Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 May 18, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
brummymummy
Imagineer

brummymummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Guidebook Photos: 90
If your going by Lufthansa we might be on the same flight the day before.

Originally Posted by FloridaDave View Post
We fly MAN-FRA-MIA in August and the arrival and departure from FRA is Terminal 1.

From what I read connecting in Frankfurt is easy. It should be just a case of following the signs for Z gates which are on level 3. There is an app. for the airport on Apple Store (I guess Android too).
2012 Pre-trippie
brummymummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 18, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by brummymummy View Post
If your going by Lufthansa we might be on the same flight the day before.
Yes we are - 06:15 flight from Manchester on Sat 11th.

Coming back Lufthansa too but MCO-FRA-MAN
FloridaDave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 18, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

Originally Posted by magickate View Post
It's all signposted.
On way out we arrived & departed In the same terminal so very simple. Coming back we had to get to a different terminal but you just follow signage to your gate.
We had exactly the same as this last August. All very straightforward. Nice airport to connect in.
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 18, 12:14 AM  
Link to this Post
brummymummy
Imagineer

brummymummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Guidebook Photos: 90
Ah we are coming back from mia. I wish I had looked at that lol but will know for next time.
2012 Pre-trippie
brummymummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 18, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by brummymummy View Post
Ah we are coming back from mia. I wish I had looked at that lol but will know for next time.
When we booked flights last September it was cheaper to return from MCO than MIA, and cheaper to fly into MIA than MCO. Worked out well as we’ve tailored our trip to go to Key West at the start as not been before.
FloridaDave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 18, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

I was in FRA yesterday (sigh, vacations over ...), and use that airport quite frequently for indirects to the US

first of all, the information is current. So far the UK are still in Schengen area. Whatever will happen post Brexit re:entering the EU is still unknown

UK->FRA->US : you will land at T1
99% chances your plane will stop on the tarmac, and you will need to go down the stairs to a bus waiting at the foot of those stairs.
the bus will then get you to T1 which is a secure zone (no security again as you'll still be airside and have cleared security at your UK airport)

when you're inside T1 you will need to follow the signs to connections (follow the signs to Z)
be prepared to walk, walk and walk

at that moment you'll be at pier A

basically, Terminal 1 has 2 piers
pier A (domestic) is downstairs and pier Z (international) is upstairs

as you follow the signs to Z you will come upon a passport check. Get in line depending your fare class (economy, business, for example) and have your passport checked by the Polizei

then you will find escalators, and go up to Z

you may then have to walk, walk, and walk to your departure gate.

we had 1h50mins for our connection and were at our next boarding gate with about 1hr to spare.

---

on the way back (we flew MIA-FRA on the A380 2 days ago, on saturday 12th) you will be arriving at pier Z

you will need to walk (loooooooong walk) following the signs to A
sunday morning there was a huge line for passport checks before going down to A.
We managed to make our way through the right of the lanes and plead our cause (I have a EU disabled ID) but I guesstimate the wait to around 20/30 minutes)

then you're at A (again no security as you remain airside)

we had1h20 minutes for our connection back to paris

we landed on time at 7:50, got out of the plane by 8:10
we were at the A boarding gate for 8:55 just in time for pre-boarding (flight was at 9:20) so even with the passport wait time we probably would have made it (they held the plane until 9:30am for delayed pax anyway)

Edited at 09:12 AM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 18, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Ball81
Excited about Disney

We are Flying MAN -FRA -MIA with Lufthansa also, 1st time indirect to America but Family has flown with Lufthansa a few times now with no issues to report, so well worth the savings this time round to go indirect.
Ball81 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 18, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
lardypops
Apprentice Imagineer

lardypops's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
I was in FRA yesterday (sigh, vacations over ...), and use that airport quite frequently for indirects to the US

first of all, the information is current. So far the UK are still in Schengen area. Whatever will happen post Brexit re:entering the EU is still unknown

UK->FRA->US : you will land at T1
99% chances your plane will stop on the tarmac, and you will need to go down the stairs to a bus waiting at the foot of those stairs.
the bus will then get you to T1 which is a secure zone (no security again as you'll still be airside and have cleared security at your UK airport)

when you're inside T1 you will need to follow the signs to connections (follow the signs to Z)
be prepared to walk, walk and walk

at that moment you'll be at pier A

basically, Terminal 1 has 2 piers
pier A (domestic) is downstairs and pier Z (international) is upstairs

as you follow the signs to Z you will come upon a passport check. Get in line depending your fare class (economy, business, for example) and have your passport checked by the Polizei

then you will find escalators, and go up to Z

you may then have to walk, walk, and walk to your departure gate.

we had 1h50mins for our connection and were at our next boarding gate with about 1hr to spare.

---

on the way back (we flew MIA-FRA on the A380 2 days ago, on saturday 12th) you will be arriving at pier Z

you will need to walk (loooooooong walk) following the signs to A
sunday morning there was a huge line for passport checks before going down to A.
We managed to make our way through the right of the lanes and plead our cause (I have a EU disabled ID) but I guesstimate the wait to around 20/30 minutes)

then you're at A (again no security as you remain airside)

we had1h20 minutes for our connection back to paris

we landed on time at 7:50, got out of the plane by 8:10
we were at the A boarding gate for 8:55 just in time for pre-boarding (flight was at 9:20) so even with the passport wait time we probably would have made it (they held the plane until 9:30am for delayed pax anyway)
Brilliant thank you, we also have the 1 hour 50 minutes on the way out, didn't fancy the earlier flight as we would have had over 4 hours in Frankfurt. On the way back have around 2 hours 30. I'd read somewhere about the Tarmac landings, I was worried it would take so long with the walking (me and two kids) and if we missed the connection we would have to wait until the following day
lardypops is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 18, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Kinggie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

It’s a big airport but v easy to connect thanks to good signs around and lots of staff
2016 Disney - LBV
2018 Universal - Pointe Orlando
Kinggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 18, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Harry
Imagineer

Harry's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Flown twice from there with Lufthansa to LAX... very easy to get round but it is a big ol' lump of a Airport (reminds me of Atlanta) ... both our connection times were about an hour and made in plenty of time... oh and cracking airline is Lufthansa up there with the best crossing the pond.

"... he is moving like a TREMENDOUS machine... "
Harry is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List