Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 2 Mar 21, 04:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Jenfie80
Apprentice Imagineer

Who’s been to Antigua

We have just booked an 11 night stay at the Royalton Antigua for July this year, I know we may not get to go but I needed something to cheer me up as the 6 holidays have been cancelled! For people who have been, what do you recommend trip wise? Always we were thinking about hiring a car to go off and explore ourselves. We have been to other Caribbean islands and felt safe but each island is different.
Jenfie80 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 21, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

I know Antigua as we had a home there for 15 years.

I dont know how the Royalton is now, it sits in a really beautiful bay, what you imagine of the caribbean, soft sand, palm trees and warm water. The hotel is the only high rise in Antigua, had had a checkered past but I believe has had a great makeover. We used to go and swim off the beach when it was shut down and it was amazing.

Just at the other end of the beach you can cross a small river and hike up to an ancient for Fort Barrington, take some water and sit and watch the city of St John across the harbour and out to sea.

Trips out, maybe try Antigua Adventures eco circumnavingation or extreme tour. Good tour company run by a guy called Eli Fuller who is very keen on eco tourism.

One of the circumnavigation by sailing catamaran tours which are all inclusive and quite fun are good. The landrover safari companies take tours off road and also down to Nelson's Dockyard the only working Elizabethan dockyard in the world.

I would hire a car, road signage is rubbish the roads are awful but it can be fun. It's a safe island but just remember as you would anywhere not to leave things on display in your car.

Enjoy your holiday!
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 06:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Jenfie80
Apprentice Imagineer

Thank you so much for the great tips x
Jenfie80 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 21, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
anna68
VIP Dibber

anna68's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Went in 2019, absolutely loved it. Cannot wait to return one day. We did a day tour of all key highlights Shirley heights, bettys hope, nelsons dockyards. That was good. Fantastic airport for an island too. I would not have hired a car- awful roads! Found the people less friendly than in St Lucia if I’m honest but liked the island more.
anna68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 21, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by anna68 View Post
Went in 2019, absolutely loved it. Cannot wait to return one day. We did a day tour of all key highlights Shirley heights, bettys hope, nelsons dockyards. That was good. Fantastic airport for an island too. I would not have hired a car- awful roads! Found the people less friendly than in St Lucia if I’m honest but liked the island more.
I agree all good places to go, you are right the new airport built about 10 years ago is good the old one was well just old and worn out.

The people on the Caribbean island do differ, in general the people of Antigua are probably more reserved and less chatty until you know them. It's a bit like saying the people of the North East of England are friendly and those in the south are not, just different. (Ducks and waits for the onslaught)

St Lucia is the only place on a Caribbean Island I have felt in danger. We had a hire car and asked for directions, were told to go down a road which was a dead end. The car was surrounded by men with machetes wanting our money, my husband floored it to get away but it was scary.

Not had that experience anywhere else.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 21, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Goodisoner
Apprentice Imagineer

What is St John's like? Are there bars and restaurants for tourists? We're looking at going for the cricket in 2022.

Joint profile for Mr and Mrs Goodisoner.
Staybridge Suites I-Drive 2011, Homewood Suites I-Drive 2013,
Old Key West August 2015,
West Coast, Vegas & Orlando 2017.
Goodisoner is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 21, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goodisoner View Post
What is St John's like? Are there bars and restaurants for tourists? We're looking at going for the cricket in 2022.
St John is not really a tourist town it's a bustling place (the only town on the island) it has banks and shops, there is a port where the cruise ships dock and a shopping area there with the normal port shops.It's not a place I would choose to spend time to be honest.

The old cricket stadium is in the town centre and was an atmospheric old place. The new stadium is in the middle of nowhere really. It was built a few years ago for the Cricket World Cup. It's quite good fun, has a pool area and bars etc. We always sat on the grass rather than in the stand and have shared many rum punches with others around us. The between the overs dancing girls were fun too.

We have been invited a few times to the executive boxes, which was nice with good views.

Dont stay in St John, I'm not sure there are any tourist hotels I the city anyway. Big cricket matches do a park and ride system so parking at the ground may not be possible.
Old 6 Mar 21, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by munmun View Post
St John is not really a tourist town it's a bustling place (the only town on the island) it has banks and shops, there is a port where the cruise ships dock and a shopping area there with the normal port shops.It's not a place I would choose to spend time to be honest.

The old cricket stadium is in the town centre and was an atmospheric old place. The new stadium is in the middle of nowhere really. It was built a few years ago for the Cricket World Cup. It's quite good fun, has a pool area and bars etc. We always sat on the grass rather than in the stand and have shared many rum punches with others around us. The between the overs dancing girls were fun too.

We have been invited a few times to the executive boxes, which was nice with good views.

Dont stay in St John, I'm not sure there are any tourist hotels I the city anyway. Big cricket matches do a park and ride system so parking at the ground may not be possible.

munmun - going back years here but do you remember the cricket ground next to the airport and the pub next door to it. Many hours spent in that pub after check in especially if the flight was delayed

Edited at 12:31 PM.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 21, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stanleycamel View Post
munmun - going back years here but do you remember the cricket ground next to the airport and the pub next door to it. Many hours spent in that pub after check in especially if the flight was delayed
Yes, remember it well. The restaurant was The Sticky Wicket and was part of the Stanford ground owned by the now imprisoned disgraced banker who create a devistating pond scheme. Many people I know lost a lot of money through his bonds.

We well together Stanford 20:20 at that ground, I remember my niece rushing off to shake hands with him and him having the cricketers wifes sitting on his knee. They had the prize of millions of dollars in a see through box.

It was great fun but Stanfords demise on Antigua caused a lot of political and social ripples.
Old 6 Mar 21, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
JudeB
Imagineer

JudeB's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Mobile

We went for our 10th anniversary which was 15 years ago, so I can’t give a lot of advice other than we wouldn’t recommend hiring a car. The roads were awful and the driving was just as bad! It was very stressful for DH (who loves driving both in Florida and has towed our caravan through the UK and France). It was a lovely island and we really enjoyed our holiday but wouldn’t bother with a car.