Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 Sep 21, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lindaelaine View Post
I don't agree with this, the elderly get a fuel allowance and this should be means tested, everybody gets it, I doubt very much a wealthy widow living on her own needs it, it would be better if the allowance was doubled and handed out to those who actually need it.
To some of those who get the allowance it's just a nice welcome gift, to others it's a lifesaver.
I realise you weren’t responding to me but it wasn’t necessarily pensioners that I was thinking about. This huge rise in energy costs coincides with the ending of the £20pw uplift in UC - the current UC structure doesn’t have much slack in it to accommodate significant increases in energy as well as increasing food costs.
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 21, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

No I was also referring to everyone who can’t afford to pay. Lots of people in fuel poverty other than pensioners. It’ll be impossible for some families to pay the circa 40-50% increases.
MarkUK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 21, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
nige106
A Guest at All-Stars

Just managed to logon through the official old Avro website. Got on no problems, but everything is blank. Kept pressing refresh and finally my credit showed up. I also managed to get my previous statements doing the same thing. It keeps returning errors but eventually they load as PDF's.

I think our DD shall increase by around £80 per month.
nige106 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 21, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by MarkUK View Post
The government will have to step in and pay fuel bills. Just like furlough payments and covid. Either that or thousands will die.
I certainly hope so. The increases are crazy. I’m fortunate i downsized after my husband died so if my bill is set to rise £30pm for a small user I dread to think what families will be paying soon.
Old 30 Sep 21, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MarkUK View Post
No I was also referring to everyone who can’t afford to pay. Lots of people in fuel poverty other than pensioners. It’ll be impossible for some families to pay the circa 40-50% increases.
This was already a growing problem (for a number of years actually) and the recent price increases will have a catastrophic effect on the most needy - many of whom live in very badly heated properties so keeping them warm is difficult at the best of times
Old 30 Sep 21, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I don't agree with this, the elderly get a fuel allowance and this should be means tested, everybody gets it, I doubt very much a wealthy widow living on her own needs it, it would be better if the allowance was doubled and handed out to those who actually need it.
To some of those who get the allowance it's just a nice welcome gift, to others it's a lifesaver.
Linda - I may be wrong - but I heard that the cost of means testing was more expensive than just giving it to everyone. I agree with your sentiment though!
Old 30 Sep 21, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
It’s a drop in the ocean though compared to a fuel bill rising in excess of £1000 per year.
It’s better than nothing but won’t help long term for that kind of increase.
Old 30 Sep 21, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

The problem I have is that there is always a cut off and some people who are not eligible for it will not be able to afford to have the heating on without it. I woudl rather everyone have it than a few get missed off. Also the people you are suggesting should not get it are most likely the ones that have paid in all their lives surely they have at least as much right as the next person to have it.

Also the cost of means testing would not be insignificant would you rather that be used to means test or to keep old folks homes warm ?

I do think it a little daft though that people like my Mum currently in a care home get it that is silly.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 21, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
Us to I am livid with igloo they upped their prices earlier in the year despite being fixed. saying that they would ensure they able to cover any rises and we stayed with them thinking we would be safe.

The other side if their business is still running so whilst many of their staff will lose out their directors no doubt will all pocket good sums.

On the comparison sites it looked like our bills will go from £190 to over £300

Yep, mine increased by over £50/month in September. Goodness knows how much it's going to be now.

Does anyone know if you can request a meter check? 2 x adults in a 3 bed bungalow (double glazed, gas central heating, loft insulation over recommendations) and we're paying almost £200/month, gas is minimal, its mostly electricity costs.

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 21, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by Mary A View Post
Yep, mine increased by over £50/month in September. Goodness knows how much it's going to be now.

Does anyone know if you can request a meter check? 2 x adults in a 3 bed bungalow (double glazed, gas central heating, loft insulation over recommendations) and we're paying almost £200/month, gas is minimal, its mostly electricity costs.
My parents live in a 3bed bungalow with double glazing ,gas heating
Lift insulation etc and there d.d is £250 a month . So imagine £200 will be about right after the increase.
We 4 bed house with hot tub so ours has jumped hugely. So ours will be £220 approx and that's with empty house all day in the week.
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List