Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 11 Dec 17, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Mobile Any vegans?

Just wondering if there are any other vegans on here?

I've been vegetarian for many years but recently found out i'm allergic to cows milk (possivly wheat too but that's still being investigated), so now i'm technically vegan. At least that's probably the easiest way of explaining it to Disney cast members rather than vegetarian with milk allergy.

If anyone else is the same, how do they find the food at WDW? I have a particularly sweet tooth so i'm a bit upset about things I might miss.
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 17, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I'm not vegan, although I don't really eat eggs and do try to limit both meat and dairy so I end up choosing vegan options a lot.

The newer restaurants are definitely starting to cater specifically for vegans on their main menus, so I expect to see more vegan-friendly options rolling across the property as menus get refreshed. The two that spring to mind are Satu'li Canteen (crispy tofu bowls) in AK and the new Ale & Compass (plant burger and vegan bowls) at YC.

And I only have two words for sweet tooths: Erin McKenna's

ETA: Another two would be Dole Whip.

Edited at 07:43 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 17, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
I'm not vegan, although I don't really eat eggs and do try to limit both meat and dairy so I end up choosing vegan options a lot.

The newer restaurants are definitely starting to cater specifically for vegans on their main menus, so I expect to see more vegan-friendly options rolling across the property as menus get refreshed. The two that spring to mind are Satu'li Canteen (crispy tofu bowls) in AK and the new Ale & Compass (plant burger and vegan bowls) at YC.

And I only have two words for sweet tooths: Erin McKenna's

ETA: Another two would be Dole Whip.
Just googled Eric McKennas at Disney Springs... there goes my budget! Will have a field day in there.

Thanks
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 17, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gelatoni View Post
Just googled Eric McKennas at Disney Springs... there goes my budget! Will have a field day in there.

Thanks
I've got the $200 GC and I've allocated half to the new Starbucks mugs and the other half to EM goodies.

Starbucks are great for making dairy free items as well - a lot of their flavoured syrups/sauces are vegan so just switching the milk to soy, almond or coconut is often enough. Love my soy mocha frappuccinos!
Old 11 Dec 17, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Mobile

I've got the $200 GC and I've allocated half to the new Starbucks mugs and the other half to EM goodies.

Starbucks are great for making dairy free items as well - a lot of their flavoured syrups/sauces are vegan so just switching the milk to soy, almond or coconut is often enough. Love my soy mocha frappuccinos!
Hope you enjoy. I could easily spend $200 in a cake shop!

Good to know about Starbucks too, although i'm caffeine free at the moment too. Feel like a walking allergy at the moment and no idea what exactly is making me ao sensitive to everything!
Old 11 Dec 17, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Wee_Red
Imagineer

Wee_Red's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I'm not veggie but have a milk allergy and pretty sure the whole cow is an issue. Double check menus, there's dairy in everything. I looked at a menu for the Olive Garden and cream/cheese free dishes were aplenty but on checking the dietary information, most contained milk somehow, Probably butter coated before grilling.
Wee_Red is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 17, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Hope you enjoy. I could easily spend $200 in a cake shop!

Good to know about Starbucks too, although i'm caffeine free at the moment too. Feel like a walking allergy at the moment and no idea what exactly is making me ao sensitive to everything!
I am caffeine free too. You can customise literally every step at Starbucks, it's why I'm such a fan of the chain. Plus you know, the cute mugs.

FWIW, DH is coeliac and before he was diagnosed with that, everything would set him off. Now that he has that under control, the other stuff has far less effect on him.

Also agree with the above. A lot of meats (and even most of the veg :angry are basted in butter. Ask for allergen menus and request things to be cooked plain. Disney are fantastic for this, it's half the reason I stay on property as I know we don't have to worry about anything.
Old 11 Dec 17, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Wee_Red View Post
I'm not veggie but have a milk allergy and pretty sure the whole cow is an issue. Double check menus, there's dairy in everything. I looked at a menu for the Olive Garden and cream/cheese free dishes were aplenty but on checking the dietary information, most contained milk somehow, Probably butter coated before grilling.
I know what you mean. I've experienced this when food shopping for the first time with the known milk allergy. Kept picking things up i thought would be OK - nope, milk again!
Old 11 Dec 17, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Mobile

I am caffeine free too. You can customise literally every step at Starbucks, it's why I'm such a fan of the chain. Plus you know, the cute mugs.

FWIW, DH is coeliac and before he was diagnosed with that, everything would set him off. Now that he has that under control, the other stuff has far less effect on him.

Also agree with the above. A lot of meats (and even most of the veg :angry are basted in butter. Ask for allergen menus and request things to be cooked plain. Disney are fantastic for this, it's half the reason I stay on property as I know we don't have to worry about anything.
That's a other reason I love Disney too that they are very accomodating. Bit nervous for my first 'vegan/allergy trip' though.

Tbh it's been a living nightmare last few weeks with constant skin issues, excrutiating stomach upset and pain, and generally feeling very unwell. All we've established so far is a mild milk allergy. Wheat allergy didn't show up but I have no idea if gluten intolerances/celiac would have shown up in the RAST allergy test.

My Dr doesn't seem to have a clue about anything either and has left me in limbo with immunosuppressants to stop me flaring up, and awaiting a hospital referral for patch testing.

It's beyond me if that is even the right kind of test to do. A paramedic that attended to me when i passed out with stomach pain said i had high blood sugar, but i'm clueless if that's relevant or not.

At one stage a few weeks ago I thought i'd never be well enough to go Disney again and that was the most upsetting part of all of it
Old 12 Dec 17, 12:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Wee_Red
Imagineer

Wee_Red's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
That's a other reason I love Disney too that they are very accomodating. Bit nervous for my first 'vegan/allergy trip' though.

Tbh it's been a living nightmare last few weeks with constant skin issues, excrutiating stomach upset and pain, and generally feeling very unwell. All we've established so far is a mild milk allergy. Wheat allergy didn't show up but I have no idea if gluten intolerances/celiac would have shown up in the RAST allergy test.

My Dr doesn't seem to have a clue about anything either and has left me in limbo with immunosuppressants to stop me flaring up, and awaiting a hospital referral for patch testing.

It's beyond me if that is even the right kind of test to do. A paramedic that attended to me when i passed out with stomach pain said i had high blood sugar, but i'm clueless if that's relevant or not.

At one stage a few weeks ago I thought i'd never be well enough to go Disney again and that was the most upsetting part of all of it
Nickel & Cobalt! Patch testing is actually hell. 5 days of keeping your back dry and nothing is more bleugh that not being able to wash sticky plaster residue off of your back. And if you are allergic to something and you're like me, it won't die down for about a week even after they remove it.

oh, and I'm allergic to antihistamines so when my stuff kicks up, I need it to die down naturally. :angry:

For wheat/gluten, I'm sure they get you to exclude it for weeks on end then introduce to your diet again. You know how the dairy thing goes,

Have you been tested for diabetes? That could explain blood sugar.
Wee_Red is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List