Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 20 Sep 18, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
cameroon95
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

The myth of great service at American restaurants

We are over here just now and have been to several eateries and would add that at nearly all of them we have had much better service at home .

In fact most of the service is either slightly rude , rushed or we are left waiting on our bill .

It's crazy as an industry dependant on tips they are really not any better than home.
FYI this is our 15th visit , does anyone else agree on this ?
cameroon95 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I have read on here a long time ago that it was suggested that the servers are no so bothered with the Brits as we are bad tippers, so they leave us till last. I'm not sure about this as we have always had good servers (mostly)

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Or maybe they think their tip is a sure thing and they don’t need to earn it.
I also found the service to be no different to anywhere I eat at home ( yes I did always tip 20%) Maybe we should have a card to put on the table saying we understand the tipping system so please treat us the same as your other customers !

OP if your server is rude then I would make sure the manager knew and that you would not be leaving a tip. If we wait too long for the bill we get up as if to leave- they soon come then !
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Is it rushed or just not slow? Americans like their food served quickly and would complain if there was a long wait between courses. Europeans prefer a slow leisurely meal and I think Brits are somewhere in between.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
neatfrk
Imagineer

Is it rushed or just not slow? Americans like their food served quickly and would complain if there was a long wait between courses. Europeans prefer a slow leisurely meal and I think Brits are somewhere in between.
Perfectly said. We have little patience over here...and want our orders on the table mere moments after we utter our picks. The only exception would be at a 'really nice' restaurant.
neatfrk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
OP if your server is rude then I would make sure the manager knew and that you would not be leaving a tip. If we wait too long for the bill we get up as if to leave- they soon come then !
This is our method too, we ask nicely once, wait 5 mins then I stand up with my bag ...
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure & POR Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Interesting thread, and we have noticed on occasions that some servers have definitely given fair better service to Americans than us.

The service is usually okay but not excellent in most restaurants
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
We’ve travelled extensively in the USA and I cannot recall ever having bad service. We were once so rushed in a WDW restaurant by the main courses being delivered before we’d eaten our appetisers, that we asked the server to take them away again. She was really nice and explained that most Americans want to eat and leave and advised us that in future, to tell the server that you want a break between courses. We have done that ever since and it’s not been a problem

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS

Edited at 10:20 PM.
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
pegasus928
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by sophiepop View Post
I have read on here a long time ago that it was suggested that the servers are no so bothered with the Brits as we are bad tippers
This, as far as I am concerned, is a myth. I have worked with many Americans over the years, both here and abroad, and I always bring up the topic of tipping as I like to get their perspective. I have yet to meet a single one who hasn't been shocked that we tip anywhere near 20% - and as Brits in general don't like the confrontation many will pay whatever is suggested on the bill without question - as I used to until my recent trips when I began to feel I was being taken for a mug.

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
Or maybe they think their tip is a sure thing and they don’t need to earn it.
This, to me, is much closer to the truth and backs up the idea that we will tip whatever is on the bill, and will tip well compared to general opinion. If we didn't tip well I would expect them to raise their game to justify a $50 tip for half an hours work.
pegasus928 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Palm trees
Apprentice Imagineer

I've been thinking back through restaurant experiences in Florida and I can't actually remember a bad one. We had slow service on one occasion in one of the parks but the place was heaving so I can't really count that. I know the views on tips vary but my own take on it is just to consider a 20% tip as part of the bill and mentally add it into the cost when I'm looking at the menu. I just see it as part of the cost of the holiday.
Palm trees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List