UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 17 Jul 21, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
What’s morecambe like?

Is it a good base for the Lake District as well ?
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 21, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
It really depends what you’re looking to do! I live here and if I want a lovely walk along the seafront, then it ticks every box as there is a fab 8 mile stretch starting at Heysham. There are a couple of nice pubs for meals but that’s about it! There are hardly any shops, zero nightlife and it’s generally very run down other than the actual promenade, but you can be in the lakes in under an hour.

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 21, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

You forgot the statue Mel!
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 21, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
The statue is probably the biggest attraction in Morecambe. There really isn’t much else in the town. The area of Morecambe Bay is really nice though, Carnforth, Grange over Sands, Silverdale, Cartmel, Arnside are all worth a visit. There are lots of lovely walks. The city of Lancaster for shopping, the Castle and the Butterfly House in Williamson Park. If you enjoy walking you could join a Morecambe Bay walk but you can only do this with a guide. guideoversands/ We had a fabulous day doing the Bay walk.

As Melanie says the Lakes are nearby. As a base Morecambe is in a good location but the town itself is run down.
Hopefully Morecambe is in for major regeneration when the Eden Project North gets underway.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 21, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Don't bother 😉 stay in the Lakes, you won't regret it
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 21, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
Originally Posted by maidmarian View Post
I have lots of fond memories of Morecambe. We’re trying to sell it here !
In all seriousness though, Morecambe itself isn’t very nice but it is right next to lots of places that are lovely. OP if you can’t find any reasonable accommodation in the Lakes then Morecambe would be ok as a base.

If budget would allow a stay at the Midland I have always fancied staying there.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 21, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
The Midland is amazing if budget allows! I also agree as a base to visit the lakes and Lancaster it’s fine. I’ve just come back from a walk along the front - can’t beat it for the views across the bay 😊

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 21, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

I have very fond memories of Morecambe from my childhood, when we used to go for day trips.
About a month ago we had a weekend away in the Lakes finishing with the last night booked in a seafront hotel in Morecambe as I was keen and excited to show my husband (originally from further afield than I was) how lovely it was.
As we were driving in, along the promenade, I just knew he wouldn't like it Long story short we didn't stay and drove home instead...

Now, the physical area of Morecambe itself is beautiful, the bay, the sands etc. but the town itself is sadly so run down now and there were drunks staggering along the seafront during the day - it just didn't have a nice, welcoming feel, which was a shame as I have such fond memories from childhood. Which is the same for many seaside towns
So sad for what was once a thriving fun place to be.

Just my personal opinion, of course, but I would stay in the Lakes.
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 21, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
Originally Posted by maidmarian View Post
It’s fully booked hence looking outside and surrounding area .
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 21, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
It’s fully booked hence looking outside and surrounding area .
Do you mind me asking where is available ? If you are going around the Morecambe Bay Area the Holgate and Pure Leisure caravan sites are all good. They do have some privately let on Pure Leisure (not sure about Holgates) I have seen some previously on Airbnb, they might be cheaper than going direct. We went to Yealands in Carnforth in April, the caravan was booked direct and we were really happy with it but maybe fully booked now.