Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Sep 20, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
abzorba
Excited about Disney

Rebooking for 2021 - fill in the blanks please...

EDIT 17-Sep : Now all booked apart from Mammouth Lakes

We're in the process of rebooking our 2020 trip for August 2021. It's 24 nights (including the flight home) and an LA to LA clockwise round trip (my wife didn't want to be on the cliff side of the road for PCH!).

The parts in bold are already booked in so if I've made a mistake there I've got to live with it.

Fly in to LAX
2 nights Hilton Universal Studios (Universal)
5 nights Intercontinental Century City (Santa Monica & Venice Beaches, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive)
1 night Morro Bay (PCH)
1 night The Clement Monterey (PCH, Whale Watching)
3 nights Intercontinental San Francisco (Alcatraz, Golden Gate, SF)
2 nights Yosemite Valley Lodge (Yosemite Park)
1 night Mammouth Lakes (Mammouth Mountain)
2 nights The Inn at Death Valley (Death Valley)
2 nights The Venetian (Las Vegas and helicopter trip to Grand Canyon)
4 nights Hyatt Orange County Anaheim (Disneyland)
Fly back from LAX

What I'm really looking for is some advice on the other parts please.
  • Is the Hilton Universal City the best hotel for Universal Studios?
  • Is Morro Bay the best place for a stop off between LA and Monterey? Any recommended hotels there or elsewhere?
  • Is Mammouth Lakes the best stop off between Yosemite Valley and Death Valley?
  • Is The Venetian the preferred hotel for Vegas?

Thanks in advance.

WDW 1994, 2005, 2015, 2019 | DLP 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021, 2022

Edited at 01:33 PM. Reason: Update
abzorba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Re between LA and Monterey, we stayed last time in the Madonna Inn. You can see the trip report in my signature and it is quite frankly, a hotel that you will never, ever forget. You cannot say that about many hotels and the cakes are something to die for. The rooms are all extravagantly themed as can be seen by research.

It is best to research the history of this Hotel to understand its significance.

Re the Hilton at Universal, I booked it 10 minutes ago for next August after extensive research. You can’t go far wrong when..
1. It’s the only hotel that is right on City walk.
2. It’s a Hilton and therefore the standard will be good.
3. The price is good.
4. The reviews are excellent.

If you are there on 25 or 26 August, then I will make a date with you all in Margaritaville ... for a Margarita .

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 11:25 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
abzorba
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Re between LA and Monterey, we stayed last time in the Madonna Inn. You can see the trip report in my signature and it is quite frankly, a hotel that you will never, ever forget. You cannot say that about many hotels and the cakes are something to die for. The rooms are all extravagantly themed as can be seen by research.

It is best to research the history of this Hotel to understand its significance.

Re the Hilton at Universal, I booked it 10 minutes ago for next August after extensive research. You can’t go far wrong when..
1. It’s the only hotel that is right on City walk.
2. It’s a Hilton and therefore the standard will be good.
3. The price is good.
4. The reviews are excellent.

If you are there on 25 or 26 August, then I will make a date with you all in Margaritaville ... for a Margarita .
The Madonna Inn looks amazing. So many rooms to choose from - are there any in particular to try and get?

I'll piggy back your research and get the Hilton booked as well- thanks. We're there a couple of weeks before you but will remember to raise a Margarita in your honour!

WDW 1994, 2005, 2015, 2019 | DLP 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021, 2022
abzorba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by abzorba View Post
The Madonna Inn looks amazing. So many rooms to choose from - are there any in particular to try and get?

I'll piggy back your research and get the Hilton booked as well- thanks. We're there a couple of weeks before you but will remember to raise a Margarita in your honour!
We had the Chinese Flower room last time and booked the San Francisco room for August (cancelled). For next year, we have not decided yet.

Most of the more family rooms are in terraced chalets. I have no doubt that it costs rather more to be in the main hotel building. Either way it is a fantastic experience and the eating is an experience in itself.

