Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 12 Dec 17, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Wee_Red View Post
Nickel & Cobalt! Patch testing is actually hell. 5 days of keeping your back dry and nothing is more bleugh that not being able to wash sticky plaster residue off of your back. And if you are allergic to something and you're like me, it won't die down for about a week even after they remove it.

oh, and I'm allergic to antihistamines so when my stuff kicks up, I need it to die down naturally. :angry:

For wheat/gluten, I'm sure they get you to exclude it for weeks on end then introduce to your diet again. You know how the dairy thing goes,

Have you been tested for diabetes? That could explain blood sugar.
Oh god that sounds horrible! Didn't realise patch testing would be like that.

How did you know you were allergic to antihistamine by the way? I'm taking loratadine daily to help control symptoms.

I was tested for diabetes years ago, but i'm confused as some people say they were told to fast before or eat sugar etc, and take blood sugar at different times. I had none of that, just a blood test and 'no you're OK'...
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 17, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
ChesterDraws
Animal Kingdom Lodge Guest

I'm vegetarian and have found over the last few years at Disney that there are fewer and fewer vegetarian menu items but more vegan items. I find that Disney have very good practices in theory with regards to allergens but their general staff on food lines can lack either training or common sense in carrying out these practices. There will be dairy free/vegan items available but cross contamination on food lines lack of awareness of servers and quick service staff can result in servers using the same tongs or latex gloves for meat/dairy/ other allergens, even when serving vegan/dairy/allergen free food. Also, servers in table services restaurants seem to think if there's no meat in the description of the food (desserts with dairy/animal fat/gelatine or meals/sauces made with meat stock bases) then they're veggie and vegan.

I met a woman in a resort quick service who had been told by a chef that certain items on a quick service breakfast window were not suitable for her family member's allergy but that certain other items were. She chose the allergy free items for her family member's allergy free breakfast and watched as each item was served up using the same tongs that had been used to serve up all the other unsuitable food items for other guests. When she challenged this the server was adamant that the items were all suitable for the allergy sufferer, therefore ok to serve with the same tongs. In the end she had to ask a chef to come out and advise and the chef threw the plate in the trash and cooked her a separate allergy free meal instead.

Ask for chefs to talk you through what is and isn't suitable, and don't be afraid of asking to speak to chefs to ask for meals cooked separately from scratch. Also, each food location at Disney has an 'allergy book'. This is a book of all food items and their ingredients for all food locations on property. Ask to see it at each location and don't take the servers' word that food is allergy free if you have doubts. Also, don't be worried about asking for food to be served using separate clean tongs or gloves, or for food to be cooked separately, in clean pans. The chefs are clued up, but the servers sadly are not. And outside of Disney this is even worse.
ChesterDraws is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 17, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ChesterDraws View Post
I'm vegetarian and have found over the last few years at Disney that there are fewer and fewer vegetarian menu items but more vegan items. I find that Disney have very good practices in theory with regards to allergens but their general staff on food lines can lack either training or common sense in carrying out these practices. There will be dairy free/vegan items available but cross contamination on food lines lack of awareness of servers and quick service staff can result in servers using the same tongs or latex gloves for meat/dairy/ other allergens, even when serving vegan/dairy/allergen free food. Also, servers in table services restaurants seem to think if there's no meat in the description of the food (desserts with dairy/animal fat/gelatine or meals/sauces made with meat stock bases) then they're veggie and vegan.

I met a woman in a resort quick service who had been told by a chef that certain items on a quick service breakfast window were not suitable for her family member's allergy but that certain other items were. She chose the allergy free items for her family member's allergy free breakfast and watched as each item was served up using the same tongs that had been used to serve up all the other unsuitable food items for other guests. When she challenged this the server was adamant that the items were all suitable for the allergy sufferer, therefore ok to serve with the same tongs. In the end she had to ask a chef to come out and advise and the chef threw the plate in the trash and cooked her a separate allergy free meal instead.

Ask for chefs to talk you through what is and isn't suitable, and don't be afraid of asking to speak to chefs to ask for meals cooked separately from scratch. Also, each food location at Disney has an 'allergy book'. This is a book of all food items and their ingredients for all food locations on property. Ask to see it at each location and don't take the servers' word that food is allergy free if you have doubts. Also, don't be worried about asking for food to be served using separate clean tongs or gloves, or for food to be cooked separately, in clean pans. The chefs are clued up, but the servers sadly are not. And outside of Disney this is even worse.
I guess that's the part i'm dreading, being embaressed about having to make a fuss (at least i dread that's what they think), but i'm going to have to get used to it.

