Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Jun 21, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Car warranty as in buying one

In a nutshell looking at a new (to me) car only has 3 months warranty left

i know the dealer will try & flog me a additional warranty & in the past ive always declined (along with all the other insurances wheels/paint etc etc they try & nail onto the deal)

does anyone buy a warranty plenty of online options, ran through a few and the list of things not covered reads like war & peace ?

so are they worth it?
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 21, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

as an example of not covered

Air Conditioning

· Anti Lock Brake System

· Casings

· Engine Management (ECU)

· Fuel System

· Turbo Charger

· Four Wheel Drive Transmission

· Cracked or porous cylinder heads and blocks

· Burnt valves and any skimming/pressure testing

· Body, paint or glass

· Corrosion to the Vehicle Chassis or Body

· Interior/exterior trim

· Key fobs and Key cards

· In-car entertainment/ communication systems and connected equipment including satellite navigation

· Catalytic converters and Diesel particulate filters

· Wheels

· Airbag and system

· Electrical wiring or wiring looms

· Hoses, pipes or cables

· Brake seizure and corrosion

· Regular service items and other components subject to routine maintenance or periodic repair or replacement such as plugs, HT leads, brake frictional material, clutch facings, wiper blades/rubbers, auxiliary belts, light bulbs/units, tyres, batteries, exhaust systems [this is not a complete list]
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 21, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
as an example of not covered

Air Conditioning

· Anti Lock Brake System

· Casings

· Engine Management (ECU)

· Fuel System

· Turbo Charger

· Four Wheel Drive Transmission

· Cracked or porous cylinder heads and blocks

· Burnt valves and any skimming/pressure testing

· Body, paint or glass

· Corrosion to the Vehicle Chassis or Body

· Interior/exterior trim

· Key fobs and Key cards

· In-car entertainment/ communication systems and connected equipment including satellite navigation

· Catalytic converters and Diesel particulate filters

· Wheels

· Airbag and system

· Electrical wiring or wiring looms

· Hoses, pipes or cables

· Brake seizure and corrosion

· Regular service items and other components subject to routine maintenance or periodic repair or replacement such as plugs, HT leads, brake frictional material, clutch facings, wiper blades/rubbers, auxiliary belts, light bulbs/units, tyres, batteries, exhaust systems [this is not a complete list]
Is anything covered at all!

Ahh, probably the ash tray.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 21, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
i know the dealer will try & flog me a additional warranty
BMW and AUDI warranty cover up to six years I think, if you intend keeping for a while.
We buy new or nearly new then keep until last legs.
I know people that have had good experiences making claims from AUDI (gearbox) and BMW (engines).
I don't mind being captive to dealer service these days, as the good independents we used to use cost as much, if not more, than main dealers.
Last few cars have been Volvos, didn't buy their extra warranty so no idea if any good.
I don't know anybody personally that has had a good experience with third-party warranty providers so wouldn't buy one of them.
Good luck with your new motor.
Pino_Spetzberg is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 21, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pino_Spetzberg View Post
BMW and AUDI warranty cover up to six years I think, if you intend keeping for a while.
We buy new or nearly new then keep until last legs.
I know people that have had good experiences making claims from AUDI (gearbox) and BMW (engines).
I don't mind being captive to dealer service these days, as the good independents we used to use cost as much, if not more, than main dealers.
Last few cars have been Volvos, didn't buy their extra warranty so no idea if any good.
I don't know anybody personally that has had a good experience with third-party warranty providers so wouldn't buy one of them.
Good luck with your new motor.
i only know about Audi ,current car is a A4, in the UK its 3 years / 60k
Old 8 Jun 21, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I’ve never had to claim off an extended warranty but Have bought cars through franchised dealers that came with one (ie some brands do this as standard). While they have more exclusions than the factory warranty they have way less than the list you’d quoted. As Tom has said, it’s genuinely difficult to work out what IS covered (the suspension?!)

I’d not bother with anything like that. Take a look at what the dealer is offering and if the exclusions list is reasonably limited and the price is fair I’d go with it. (That said if a car was only just out of warranty and I knew I wasn’t going to hold onto it for that long, I may not bother at all. I can’t think of any major problems on any car I have had in the past 20 years)
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 21, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
pompeyboy
Apprentice Imagineer

Another big issue with aftermarket warranties is the "wear and tear" clause. Most components are covered on a mechanical failure basis which can be subjective and usually causes a delay in repairs while the part is inspected by the warranty provider.

There can also be a limit on labour rates that is towards the lower end of even smaller local garages.
pompeyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

What do you do if buying a car in a private purchase which would have no warranty at all? would you buy from one of the online companies so you at least have some cover?
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
stevo25
Very Serious Dibber

I know someone who works at Car Care Plan, not in sales but in admin with garages, and she wouldn't but any of their policies, and states most companies cover is rubbish
stevo25 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stevo25 View Post
I know someone who works at Car Care Plan, not in sales but in admin with garages, and she wouldn't but any of their policies, and states most companies cover is rubbish
Thank you for the info x
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List