Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 9 Jun 18, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
A buffet breakfast in the British equivalent of a deluxe Disney hotel wouldn't be far off.
Unfortunately the premier inn buffets are much bettter standard than the”deluxe “ Disney hotels imo. I think the food option will be far superior at the Ritz than say at the wave. A lot of the offsite hotels are more deluxe than Disney but it’s good marketing to brain wash people into thinking they are getting superior quality.
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 18, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
Unfortunately the premier inn buffets are much bettter standard than the”deluxe “ Disney hotels imo. I think the food option will be far superior at the Ritz than say at the wave. A lot of the offsite hotels are more deluxe than Disney but it’s good marketing to brain wash people into thinking they are getting superior quality.
I like the Premier Inn breakfasts. Personally I’ve never had one better than a Disney buffet breakfast though TBH. I actually think the Disney breakfasts are poor value as who wants to gorge themselves at 8am? Not me. They are much more expensive than any Premier Inn I’ve eaten at but also have a much wider choice of food as well.

Edited at 08:12 AM.
scoobydooby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 18, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Jaspercat10
VIP Dibber

I think in the UK you may go to somewhere like Alton Towers for the day and you pay the high prices as it’s a day out.. for ice cream drinks etc
With Disney, Universal etc.. we can be in parks for 3 weeks in a row so the theme park prices really do add up especially when you start eating full meals in there over the course of the holiday, also we eat out every night as I can’t be bothered to cook so it does become a big chunk of money nowhere else would you spend so long in such an expensive environment.
My husband was really grumpy last trip about the price of restaurant bills and what we were actually getting for our money... but I like it for the experience it’s part of the deal as such..
Jaspercat10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 18, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
I like the Premier Inn breakfasts. Personally I’ve never had one better than a Disney buffet breakfast though TBH. I actually think the Disney breakfasts are poor value as who wants to gorge themselves at 8am? Not me. They are much more expensive than any Premier Inn I’ve eaten at but also have a much wider choice of food as well.
I agree. I like a Premier Inn breakfast but the choice is pretty limited. The Comtemporay may not be The Ritz but it isn't a Premier Inn either.
Old 9 Jun 18, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mrsmickey View Post
I was thinking about this one... there are some places and meals that seem pretty good value; we had a nice lunch at KSC today that was pretty good value compared to what you would pay at a normal attraction for a similar meal. Disney is Disney and always will be. They will charge because they can and the majority of diners are on dining plans and just don’t notice the cost of what they are eating. BOG for lunch for 4 adults and 1 child was $100 which really isn’t that bad. Ohanas breakfast was another matter though...

However, this time, I’ve really noticed the price of basics - supermarket food, or a cup of coffee. A loaf of nice bread in Publix is $4 and a pack of ham $7. Equivalent in Tesco’s would be £1 and £2 - so it’s more than twice the price. Non staple stuff, that tourists wouldn’t buy, tends to be cheaper though!

The majority of diners aren't on "free" dining plans. They are however on much shorter visits than the typical British 2-3 weeks. If you are here for less than 5 days the high food prices in Disney are probably easier to ignore.

Your supermarket comparisons seem a bit off TBH. The pack sizes for sandwich meat tend to be a lot bigger here. I recently bought a pack of salami here for around $6 but it was 284g and had about 40 slices! Pretty sure the one in the UK was more like 10 slices for around 2GBP.
Old 9 Jun 18, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm going from an ADR every day in the past to only Beaches and Cream, Via Napoli, Be Our Guest Lunch, The Plaza and Saana. I've specifically chosen these as semi good value restaurants as I'm sick of being ripped off.
I also intend to do Yak and Yeti with the Landry card.
I also have Homecomin' booked but my FOP Fastpass is at 2.50 and I also have to have the car back that evening, so I've just reserve Tavern at Celebration as an earlier alternative.
I'm DVC and will be doing more quick service, also some meals back 'home', may as well use the full kitchen a bit.
I'll be reporting back on how much I've saved compared to DDP/ what I used to do and whether I get any less enjoyment on this trip. I'm not expecting I will.
Old 10 Jun 18, 12:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Katenbeth
Imagineer

I say this time and time again, a dollar is still a dollar, nothing has changed ! What Americans pay today is the same as yesterday ! The prices haven’t gone up significantly, but the exchange rate has gone down so.
Old 10 Jun 18, 12:13 AM  
Link to this Post
redemma13
Imagineer

redemma13's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I think that buying food and drink etc in the parks has always been expensive but I think they have bumped up the prices to make it look like "free dining" is much better value than it is.
Offsite,I think it is slightly more expensive than a few years ago but the food quality is great and for things like lobster,crab and Prawns I would get 4 prawn skewers with about 20 prawns in Orlando for less than $30 and here in Aberdeen,on the coast I would get about 3 king prawns in a £10 starter! So I don't mind paying as it is still cheaper than eating out here 3 times a day!

Em
xxxx
redemma13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 18, 01:25 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsmickey
Very Serious Dibber

The majority of diners aren't on "free" dining plans. They are however on much shorter visits than the typical British 2-3 weeks. If you are here for less than 5 days the high food prices in Disney are probably easier to ignore.

Your supermarket comparisons seem a bit off TBH. The pack sizes for sandwich meat tend to be a lot bigger here. I recently bought a pack of salami here for around $6 but it was 284g and had about 40 slices! Pretty sure the one in the UK was more like 10 slices for around 2GBP.
Get the point on the dining plans. The prices for supermarkets are what I’ve paid this week... I did hunt around for cheaper but whilst I could get cheaper pre packed bread (the full of sugar stuff), cooked meats was horribly expensive. It was notably dearer than what I’ve paid before. I didn’t look at salami as it’s not something I eat, it could be it’s much cheaper than ham.

On the plus side, just went to steak and shake; 4 adults and one child, $43 for dinner! It’s cheaper than Mccyd’s, and the shakes are amazing
mrsmickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 18, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
A buffet breakfast in the British equivalent of a deluxe Disney hotel wouldn't be far off.
Absolutely
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List