Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 5 Aug 21, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Dollymixture
Excited about Disney

Day 21: Whitby - Abbey, 199 steps and scampi!

Not long left of our road trip now, we are making our way further south and towards home.

Today we travelled from Durham to York, stopping at Whitby.

The drive to Whitby was about an hour and a half and checking the weather shows it would be sunny til about 4pm before the rain set in

The plan for Whitby was to get some scampi and chips and look around the shops and the harbour, and then climb the 199 steps up to the Abbey, where I had tickets booked.

It was soooo busy in Whitby - I guess in the summer holiday it is to be expected, but it was so busy it was hard to move around as a group of 6 people and two dogs.

We parked up and the kids needed to the toilet, so we had a bit of a trek to find public toilets. We had a look around the harbour - there were lots of people catching crabs, some had buckets full of them. The girls were fascinated - must give it a try some time.

The harbour is lovely, but again, so busy it was hard to appreciate it. The photos don’t reflect how hectic it was!

We had a look in a few shops - I do love the quirky independent shops and there were plenty in Whitby.

We got some scampi and chips (cod and chips for Lila and Sonny) from a takeaway by the harbour called Papas. The prices were really good - we were expecting tiny portions, but they were massive and really delicious. We had skipped breakfast as we didn’t want to be full when we got to Whitby, so thoroughly devoured our lunch! 😂
Koolie also got a box of ‘scraps’ for free as he wanted to try them, we don’t get them in any of the chippies near us.

Feeling completely stuffed we then had the 199 steps to
climb to the Abbey! Koolie and Elliott cheated and took the car instead - they also took Molly our older dog who struggles with stairs.

The girls started off counting the stairs before they realised half way up that each step had its number printed on it! 😂
I didn’t find the climb as hard as I thought i would- my fitness has definitely improved over the last three weeks.

The views from the top are beautiful and well worth the climb up. Sonny decided he wanted to go back to the bottom and time how fast he could run up! He managed it in 46 seconds, but it took him a good half hour to recover and he felt quite ill after! Probably not his best idea after eating a huge portion of food.

We met the others at the entrance to the Abbey - eventually. They took much longer than us and there is quite a long walk from the carpark to the Abbey entrance.

We had prebooked tickets and got in for free with our English Heritage membership.
There is not a huge amount to see really so I am glad we didn’t have to pay the entrance fee.
The ruins of the abbey however are impressive and you can imagine how it would have looked back in the day. The dogs loved all the space and running around on the grass as it was really windy and it turns them a bit crazy!

There is a little museum and a shop as well. We didn’t spend much time here, but it was nice to see the Abbey whilst we were in Whitby.

We then carried on our car journey to York - we are staying at the York Layerthorpes Travelodge.
Tomorrow we are visiting the Jorvik Viking centre and exploring the Shambles

Edited at 09:20 PM.
Dollymixture is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 21, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Whenever I have been to Whitby it’s been so so busy. And often impossible to park. So you did well.

I hope you enjoy York. It’s one of our favourite places. Have a good stroll around, there’s more there than the Shambles. Not far from the end of the Shambles there is a square where there is often a street performer (and also a chocolate museum)

I will be disappointed when your trip ends. I have enjoyed following along.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 21, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

I love Whitby but it can get extremely busy, the harbour and Abbey are fantastic, I can't believe Sonny managed to run up in 46 seconds! No wonder he felt ill
Old 5 Aug 21, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveDaveLamb
Imagineer

Another Bristol family with autism here. (Just DS26.) Agree re Whitby. We bailed out last month. Too hectic by half. Well done on climbing the steps! We had good fish and chips at the Magpie.

York was part of our trip too. Loved it. Had not been for 40 years. We loved it all, but especially sitting in the Minster grounds and walking a bit of the city walks. The Viking Museum has a Spaceship Earth style ride. Recommend the sausage/coffee hut outside it. Railway museum is worth a look too and free. I googled house prices in York when we got home, but not sure what facilities would be like for DS up there.

Can’t believe you ended up in Dalton Park. It was my late mam’s favourite haunt. Glad you walked round Durham. I went to school there and always love gong back.

Really enjoying your trip and I will be sad when it ends.

If our US trip to Tennessee doesn’t come off in Nov I might pinch some of your ideas.

I will say hi if I ever see you in town.

Happy travels! X
Old 5 Aug 21, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Love Whitby and dinner at Magpie, got to be done! York is another fav day out when we are up north! DD loved York maze too - thats a fun day out!

You have done so well on your epic journey!
Old 5 Aug 21, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Welcome to Yorkshire. Impressive stair climbing from Sonny.

You’ll probably find the Shambles itself busy tomorrow. There is a Harry Potter shop on there called The Shop that must be named. Behind it there is a street food market in the square at the moment.

It looks like the rain is here now for the next couple of days. If you need something indoors then agree with the earlier suggestion of the railway museum - its free but needs booking in advance.
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 21, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Fantastic day, we love Whitby but agree it's often very busy.

Hope you have a lovely day in York, it's not looking too bad weather wise at the moment, despite the forecast so fingers crossed. If the main streets are looking busy try exploring the snickleways (little allys) we often come across surprising things despite having lived here for over 25 years!
Old 8 Aug 21, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Whitby always seems busy I don’t think I’ve ever been when it is quiet. Well done on the steps, especially the running!
I could just eat some scampi😊
OB1LukeLucas is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 22, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
karalma
Imagineer

Scraps are the best part of fish and chips 😁. If Whitby is too busy Sandsend, just along the road, is much quieter. We often walk from Sandsend to Whitby, get some chips and walk back. We then only have the crowds to contend with for a short time. A walk from the Abbey along the cliffs is also much quieter.
karalma is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List