Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 12 May 18, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
dvc
Imagineer

dvc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We love the food choices on site but the DDP is just too much food for us. It wouldn't make sense even if it was free.
dvc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 18, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Itsabunthing View Post
I do agree Stupet that it is also about the experience and convenience. Most of the restaurants (with the definite exception of Sci-Fi) had a great ambience or character interaction, even though we are all adults. I do like to have an enjoyable meal though.
We were going to stick with QSDP this year, but there we a few TS we wanted, and the convenience of staying in parks swung it, being able to max the Disney time - will miss some of the offsite places….

OKW though….love it - so chilled.
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 18, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
I agree. I don't think we will book with free dining again. We grabbed a last minute stay at AKL on our most recent visit without dining and we really struggled to find Disney restaurants to eat at that were reasonable value for money & had menu items we fancied. We did pay OOP for Boma, Raglan Road & Ohana which were all good, but had most of our meals offsite as we find the menus more varied and the food to be of similar or better standard for 1/2 the price.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 18, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Itsabunthing
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Having a fussy eater did limit some of our choices, and I agree that most are not good value. There's an excellent choice of QS restaurants with a great variety of foods, so think it will be a mixture of these and off-site next time.
Itsabunthing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 18, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi we have had DDP on 4 occasions now and didn't find we had to much food but we usually do 3/4 signatures in 10 days, narcoosses , Cali grill both great for fireworks afterwards, another favourite yachtsman followed by a few drinks in jelly rolls with duelling pianos. Perhaps don't rule it out completely but maybe alter how you would use it
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 18, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

We aren't doing dining plan and have cut right down on ADRs due to the plummeting quality/ price ratio.
This year I've been very selective, only going for ones that offer some semblance of value. We are DVC and are eating more QS and even some in room.
I've only booked:
-Beaches and Cream- best burgers probably and about $25 a person all in.
- Via Napoli- metre Pizza $55, feeds 4.
- Homecomin'- very good. Chicken thigh biscuits starter can be had as main.
- BOG lunch (no chance evening meal at New prices). Gets you sat down, air conditioned area, not too expensive at lunch.
- The Plaza - good value, decent food.
- Saana- very nice food, not bad prices.

I intend doing a report when I get back, focusing in on how much I saved and whether it affected my enjoyment.
Old 12 May 18, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Gingerdoo
Having Dinner with Goofy

Mobile

We’ve just returned from our first visit to WDW and had the DDP! I’m glad we did, however it did seem to be a lot of food. On our last day we had 10 TS meals and 10 snack credits. We managed to use them as sweets to bring home for presents for people!

I also think the meal options for the kids wasn’t the greatest, it seemed to be the same in every restaurant!
My 9 year old son was so happy when we went to mama melrose and he had pasta!
Gingerdoo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 18, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
pad406
VIP Dibber

pad406's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
This will be our first visit without the DDP and I'm really looking forward to it. Been going through all the 'What's your favourite off-site... ' posts.

We've actually been struggling to pick 4/5 on site restaurants to eat in. So far we are thinking of:
Teppan Edo
Chef Mickeys (don't laugh, it's a family tradition)
Hoop de Doo (which is actually a 'bad' use of DDP credits anyway. $67 v 2 credits)
Boma, we love here (mixed African & Irish family)

Funnily we're also heading back to Universal for 3N and it was pretty instant agreement on where to eat. Finnegans, Mythos and the Kitchen in the HRH

Christmas 2018/New Year 2019 (19N) BC - RPR - BC
Christmas 2016/New Year 2017 (18N). SF, LA, Disneyland & SD
Christmas 2014/New Year 2015 (21N). BWI, Hard Rock, Beach Club
April 2012 (21N). New York, Beach Club
Christmas 2010/New Year 2011 (15N). Polynesian & AKL
pad406 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 18, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
pad406
VIP Dibber

pad406's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Originally Posted by Gingerdoo View Post
I also think the meal options for the kids wasn’t the greatest, it seemed to be the same in every restaurant!
My 9 year old son was so happy when we went to mama melrose and he had pasta!
That was our biggest 'complaint' from out first visit in 2010. Wish they'd allow the possibility of smaller portions from the main menu for kids. Not an issue any more for us though

Christmas 2018/New Year 2019 (19N) BC - RPR - BC
Christmas 2016/New Year 2017 (18N). SF, LA, Disneyland & SD
Christmas 2014/New Year 2015 (21N). BWI, Hard Rock, Beach Club
April 2012 (21N). New York, Beach Club
Christmas 2010/New Year 2011 (15N). Polynesian & AKL
pad406 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 18, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Gingerdoo
Having Dinner with Goofy

Mobile

Originally Posted by pad406 View Post
That was our biggest 'complaint' from out first visit in 2010. Wish they'd allow the possibility of smaller portions from the main menu for kids. Not an issue any more for us though
We ate at boatwrights and he was allowed a steak, which was a smaller adults meal and he enjoyed it! He did say every meal that he wished he could choose from our menu!
Gingerdoo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List