entry requirements. One is for 5th year entry- "first sitting" and for 6 th year entry-" second sitting" was this admin? Waiting for DD to finish as her school has to stagger the SQA times due to lack of equipment! Last year she came home in tears after her Int2 practical went disastrously wrong - she got an A band 1.
Yes, it was Higher Admin... the whole course has been a disaster really as there were a few really disruptive pupils in the class and the teacher didn't fit all the coursework in! Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do now... it's quite a small school, so there only was one Higher Admin class so no other options there, and the teacher is head of department!

Hope your DD did well and is happy with how she got on in the exam

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread