Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Closed Thread

Old 6 Aug 18, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyFoodie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mumsy554 View Post
Does anyone think that the "suggested" amount to be tipped in restaurants should be changed or even scrapped altogether.I am certainly not against tipping for good service ,but I don't want to feel guilty about not giving a suggested amount and don't think someone should expect a certain amount ,surely something is better than nothing,and with the current dollar exchange rate we are getting less and less for our money so less spending money on a holiday that has probably taken quite a while to save for
Yep I do think the system is silly, just as I think our British rail system is economically ridiculous. But I still pay my tip for the same reason I pay my train fare... it is socially and economically expected of me.
DisneyFoodie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
Mumsy that's our problem not theirs. Doesn't matter if you leave 1% or 18% the server will still be taxed as assuming they got 18%.
No they won't. This is one of those urban myths.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Gezzs
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
The "suggested" amounts, in theory, are there to help all those guests that are sitting with their calculators & working it out
If this is the case (as I understood it was), then no-one should be questioning any deviation from the 'suggested' amount. It's not a problem for me cos if they provide bad service, I will let them or the manager know. I will not leave 15% for bad service either.

Florida: July 2009, Aug 2011, Sept 2014, Sept 2018, Sept 2024
Disneyland Paris: Dec 2023
Gezzs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Mumsy554
Gone all Goofy

Maybe Disney should be made to pay their staff a decent wage,Disney must be worth billions surely
Mumsy554 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

It's not just Disney. IN the US, restaurnats pay their waitstaff pennies (some don't pay at all). It is expected that tips will be their wages. While many may disagree with the practice. It is what it is and IMHO not something to debate or withhold. If you don't want to tip, go to a restaurant with take out and bring it home.

And while some waiters make really good money, many are living hand to mouth. While bringing home half of $1200. per night sounds great, some people may only get one or two shifts a week, hardly a living wage.

And to those who have walked out without paying because of service they did not like, the aiter has to pay your bill.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyFoodie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
It's not just Disney. IN the US, restaurnats pay their waitstaff pennies (some don't pay at all). It is expected that tips will be their wages. While many may disagree with the practice. It is what it is and IMHO not something to debate or withhold. If you don't want to tip, go to a restaurant with take out and bring it home.

And while some waiters make really good money, many are living hand to mouth. While bringing home half of $1200. per night sounds great, some people may only get one or two shifts a week, hardly a living wage.

And to those who have walked out without paying because of service they did not like, the aiter has to pay your bill.
100% agree. If you want to change the way this works, write to the federal government, or the state of Florida. Do not randomly stiff the wait staff because you disagree with the way their culture and economy works!
DisneyFoodie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Excited6910
Imagineer

We tip accordingly.

Loved our Second “once in a lifetime" so much we're doing it again
Excited6910 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post

it doesn' matter if the wait staff get enough tips to cover thier wages or not. It is up to the employer to then make up the difference to the minimum wage in those states that allow tips to be part of the minimum wage.

I think the OP has had thier answer so this thread should probably be locked to stop any discussions getting out of hand.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
One final thought before this does get locked, anyone that is complaining should have a quick look at Federal law Wait staff can be paid a whopping $2.13/hour, the restaurant is allowed to use their tips to make this up to $7.53, minimum wage, & even better those "mandatory gratuities" for 6 or more, they don't actually have to give the server any of that as only discretionary payments are classed as tips!
Oh on a discussion with an local employment agent, he stated that Disney are infamous for their wages but they "own" the local workforce.
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
DurhamGirl
VIP Dibber

We always tip the minimum 18% (pre-tax) for normal service, we pay 20%+ for good service. This applies to restaurants inside or outside Disney. For buffet service, then $1-£2 per person. This is factored into the budget for the holiday.
DurhamGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread