Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Sep 21, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
pho3nix
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by disney_l81 View Post
Feel your pain- I have fibroids, ovarian cysts on both sides, endometriosis and adenomyosis. I'm monitored every 3 months to check nothing is going awry. I had years of pain and horrendous bleeding. I am desperate for a hysterectomy but my consultant asked me to wait a little longer (I'm 40).

Years ago I did try tranexamic acid which did help. Was offered the coil but didn't want that. Now I take my contraceptive pill back to back no breaks ever and so I dont bleed and manageable pain.
Thanks for your reply. How are you getting on now? I'm glad the pill seems to be working for you.

I do use tranexamic acid but don't really notice it making much difference, I've been on and off norithisterone as I had a period that last a good few months after I was given the mini pill (with the intention of stopping my periods)

Did your consultant give you any idea why he wants you to wait before hysterectomy?

Thank you again for your reply xx
pho3nix is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 21, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
pho3nix
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by unixgirl View Post
Fibroids plus perimenopause gave me really heavy periods. Transexamic acid helped a lot but had Mirena fitted. Still getting periods for the moment but very light. Periods suck!
Yes, periods 100% suck I agree!

Glad the mirena seems to be working for you. Light periods would be a dream! Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be an option for me due to some of my other symptoms as I was wondering if it would be a suggestion.

Xx
pho3nix is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 21, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
pho3nix
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by JoJo88 View Post
I suffered with the same. Tranexamic Acid helped a little but in the end I had a hysterectomy. I was 42 at the time and it was the easiest, and best decision I ever made health wise!

Obviously surgery isn’t great, but honestly, it was so worth it. Not having periods anymore is absolute bliss! I was fortunate that we have private health insurance through work so when I asked the consultant about surgery, he was fine to go ahead straight away. He said that if I went the NHS route they may want to try other things first.
Thank you JoJo for your reply and your thoughts in hysterectomy - this is one of the options I've been offered...the other is UFE so I'm waiting for an MRI to see if I'm suitable - I'm undecided which one to go for... UFE would be less invasive but hysterectomy is the only 100% cure...
Old 24 Sep 21, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
pho3nix
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Ladies, one piece of advice that may help - with my 30 year history of breast and ovarian cancer I had a sub-total (cervix remains) hysterectomy in 2001. May I suggest actively investigating as, in some instances, a total hyst can see prolapse issues post surgery. From my experience it's an issue the patient needs to raise. After we spoke, a friend in Fl spoke to her consultant, he admitted he hadn't considered a sub-total, she opted sub-total and has had no issues since.

My sister had issues with fibroids and also opted for sub-total, neither of us, and Fl friend, have been pregnant, by choice, not due to health issues.

Good luck to all at this stage, take good care ladies.
Thank you for your info - a hysterectomy is one of my options so I'll make sure to do some reading on the sub-total option and make sure I discuss with the gynae consultant. Thankfully I felt able to open and ask him questions so should be OK to ask this too!

Xx
Old 24 Sep 21, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
pho3nix
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by cartoonp View Post
Hi I know you said one for the lady’s but I hope you do not mind me answering. My partner had very heavy bleeding for a few years. We where advised not to have children a good few years ago so my partner was told that The contraceptive pill will help with the bleeding then a few years latter her doctor said that the coil was a good idea after she had this it helped a lot. Sorry again hope you can get it sorted one way or another.
Hi CartoonP,
No I don't mind at all - thank you so much for taking the time to read and reply. I hope your partner is doing well and so happy to read the coil is working for her ❤
Old 24 Sep 21, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
pho3nix
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Mrs_Potts View Post
I had very heavy periods and literally tried everything (was on 2 different blood clotters and tranexamic acid). I had an ablation but after that was diagnosed with Complex Endometrial Hyperplasia with Atypia and then fibroids. I had to have a hysterectomy in the end (I am 44).
Wow! That sounds awful...do you mind me asking what Complex Endometrial Hyperplasia with Atypia is?
I don't find tranexamic acid particularly helpful tbh - I've been taking norithisterone on and off for since Feb and find it helps alot but apparently isn't good to take it all the time?

Did you have an open hysterectomy? How did you find the recovery? This is one of the options I've been given (I'm 34)

Xx
Old 24 Sep 21, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
pho3nix
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by DavieBhoy View Post
Similar story to you, having tried medication and injections the final route was surgery - I had a subtotal hysterectomy in 2013 aged 43, I chose to keep ovaries to avoid immediate menopause, which I am going through now. Having had two Caesarians there was a chance of full hysterectomy but this was avoided. Recovery was tough initially but differences have been worth it.

It’s a hard situation to deal with, wishing you well.

Tracy
Thanks Tracy.
We're you offered any other surgical options of just hysterectomy?
It's the recovery in worried about if I go for hysterectomy - I know I'm not a good patient! 🙈
Hiw long do you think it took you to recover?

Xx
Old 24 Sep 21, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
goodevans
VIP Dibber

goodevans's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
This Thread just brings it home what horrible things us women go through!
I was mid 40's and always suffered from extremely heavy periods even before my two kids were born.
Always had really bad cramps and 7-10 days of heavy bleeding and flooding. GP had diagnosed me with anaemia several times.
I really had to force the issue in the end and demand a referral.
After a scan revealed several large fibroids I was offered a abalation procedure to remove the womb lining and all the fibroids or a hysterectomy. I felt they were nudging me towards the hysterectomy but I wanted to try the abalation first.
Glad I did as it solved the problem! Periods dramatically lightened and then tailed off altogether after about 6 months.
I really hope you get sorted too as these problems are so terribly draining.
But don't get pushed into something you don't want .
X
Hotel Cheyenne DLP - 1994,Davy Crockett Ranch DLP - 1996 ,AllStars Sports WDW 1997,DL Hotel DLP - 1998,All Stars Movies WDW - 2000,AKL WDW -03,Newport Bay Club DLP - 04,AKL WDW- 06,Sequoia Lodge DLP 06
Fairfield Inn Marriot Village LBV-12

Hawthorn Suites LBV-14, Hotel Cheyenne DLP-17, LBV, RPR, POR-WDW, AMI+Disney Dream '18

Edited at 09:02 PM.
goodevans is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 21, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_l81
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by pho3nix View Post
Thanks for your reply. How are you getting on now? I'm glad the pill seems to be working for you.

I do use tranexamic acid but don't really notice it making much difference, I've been on and off norithisterone as I had a period that last a good few months after I was given the mini pill (with the intention of stopping my periods)

Did your consultant give you any idea why he wants you to wait before hysterectomy?

Thank you again for your reply xx
Basically I had an operation when I was a baby- an intussusception, I have a scar that runs from my belly button the whole way down. Due to the scar I have adhesions and everything behind that is stuck- my bowel is stuck, my bladder, so I have bowel and bladder issues. The scar tissue strangled my appendix, I was 8 hours in surgery whilst they got out.

Consultant has said that obviously a hysterectomy is a major surgery, I could end up with a colostomy bag as well as further issues with my bladder. So a few things to weigh up for me. Xxx
disney_l81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 21, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
DavieBhoy
VIP Dibber

DavieBhoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Mobile

Hi, no alternative was offered other than Zoladex injections to try and shrink fibroid, unsuccessful and due to bladder/scarring issues from C-sections I was told Hysterectomy was required. Looking back I wish I had pushed for alternatives but I discovered later that the consultant was leaving area to move elsewhere and I feel he just wanted me ticked off the list.

Anyway, I was off work for 8 weeks, up and about quickly but had to really take things easy. Recovery was worse than the C Sections as more surgery involved. Kids were 10 & 14 so could look after themselves but DH did have meltdown when he realised how much slack he had to pick up !

It is major surgery so recovery will take time, definitely help will be needed initially afterwards but life afterwards was so much easier with no periods/pain

Tracy

DavieBhoy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List