Notices

Old 28 Dec 17, 04:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

SoCal Christmas 2017: Day 5 Joshua Tree to San Diego

Not a cloud in the sky this morning!

We were all awake by 6.30am and down to breakfast by 7.15. It seemed busier today! The usual mixtures of bagels, yoghurts and coffee were had.

We managed to get a slightly later check out of 1pm. This just gave us a bit more flexibility. We were all packed but preferred to leave our stuff in the hotel than the car.

We were out by 8am and parked up at Skull's Rock by 8.20am! The park was still quiet!

This was meant to be a loop walk but we somehow lost the loop (and were nit the only ones! )

So we made our own circuit. Up and down rocks and through crevasses! Again the scenery was stunning!

It really is a special place!

We got back to the car and headed off to Ryan's Ranch Trail. This was a lot more exposed than the other walks - basically a half mile walk to an old derelict ranch.

Some lovely Joshua trees though!

We could see why there would be a ranch here - good visibility and the ground seemed damper. Today it was hot - 21C by 10am. Unfortunately it gave me a headache (even though I had a hat on)!

Everyone else enjoyed exploring the area - we saw a few rabbits and birds.

We walked back to the car and decided to head back to the hotel. The only other walk we wanted to do was one of 2 hours do as it was getting close to 11am we didn't have the time.

We stopped at the NP shop to pick up magnets - there was a long queue of cars waiting to get in! We had been lucky to go early - a lot less people!

We went back to the hotel and had a bit of a rest before checking out.

We had really loved our stay here! Such an amazing place!

We hit the road. We decided to try to do about an hour before finding lunch.

In Banning we turned off and ended up at an IHOP. Three of us had breakfasts (with hash browns replacing the meat). O gad french toast...

While F had chocolate chip pancakes. I had the nut ones and J had an omelette. We all drank water. The bill was $61 including tip.

The drive to San Diego was fairly straightforward. However at times there are 8 lanes do poor J had to have his wits about him. Thankfully we got to the apartment in Mission Beach without incident but J was tired!

The apartment is as it looks on the airbnb site! J can't get the TV to work so I have sent a message to the owner! As you can see it is the biggest TV known to man

We walked to the nearest supermarket to get some food. J and I got a salad each and the kids got salmon burgers. We also got things in for breakfast.

There was talk of a wander down to the beach but again we are all tired! Not long before we are all in bed I think!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 17, 04:56 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 28 Dec 17 3:56 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 17, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

More fab scenery Mel. Breakfast looks tasty and the apartment looks amazing. I'm going to check out AirBnB for Toronto next year.
Old 28 Dec 17, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Some great walks and scenery at JT Park looks like you all enjoyed it

Joan
Old 28 Dec 17, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

A great day. Really enjoyed San Diego and looking forward to seeing where you went.
Old 29 Dec 17, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I am glad you got lost on that loop - because so did I - and I don't feel so bad now!
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 17, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

More fabulous photos. The apartment looks great. Looking forward to San Diego-it's another one on my list!
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 17, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
LuvPluto
Proud to wear my Ears

More lovely photos. That blue sky looks amazing could do with some of that now instead of the grey sky we have had for the last few days.
LuvPluto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 17, 05:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
More fab scenery Mel. Breakfast looks tasty and the apartment looks amazing. I'm going to check out AirBnB for Toronto next year.
We use Airbnb a lot! My advice is to read the reviews - all of them

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Some great walks and scenery at JT Park looks like you all enjoyed it

Joan
It was a hit all round! Perfect weather in a stunning place!

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
A great day. Really enjoyed San Diego and looking forward to seeing where you went.
Thank you! So far SD has meant chilling out and lots and f beach time! My kids vetoed the zoo and aquarium in favour of the great outdoors

Originally Posted by georgemac View Post
I am glad you got lost on that loop - because so did I - and I don't feel so bad now!
Phew - I think most people don't get past the skull!

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
More fabulous photos. The apartment looks great. Looking forward to San Diego-it's another one on my list!
The apartment is good - we love the location!

Originally Posted by LuvPluto View Post
More lovely photos. That blue sky looks amazing could do with some of that now instead of the grey sky we have had for the last few days.
We have been so lucky with the weather - it is apparently about 10-15F warmer than this time last year!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 17, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Stunning scenery again , busy morning before your travels !
8 lanes of traffic, eek. That's scary.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List