Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 29 Nov 17, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
you can either get a 3 parks ticket, or a 2 parks ticket AND a Volcano Bay ticket when you're there, is weather is good on your visit

currently ( ends tomorrow ) universal runs their black friday sale, and you can get a 2 days 3 parks + 2 days free ticket ( = you have 4 days to visit all 3 parks, including hopping) for the price of a 2 days 3 parks tickets ($294.99 + tax per person)
tickets2.universalorlando.co...ets/index.html

tickets must be purchased before 30/11 and be activated (first used) by 11 may 2018 (from your ticker that should be fine for you
Do you have to do 4 consecutive days? I have a chronic illness and will be taking plenty of rest days, hence going for 3 weeks so we have time to do what we want to do. A pass like that would be a good idea if we could space them out.

Definitely doing SeaWorld as well, I know it can be a bit marmite but it is something that I know we will enjoy, am also going to do Discovery Cove.

Good to know it isn't all just about the rides. We are there from Feb 13th until March 6th. Is this warm enough for the water parks?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 17, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by HarryJPotter View Post
Do you have to do 4 consecutive days? I have a chronic illness and will be taking plenty of rest days, hence going for 3 weeks so we have time to do what we want to do. A pass like that would be a good idea if we could space them out.
The 4 days don't have to be consecutive but they must be used within a 7 day period. So you could have a rest day between each day.

(These tickets used to be valid over a 14 day period but Universal changed the validity period for some reason)

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 17, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
captbnut
slightly serious Dibber

Harry Potter

Just my family's experience, but we really did not like Universal as only I'm interested in fast stuff. What I said to my kids (brave 10 and not brave 8) is that Disney want you to have fun, Universal want to scare you. Everything there is taller, faster, wetter etc. Upthread people have said about simulators - my youngest did not like Star Tours or FoP. Forbidden Journey terrified him. The rapids are like being chucked in a river, you get soaked.

For me, before buying universal tickets, go to Alton Towers. If you don't want to ride the Big 6 then you will not get your money's worth at Universal, even if like us you are all massive Harry Potter fans.

There is so much at Disney if you don't like rides you will have an amazing time but I would happily have my grand back from Universal tickets. If you just want HP you could do it all easily in a day. The Hogwarts Express is good fun if you're happy to pay for the park hopper.

Edited at 04:18 PM. Reason: Adding
captbnut is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 17, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by captbnut View Post
Just my family's experience, but we really did not like Universal as only I'm interested in fast stuff. What I said to my kids (brave 10 and not brave 8) is that Disney want you to have fun, Universal want to scare you. Everything there is taller, faster, wetter etc. Upthread people have said about simulators - my youngest did not like Star Tours or FoP. Forbidden Journey terrified him. The rapids are like being chucked in a river, you get soaked.

For me, before buying universal tickets, go to Alton Towers. If you don't want to ride the Big 6 then you will not get your money's worth at Universal, even if like us you are all massive Harry Potter fans.

There is so much at Disney if you don't like rides you will have an amazing time but I would happily have my grand back from Universal tickets. If you just want HP you could do it all easily in a day. The Hogwarts Express is good fun if you're happy to pay for the park hopper.
I'd totally disagree with this. I'm the only thrill seeker in my family but we all love Universal and did even before the Harry Potter stuff. The water rides are just the best, I've never laughed so much as I did on Bilge Rat barges. You do get soaked (perhaps it helps that we go in August). Spiderman is one of my favourite rides anywhere and we all love men in Black and the nostalgia that's ET.

I guess what I'm saying OP is that everyone has their own favourites and what one loves might just miss the grade for other people.
Old 30 Nov 17, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
firsttimemouse
Very Serious Dibber

We spent a few days at universal during our holiday. My ds7 is most definitely in team wimp. He did enjoy the time there but he didn't do lots of rides.

He loved the interactive wand spells in the Harry Potter bits and liked looking around there, rode the hogwarts train but no way would he have managed the two main hp rides. He did manage Spider-Man, et, Seuss rides, the rapids (can't remember name) and the few other kiddie type rides dotted about. I think he would have tried out transformers but didn't get to that one in the end.

It's so personal but None of our family would be that bothered about going back to universal. We're all glad we went though. It's fun but didn't feel magical like Disney. I'm sure you'll have enough to do when you're there, particularly if you're into Harry Potter.

Edited at 11:25 PM.
firsttimemouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 17, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
firsttimemouse
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by HarryJPotter View Post
Thanks. Should be right up my street. I liked the 4D Ninjago ride at Legoland but I suspect this was a lot tamer as it never felt like you were falling. Although I guess you could shut your eyes lol.

Would a 2 day pass for Universal be enough? We will do Volcano Bay too, wouldn't that make 3 parks?
I've been on the ninjago ride and would say that's comparable to buzz light year/ toy story midway mania rides. The simulators at universal are a step up but I would give the Spider-Man one a go. Minion rush is good ride for all and there are static seats in there as well. The Harry Potter rides are quite a few steps up in my opinion.

You won't have a problem at Disney loads for everyone there, that's one of the reasons we loved it as so much to do as a family.
2018 DLP Newport bay
2019 DLP Newport bay
firsttimemouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 17, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by captbnut View Post

Maybe you set your family up to not enjoy Universal by saying “Disney want you to have fun Universal want to scare you”!

I agree with the next poster each to there own. If I didn’t do rides at Disney then I would not enjoy it at all as I have little to no interest in parades, character meets or fireworks. In Universal, as a HP fan, I would still get plenty of enjoyment from the theming.

Personally I think both Disney and Universal have a very small number of “big” rides that some won’t like, but most things can be enjoyed by the majority.
Old 1 Dec 17, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
CABLECAR1974
Excited about Disney

DW doesn't do fast or high rides but she's always found enough in all parks to want to go back time after time.
CABLECAR1974 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 17, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks all. It's hard to gauge until you are there. I am thinking that we won't need the buy 7 days, get 7 days free passes that see to be mainly on offer for Universal. I did price up the 4 day pass (2 days +2 days free) and separate Disney 14 day passes but it actually worked out a little bit more expensive than the 14 day combined Universal and Disney pass. I am holding out to see if Disney to 25% off again, or any other discount.

My 7 year old will be very reluctant to do some rides so I think there will be a split of 2 and 2 as my 10 year old will do medium rides I think. DH is more likely to go on than me as I get funny headed through anything! Quite annoying really. I'm still really looking forward to just the whole atmosphere and the Harry Potter stuff. We have done the studio tour here and loved it so imagine it will be like that but better.
Old 1 Dec 17, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney2010
Imagineer

Disney2010's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
My Mum is definitely not a ride fan. She struggles with even some of the medium ones some times. And yet she would gladly return time after time (if money allows!).
As I get older, I prefer the rides at Disney & am less bothered about queuing for the adrenaline 'junkie' type coasters at Universal.
I often find I enjoy the family rides more when we are all laughing together. One of our favourite rides as always 'Cat in the Hat' at IOA (when it used to spin properly) as we giggled the entire way round.
And you can't beat the water rides on a hot day - Laughing at one another getting drenched, hehe.

Still lots & lots to do... You'll have an amazing time

Zoe x