Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Jun 21, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Kitten - remind me why it’s a bad idea…

My husband and son want a kitten (definitely only one). They REALLY want a kitten and they’ve found one they love, a very adorable BSH.

However, every summer we go away (Covid times excluded) to Florida for 5 weeks. We like to also travel at Halloween, Christmas and Easter when we can afford it.

We do not have anyone who will look after a cat for us when we are away. My parents hate cats and my husband’s mum has a dog that requires muzzling.

I feel that the kitten would really tie us to our house, especially as it would have to be indoor only. And eventually the novelty will wear off.

At the same time, the kitten is gorgeous and I am finding myself tempted.

Any advice or just an opinion would be gratefully received.
Old 22 Jun 21, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Can't, cats are great.

I don't have anyone who can take mine either, she loves the local cattery though. Gets her own little holiday and different people to fuss over her. They even send her a Christmas card.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
We both like dogs. However we would never have one as the amount of time we are away would make the cost prohibitive and more importantly wouldn't be fair to them.

My advice. Don't get a Cat.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Imagineer

I don’t think the novelty will wear off… (well maybe for your son depending on his age?) but I find the longer I have my cat the more and more my love for him grows. I always think I can’t love him any more and then our bond just gets stronger! I couldn’t imagine life without him.

We are quite lucky in the sense that we have family on both sides who will cat sit for us. My mum will move in when we go on honeymoon next year (hopefully), so of course we are lucky in that sense.

Obviously a five week holiday might be a bit of a stretch, but you could go away and hire a live in cat sitter, I know people that do that.

Our cat is a BSH and I might be biased, but he is amazing.
Fluffypenguin is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

Other half would love a cat. However I don't do cats. I am definitely a dog person.

Cats have claws and like to use them. They also like the paw you to sit on you with said claws.

Cats climb everywhere kitchen surfaces included.

I've said if we have a cat I refuse to contribute financially to cattery/vet costs. Also I refuse to feed or change its litter tray.

Note I won't have a dog either as we are usually away most weekends and when I go back to an office the dog would be alone all day so not fair to have one. I make do with my mom's dog when we see her.
tiggertastic is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
fluff48
Apprentice Imagineer

We have 3 cats now (oldest 4yrs old). They are very tying as one is so scared that she couldn't cope with the cattery. Our neighbour looked after them in 2019 but when we go to Florida for 4wks in 2022 I don't think it will be fair to ask him to help also not sure if youngest will cope without us for that long. We will probably get a dog walker to come in twice a day to feed them & change the litter. They are such a great addition to the family but could restrict your travels if the cat can't cope with the cattery.
fluff48 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

I don't send my cats to someone when we go away. I have a friend come here and feed them everyday (twice) but my cats have a cat flap and can come and go as they please so aren't in the house alone. Plus I have 2 so they have each other!
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

They make your house smell of cat
They make you smell of cat
You might be tempted to let it poop in your kitchen (why do people do this? litter trays in the bathroom please people)
They'll scratch things
They lick their butts on the worktops
Everything gets covered in hair
And the smell. If people say that you/your house/your cat doesn't smell, they're either
a. cat owners who have become immune
b. lying and/or being too polite
c. have no sense of smell

Seriously though, your travel commitments aren't particularly kind to a house cat. At least if it lived outside/inside, food & water could be given every couple of days by a neighbour and it's life is easy. If you do get one, find a good cattery/cat care and start using it for weekends as soon as you can, even if you're not going anywhere, so it learns it's life from a early age, and you don't stress when you leave it.

Edited at 10:45 AM.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Kidd McFluff
slightly serious Dibber

Cute, adorable, lovely, cuddly, killing machines. My two constantly bring 'presents' into the kitchen for Me and Mrs McFluff to dispose of. The only issue with having someone come over to feed the cats is how they feel about disposing of a variety of dead things... mice, shrews, voles, rats, rabbits, birds, frogs, we've had them all. Our last cat sitter/feeder was a little bit squeamish about this but has since ages a couple of years and now assures us that they will be fine the next time. (last time they phoned their mum to help!)

Catteries can be expensive and for a 5 week trip you might be talking up to £1000 but it's probably worth it to get someone you trust (And who has insurance etc.).

We always leave our cats at home and usually use the same local school child/friend of the family at a rate of £5 per day (bargain). Try asking around your local, school, church, scouts, guides etc? Failing that, do you have a local friend with a trustworthy son/daughter who might be able to help?

Good Luck. Let's face it, you're getting a kitten, you just need to work out how to justify it to yourself!
Kidd McFluff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 21, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

Cats are a pain and no one can deny how cute kittens are.
I really don’t like them pooping in my garden or trying to get the birds.
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List