Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 8 Jul 18, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Underrated Disney World table service restaurants - have your say!

Here is the imaginatively titled sister thread to the Overrated restaurants chat which can be found here: https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1088295

So this time let's talk about restaurants that are kind of under the radar, rarely mentioned compared to others but hidden gems. Or just talk about your favourite restaurants and why you love them so much!

I'll start with:

Monsieur Paul

For some reason this signature restaurant is rarely mentioned next to Cali Grill, Jiko etc etc but it is in my top 3.

Being French it was on my must go list simply because legendary French chef Paul Bocuse was one of the brains behind it. Sadly he passed away last year but in France he's revered as a God of Food. So of course I had to go.

I went for the set menu which is $89 or 2 DP credits plus $30, so pricey but so worth it. The place is elegant and more intimate than other signatures, great for a date night or special occasion. If you seat by the windows you can have a great view of Illuminations.

Now the food is simply spectacular. For starter I had the VGE black truffle soup. VGE stands for Valery Giscard d'Estaing, who was the French president in the late 70s/early 80s, as Paul Bocuse created this dish for him at the time for an official dinner. It contains beef broth, oxtail, vegetables, black winter truffle, topped with puff pastry. Note that the original recipe included duck foie gras, not here.

Then I had the best lobster ever: Maine Lobster with Sautéed Mushrooms with mollet quail egg and creamy black truffle bouillon.

Dessert was wonderful and very rich: "Le Moelleux" (or "The Moist One" in English lol): Warm chocolate and almond cake with raspberry coulis in the center, hazelnut crust, hazelnut ice cream.

Good portions, wonderful staff, amazing matching wines... Why is it not more talked about?

Expectation: 10. Reality: 11!

Edited at 10:31 AM.
YLL is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 18, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Carlmelia
Imagineer

Carlmelia's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Happy to give a balance to my overrated restaurants reply on the other thread

Citricos - food was excellent and very well cooked. Server was attentive, interested in us and never rushed us. Overall one of the best and most memorable meals on site.

Garden Grill - great food, character interaction and service. Reminds us of how eating at WDW used to be say 20 years ago with that special Disney magic that seems to be going out of a lot of restaurants.

Tony’s Town Square Restaurant - we couldn’t honestly see why it got such poor/average reviews. Food was good and service up there with the likes of CG. Probably best meal we’ve had in MK having done BOG, CP, CRT over the years.
Carlmelia is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 18, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
murdi
Very Serious Dibber

As with all of these threads everyone's experience is different. While at Monsieur Paul the standard of food was good I found the restaurant itself completely lacking in atmosphere. The staff seemed to be going through the motions and stood about chatting in groups. About half way through a glass of wine I discovered a small fly in the glass. The waiter took it away and brought back what appeared to be a glass with exactly the same amount of wine minus the fly. Surely a new glass should have been poured instead of fishing out the fly from the original one. Poor stuff. Perhaps this colours my recollection but I won't be back.

Edited at 01:50 PM.
murdi is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 18, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Carlmelia View Post
Tony’s Town Square Restaurant - we couldn’t honestly see why it got such poor/average reviews. Food was good and service up there with the likes of CG. Probably best meal we’ve had in MK having done BOG, CP, CRT over the years.
Wow, did you go in the last 6 months? With the new chef, things seem to have improved but I didn't it would have improved to the level you described!
YLL is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 18, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by murdi View Post
As with all of these threads everyone's experience is different. While the standard of food was good I found the restaurant itself completely lacking in atmosphere. The staff seemed to be going through the motions and stood about chatting in groups. About half way through a glass of wine I discovered a small fly in the glass. The waiter took it away and brought back what appeared to be a glass with exactly the same amount of wine minus the fly. Surely a new glass should have been poured instead of fishing out the fly from the original one. Poor stuff. Perhaps this colours my recollection but I won't be back.
Oh no sorry this happened! But yeah we can only describe our own experiences and mine was flawless. ☺
Old 8 Jul 18, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
sbuck93
Apprentice Imagineer

Citricos - it's not mentioned half as much as CG, Narcoossees & Yachtsman, but we found it spectacular. The service, the ambience, and most importantly the food was just amazing.

Vegas.Disney.MCFC
sbuck93 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 18, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Carlmelia
Imagineer

Carlmelia's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by YLL View Post
Wow, did you go in the last 6 months? With the new chef, things seem to have improved but I didn't it would have improved to the level you described!
No, it was a couple of years ago. We thought it was very very good tbh and had no complaints about food or service. Very underrated for us.
Carlmelia is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 18, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by sbuck93 View Post
Citricos - it's not mentioned half as much as CG, Narcoossees & Yachtsman, but we found it spectacular. The service, the ambience, and most importantly the food was just amazing.
I only went to Citricos as part of the Highway in the Sky Dinearound evening so we were limited to one dish there (braised rib and fish, can't remember which one) and that was in a private room so did not get the full experience. It's on my list for the next trip!
Old 8 Jul 18, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
wed2ared
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Skipper canteen

Great service and food and it feels very spacious rather than crammed in and a bit of peace away from the heat & crowds.

Tonys for us too

Changed plans last minute and that was the only reservation we could get. Food was nice and server was lovely. Its not themed or character obviously so maybe poor credit use in comparison gives it low reviews.

Both last october

Edited at 11:48 AM.
wed2ared is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 18, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Mobile

Definitely need to try Skipper Canteen next time, I keep hearing good things.