Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 25 Sep 18, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I understand that US service is quicker and that is deemed good service, but I would consider starter and main together to be bad service and I would send the main back if that happened.

I have never ordered starters or mains separately in the US, which I have visited many times. I have dined with plenty of Americans and have never seen them do this either. Never hard starter and main brought together.
We must have cross posted!

As I said above, fair enough. But in the 10 years I have been on the Dibb I have seen people post about it many times, and seen that explanation given many times by locals. Perhaps it is more common in some places than others.
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 18, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Interesting thread. I happen to be one of the "Don't make a fuss - pay the suggested tip amount" people but, having read through this thread I realise that this category of person can also be classed as "mug".

A number of people saying they don't tip the full amount as they don't get great service and I would be interested to know how much they would tip/have tipped and what the reaction from the server was? It was interesting to hear about the person that had "under-tipped" by 50c in Ihop.

Unfortunately, I don't know any Americans that I can ask about how much they tip - but it would be interesting to know.
Old 25 Sep 18, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
We must have cross posted!

As I said above, fair enough. But in the 10 years I have been on the Dibb I have seen people post about it many times, and seen that explanation given many times by locals. Perhaps it is more common in some places than others.
Not everybody that goes to US or lives in the US is in the dibb.

Perhaps a self perpetuating myth has been created on the dibb that you need to order starters and mains separately. That is, somebody mentions it, so somebody else does it, then they later post they order separately and in it goes.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 18, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

I find the wait to pay the bill the worst. Once or twice I've got up and gone to the hostess station at the front and said "I'm leaving now but nobody has come to take my payment". It gets sorted pretty quick then, but I deduct a bit from the tip for wasting my time!

My worst service was in a TGI Fridays (which just proves they are rubbish across the world). Took our (breakfast) drinks order. We asked for a few more minutes as we were still deliberating. She came back a couple of minutes later with the drinks. We were ready but she said she'd be back in a minute and went to another table. She then disappeared and we didn't see her again. After 10 minutes we had finished our drinks and asked another server if we could order. She said we'd have to wait for our server but she'd tell her to come back. Another 10 minutes, no server, so we got up and left. I didn't pay for the drinks.

Funnily enough the day before in the same hotel we'd been to Rainforest Cafe (this was all in Niagara Falls on the US side and the restaurants were both inside the hotel). The kitchen lost our food order. Our server could not have been more apologetic and brilliant. We got free souvenir glasses, 2 free rounds of (alcoholic) drinks, and a free $20 card for the arcade next door. With the 10% off for being a Landry's cardholder and another $10 coupon we had as well the bill was peanuts. We left her a $40 cash tip.
Old 25 Sep 18, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I am American and I always tip comensurate with service. Just went out to lunch with a friend, had really good service and tipped $10. on a $30. bill.

I always tip and would never reduce my tip due to something that is out of the server's control (being out of an entree, food being improperly cooked, etc,). For mediocre service I tip around 15%, sometimes a little less.

I would never walk out without paying the bill. That is stealing, plain and simple. If you cannot wait for the bill, you can ask a hostess or manager. If you haven't been able to order, ask a manager to intervene and let him know you will not be placing an i\order but pay for what you have consumed.

I have always ordered a starter with my entree if I am to have one and never had it come out too soon. But I usually don't have both and also seldom want a long leisurely meal in a restaurant.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 18, 04:44 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
I am American and I always tip comensurate with service. Just went out to lunch with a friend, had really good service and tipped $10. on a $30. bill.

I always tip and would never reduce my tip due to something that is out of the server's control (being out of an entree, food being improperly cooked, etc,). For mediocre service I tip around 15%, sometimes a little less.

I would never walk out without paying the bill. That is stealing, plain and simple. If you cannot wait for the bill, you can ask a hostess or manager. If you haven't been able to order, ask a manager to intervene and let him know you will not be placing an i\order but pay for what you have consumed.

I have always ordered a starter with my entree if I am to have one and never had it come out too soon. But I usually don't have both and also seldom want a long leisurely meal in a restaurant.
I don’t think anyone said they walk out without paying. About twenty years ago, I read a book called “How to complain”. The advice in a situation where you have tried and failed to get anyone to bring the restaurant bill was to get up as if to leave and so said the book “you will be met at the door with your bill”. I think that is all people are suggesting.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 18, 06:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I don’t think anyone said they walk out without paying. About twenty years ago, I read a book called “How to complain”. The advice in a situation where you have tried and failed to get anyone to bring the restaurant bill was to get up as if to leave and so said the book “you will be met at the door with your bill”. I think that is all people are suggesting.
A couple of posts back someone did say they left a restaurant without paying for their drinks because their food order had not been taken. In this instance I personally would have left enough on the table to cover the cost of the drinks.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 18, 07:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Mole83
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
I always tip and would never reduce my tip due to something that is out of the server's control
But who gets the tips in the USA? is it just the server or are they split between everyone in the restaurant, chef, pot wash and so on..?
Mole83 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 18, 07:12 AM  
Link to this Post
tim17
slightly serious Dibber

Threads like this crack me up, if you really want to experience bad service come to France in the summer when restaurants are packed at lunchtimes. You'll never complain about poor service ever again.
tim17 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 18, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by neilhd View Post
I find the wait to pay the bill the worst. Once or twice I've got up and gone to the hostess station at the front and said "I'm leaving now but nobody has come to take my payment". It gets sorted pretty quick then, but I deduct a bit from the tip for wasting my time!

My worst service was in a TGI Fridays (which just proves they are rubbish across the world). Took our (breakfast) drinks order. We asked for a few more minutes as we were still deliberating. She came back a couple of minutes later with the drinks. We were ready but she said she'd be back in a minute and went to another table. She then disappeared and we didn't see her again. After 10 minutes we had finished our drinks and asked another server if we could order. She said we'd have to wait for our server but she'd tell her to come back. Another 10 minutes, no server, so we got up and left. I didn't pay for the drinks.

Funnily enough the day before in the same hotel we'd been to Rainforest Cafe (this was all in Niagara Falls on the US side and the restaurants were both inside the hotel). The kitchen lost our food order. Our server could not have been more apologetic and brilliant. We got free souvenir glasses, 2 free rounds of (alcoholic) drinks, and a free $20 card for the arcade next door. With the 10% off for being a Landry's cardholder and another $10 coupon we had as well the bill was peanuts. We left her a $40 cash tip.
I couldn't agree with you more with regards waiting to pay the bill, and I used to do the same as you. I now usually ask for the bill when we have our mains as we rarely have dessert. I always ensure I have lots notes in all vales and leave the money and tip in cash and no more waiting around. Plus it saves the odd cheeky server asking me if I want change out of a $100 note when the meal came to $70!
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List