Hopefully by April I will have a better idea of exactly what is wrong with me and what to avoid.

Because my lips also keep swelling and itching on a daily basis i'm convinced it's dietary.
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 17, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
I'm not vegan, although I don't really eat eggs and do try to limit both meat and dairy so I end up choosing vegan options a lot.

The newer restaurants are definitely starting to cater specifically for vegans on their main menus, so I expect to see more vegan-friendly options rolling across the property as menus get refreshed. The two that spring to mind are Satu'li Canteen (crispy tofu bowls) in AK and the new Ale & Compass (plant burger and vegan bowls) at YC.
Both places have had " chef Omar " oversee the Veggie / vegan options he is on the ball with it
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 17, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Gelatoni, pop along to " trails end " and see Chef TJ , make 2 ADR's for your trip, you will want to go back

he does a 5 / 6 or 7 course Vegan treat
Old 12 Dec 17, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by matt987106 View Post
Gelatoni, pop along to " trails end " and see Chef TJ , make 2 ADR's for your trip, you will want to go back

he does a 5 / 6 or 7 course Vegan treat
Ooh that sounds good! I always associated Trails End with mountains of meat. Goes to show!
Old 12 Dec 17, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Mobile

Just saw this interestingly:

Walt Disney Parks & Resorts Honored With Allergy-Friendly Fare Award

wdwinfo/news-stories/...ly-fare-award/
Old 13 Dec 17, 01:15 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Gelatoni View Post
Ooh that sounds good! I always associated Trails End with mountains of meat. Goes to show!
The Buffet is fairly meat based

BUT

when you arrive, say you are Vegan and ask to speak to Chef TJ (chef tj sudiswa for his full name, but he likes Chef TJ ) , he is currently working Mon - Fri, but his schedule changes, I always book 2 nights, 1 weekend and 1 midweek, so you are bound to catch him ( next trip we are doubling up though ) though my wife says its not needed as i can see when he is working on FB

I have a link to a blog with his feast if you want to see it, though partly the surprise is better, as if you know what to expect its not as much fun

but seriously, its a must do
Old 13 Dec 17, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by matt987106 View Post
The Buffet is fairly meat based

BUT

when you arrive, say you are Vegan and ask to speak to Chef TJ (chef tj sudiswa for his full name, but he likes Chef TJ ) , he is currently working Mon - Fri, but his schedule changes, I always book 2 nights, 1 weekend and 1 midweek, so you are bound to catch him ( next trip we are doubling up though ) though my wife says its not needed as i can see when he is working on FB

I have a link to a blog with his feast if you want to see it, though partly the surprise is better, as if you know what to expect its not as much fun

but seriously, its a must do
I heard about Chef TJ while researching online. Might have to try Trails End then!
Old 13 Dec 17, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Wee_Red
Imagineer

Wee_Red's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Gelatoni View Post
Oh god that sounds horrible! Didn't realise patch testing would be like that.

How did you know you were allergic to antihistamine by the way? I'm taking loratadine daily to help control symptoms.

I was tested for diabetes years ago, but i'm confused as some people say they were told to fast before or eat sugar etc, and take blood sugar at different times. I had none of that, just a blood test and 'no you're OK'...
I think I struggled with it more psychologically - looking at marker pen and fluff sticking to the sticky bit. The process of applying them was a breeze, it's like big plasters they put on your back and then wee dots with a marker pen (mine was Monday). Because I did have allergies, I started to itch straight away. On Wednesday I went back, they took the plasters off, noted flare ups. They didn't put anymore on me but at that point, they can. Advised to keep back dry until I returned, Friday and then I could shower properly. My way of keeping clean was to run and sit in a shallow bath of water. Had my sister help wash my hair when I visited my mum

As for the antihistamines, I don't have to take anything in general so first tried them after reacting badly to the injections you get in school. Migraines, even more swollen and itchy skin.
Avoided them after that until my skin started flaring up in recent years. Doctor insisted on giving me them, insert further itch, sore head and the awfully pleasant skin peeling all over my mouth, swollen lips etc.
My pupils think I'm a walking disaster
Wee_Red is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List