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:30 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 20, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Best price that we found for the Hilton, 2 nights 25th to 27th was £463 inc all taxes and with a further £14.63 credit in my Ebookers app/sign up.. through Ebookers. In addition, I get an 8% cash back on that through my employers portal.

Booking.com £469, Agoda £521, Expedia £532, Getaroom £469, Lastminute £520.

Hoping that saves you some work.

Old 15 Sep 20, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
abzorba
Excited about Disney

Best price that we found for the Hilton, 2 nights 25th to 27th was £463 inc all taxes and with a further £14.63 credit in my Ebookers app/sign up.. through Ebookers. In addition, I get an 8% cash back on that through my employers portal.

Booking.com £469, Agoda £521, Expedia £532, Getaroom £469, Lastminute £520.

Hoping that saves you some work.
Nice work, thanks for that.

Ebookers were really good when we were cancelling our 2020 trip.

Old 15 Sep 20, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
slightly serious Dibber

Hi - we stayed at the Hilton a few years back and as you say you can't get any closer to Universal.

The only thing I'd query is whether you need to stay there as well as your 5 nights in Century City. From Century City you're pretty well placed to get to Universal so could incorporate from there which would give you another 2 nights to play with.
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 20, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Nice work, thanks for that.

Ebookers were really good when we were cancelling our 2020 trip.
Same for mine in March 2020 and then, rescheduled to August 2020.

They were really good at refunds and in addition, I really like their app. The fact that they are generally extremely competitive is a bonus and therefore I try to use them exclusively in order to have the whole lot on the single app. As long as they are within a few quid (don’t forget I have the cash back in addition), then they get the booking.

I have the same attitude with Premier Inn after their remarkable service. I had 7 non refundable rooms booked in a kind of ribbon as I drove up from Cornwall at leisure, Salisbury, Chertsey, LHR and then LHR for a sleep on landing before driving home. I never even contacted them. They contacted me to refund the lot.

I have remembered who have been good during the current debacle.. and also those who have not as I have read of DIBBER experiences. There are certain companies that I will never trust again.

Edited at 10:04 AM.
Old 15 Sep 20, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
abzorba
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Olympiad View Post
Hi - we stayed at the Hilton a few years back and as you say you can't get any closer to Universal.

The only thing I'd query is whether you need to stay there as well as your 5 nights in Century City. From Century City you're pretty well placed to get to Universal so could incorporate from there which would give you another 2 nights to play with.
My 2 daughters want a full 5 days exploring Hollywood, Beverly Hills and the beaches.

I'd booked the Century City stay before the flights with the plan to arrive on Monday 9th but then got a good deal flying out on Saturday 7th so need to find another hotel for the first couple of nights. We don't pick our road trip car up until we leave Century City on the 14th so being close to Universal makes sense if we want to spend a couple of days there. I'll look to get a convertible for a couple of nights to explore Hollywood but the parking at the hotel costs more than the rental itself!

Old 15 Sep 20, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
abzorba
Excited about Disney

Same for mine in March 2020 and then, rescheduled to August 2020.

They were really good at refunds and in addition, I really like their app. The fact that they are generally extremely competitive is a bonus and therefore I try to use them exclusively in order to have the whole lot on the single app. As long as they are within a few quid (don’t forget I have the cash back in addition), then they get the booking.

I have the same attitude with Premier Inn after their remarkable service. I had 7 non refundable rooms booked in a kind of ribbon as I drove up from Cornwall at leisure, Salisbury, Chertsey, LHR and then LHR for a sleep on landing before driving home. I never even contacted them. They contacted me to refund the lot.

I have remembered who have been good during the current debacle.. and also those who have not as I have read of DIBBER experiences. There are certain companies that I will never trust again.
Intercontinental (IHG) and ebookers were definitely the best for us. Being able to talk to the hotel via the ebookers chat function is a bonus as well.

BA were good as well (although we'd only paid a £275 deposit for flight, car and a couple of hotels). Sounds like people are having a nightmare with Virgin.