Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 18 May 18, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
cameroon95
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Howl o Scream worth going to?

Hi Guys,

I love HHN but I have never been to busch gardens howl o scream.

This time around we were thinking of driving up to do busch gardens then stay in a hotel nearby so we can go to howl o scream.

How is it in comparison to HHN?

Is it worth staying around for?

Many thanks
cameroon95 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 18, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
chaddymatt
Excited about Disney

We go to HHN every year and also HOS as well. It's pretty different in the fact it's a lot quieter and much more intimate. BG usually do a cheap ticket for a day to get park entry after 5pm, so you can do a few rides beforehand and it's pretty good value ($30 iirc). I would recommend.
chaddymatt is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 18, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Whitequeen
Imagineer

Whitequeen's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We do HHN & HoS and I much prefer HoS as it's not so crowded. I would highly recommend.

West Coast Visits-5
Whitequeen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 18, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
disjunkie
Very Serious Dibber

We’ve done HOS twice and really enjoyed it. As they repeat houses we go every few years but it’s much less crowded than HHN and they tend to pulse the lines so it hasn’t been as conga lineish so more scary. The theming on some of the houses has been excellent in the last couple of years. motel hell last year was my favourite house and beat most of the HHN houses in terms of scares and amazing theming. Definitely worth a visit if you enjoy HHN.
disjunkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 18, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

HoS is way better imo.

We did it for the first time last year having done HHN many times.

The room layouts can be large and non-linear. They feed in guests in groups, rather than a conga line like HHN. The scare actors are much better at getting the most out of you, and especially in the outdoor zones.

Don't believe the hype about it being quiet. It's true it is a little less crowded for the first hour, but it becomes packed very quickly. Best advice I can give is buy the express passes, they were super cheap as I recall. Last year we picked a day that was less busy and had other significant events happening, sporting events on the box as I recall. The staff were saying it's going to be empty... not a chance. It was so packed we couldn't do everything, admittedly we didn't have the express passes, and by the time we realised we'd messed up by not buying them, we'd done enough and some of us were exhausted.

Not all houses are equal, get a feel for the houses with past reviews of similar houses.
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 18, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Wobbles
VIP Dibber

Wobbles's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We also prefer it.

They do a Fright Feast option, which gives you front of the line pass to all the houses before 8pm and a meal for about $30. You get to go into the houses before they even open to general public and it is possible to be the only ones let in to a house at time using this option.

We go a couple of times each year

Trip Reports
Howling @ the Horror 2015 (Complete)
Who knew Toronto was on the Med (Complete)
Getting Our Kicks - Pre Trippie
Wobbles is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 18, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
We also prefer it.

They do a Fright Feast option, which gives you front of the line pass to all the houses before 8pm and a meal for about $30. You get to go into the houses before they even open to general public and it is possible to be the only ones let in to a house at time using this option.

We go a couple of times each year
I wish we'd done this.

I was sceptical about how good HoS was, and it turned out to be excellent.

We were told it would be empty, and it wasn't.

What made it worse is that BG was ridiculously empty before HoS began. A couple of us rode Sheikra, over and over. In fact the staff allowed us to stay up top and not have to keep coming down and going back up again via the normal route.

All in all I got to see and do a lot and that was great, but it was somewhat frustrating to queue for over an hour for the last house of our visit, and then discover that the express passes were so cheap at the gate
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 18, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
josie112
Imagineer

Haven't been since 2014 but really enjoyed it. As most posts have stated is different from HHN and does feel more intimate. If you go, don't expect a HHN 'clone' and you won't be disappointed.
2000 - Crescent Lakes Villa, 2003 - Briargrove Villa, 2005 - Briargrove Villa, 2005 - New York, 2006 - Briargrove Villa, 2006 - Portugal, 2007 - Briargrove Villa, 2009 - Tuscan Hills Villa, 2010 - The Mirage, Las Vegas, 2011 - Highlands Reserve Villa, 2012 - The Mirage, Las Vegas, 2014 - Highlands Reserve Villa, 2015 - The Mirage, Las Vegas, 2017 - The Mirage, Las Vegas, 2019 - Highlands Reserve Villa
josie112 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 18, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Well worth going to & also worth the Fright Feast if you are going all day anyway! Be warned, not sure they still do, but they basically use the whole park, including the train,so there is a lot of walking. Doing the coasters in the dark is also excellent. We haven't been for a couple of years, as they weren't changing the Houses enough but as others I'd say as good if not better than HHN.
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List