Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Jan 21, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
skb 123
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile Was this just a Scottish thing?

Happy memories of summers spent at my Granny's getting through jugs of this stuff. Mmm, i can still taste it!

skb 123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 21, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
ginwithaslice
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

No, I remember it well! Could get it in Northern Ireland 😁
ginwithaslice is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 21, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by skb 123 View Post
Happy memories of summers spent at my Granny's getting through jugs of this stuff. Mmm, i can still taste it!

That and Force for breakfast - my parents were Scottish although we lived most of the year England and Mummy used to bring loads of Cremola foam back from there (together with huge bottles of spring water we collected at Innerleithen to wash her hair) - I still recall the noise it mad when you added a spoon to water

I still have a Sunny Jim toy from Force
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 21, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Scotsmomma2
Imagineer

Used to love Creamola Foam, there was a new version called Krakatoa Foam but it was rank and nothing like the original.
Scotsmomma2 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 21, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
The brand was once owned by Rowntrees. Lots of Joan's family worked there in York and you could buy it from the staff shop.

Mick
Old 11 Jan 21, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Perthite
Very Serious Dibber

I drank a lot of Creamola Foam as a child (in Scotland) and in adulthood was reintroduced to it as a mixer to go with vodka.

Alas they stopped making the stuff about 20 years ago due to declining sales. There are some poor copies available on the internet.
Perthite is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 21, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
skb 123
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
That and Force for breakfast - my parents were Scottish although we lived most of the year England and Mummy used to bring loads of Cremola foam back from there (together with huge bottles of spring water we collected at Innerleithen to wash her hair) - I still recall the noise it mad when you added a spoon to water

I still have a Sunny Jim toy from Force
Force? Sorry, that's a new one on me. With your Scottish heritage then, please tell me you make porridge the proper way with salt and none of this sugar/syrup/fresh fruit/seeds malarkey?!
skb 123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 21, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Force? Sorry, that's a new one on me. With your Scottish heritage then, please tell me you make porridge the proper way with salt and none of this sugar/syrup/fresh fruit/seeds malarkey?!
Mother born in Sanday Orkney and split her childhood between there and Edinburgh where they also kept a house (and my Grandpa-pa had his business ) - Father from the borders - Selkirk then Galashiels so relatives all over those places

My sister makes porridge the old way (with salt on the top) and uses Mothers old spurtle, I must admit to be a Southerner now so it’s microwave and fruit but I must prefer the old way (with a spurtle - NEVER a spoon lol)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 21, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
skb 123
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Mother born in Sanday Orkney and split her childhood between there and Edinburgh where they also kept a house (and my Grandpa-pa had his business ) - Father from the borders - Selkirk then Galashiels so relatives all over those places

My sister makes porridge the old way (with salt on the top) and uses Mothers old spurtle, I must admit to be a Southerner now so it’s microwave and fruit but I must prefer the old way (with a spurtle - NEVER a spoon lol)
Ashamed to admit that my mum used Granny's spurtle to agitate the washing in her twin tub! 😳
Old 11 Jan 21, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Ashamed to admit that my mum used Granny's spurtle to agitate the washing in her twin tub! 😳
Hopefully not make porridge or stew afterwards - make a nice frothy top lol