Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Aug 21, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile What have you got/getting for university

I know we have a class of 2021 university thread but I thought it might be helpful for all students who are living in halls/student accommodation 👍🏻 I am certainly up for any hints and tips to what we need 😃
I do apologise if I have already done a post like this 😬 my memory is shocking 🙈

So far I have bought a duvet, pillows and some towels plus odd bits of toiletries.
I (think) need a bedding set or two lots of bedding sets.
Bed throw/fleece blanket
Two bins, a paper waste basket for the bedroom and a bathroom one.
Storage baskets for on top of the wardrobe and under the bed.
Shower mat
Laundry basket
Small shoe rack
Over the door hooks/hanger
Lamp

What am I missing?
Also, when they do their laundry what do they use to carry dirty clothes? Do they actually take the laundry basket?
I have never used a laundrette 🙈
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 21, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

My daughter worked and sorted herself out tbh.
I’m not sure if it’s a Dibb thing, but irl I’ve never known parents financing their ‘adult’ kids so much.
I know I’m in the minority on here though and fair play to those parents that fund it all.

Just to add this was living at home, but the same would have applied if she’d moved out to live.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP

Edited at 07:07 PM.
Lisa123wm is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 21, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

I'd get some kind of draw string laundry bag rather than a basket. Easier to store and your smalls aren't on view carrying it to the laundry 😂
Also if your daughter likes pasta to eat buy it soon , the shelves are often empty of it the week before students return.
Apart from that a wedge for the door. I know they are supposed to keep fire doors closed, but it's useful for when in the room and not wanting to feel totally closed off.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 21, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Kitchen stuff, tea towels, utensils and plates, cup, glass etc. My dd didn’t live in halls much but she will be in a house this year. I would also not buy toasters and kettles because someone else might. Over door airer, my dd bought washing home! 😉
Old 13 Aug 21, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

What about one of those U shaped cuddle cushions for on her bed for when she is studying on there? Photo frames for pics from home?
One of those huge reusable Sports Direct bags would be good for taking stuff to and from the laundry as they are quite sturdy and you can fit a fair amount in them.
DD will move out next year when she is in her 4th year and although she works, we will be helping her buy all the stuff she needs. It's what my parents did and its what I will do for my kids, exactly as any caring parent would. Lots of luck to Amelia FT, I am sure she will have a ball xx
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 21, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lisa123wm View Post
My daughter worked and sorted herself out tbh.
I’m not sure if it’s a Dibb thing, but irl I’ve never known parents financing their ‘adult’ kids so much.
I know I’m in the minority on here though and fair play to those parents that fund it all.
I think everyone is different, all my daughters friends are rather wealthy and they have all had cars bought them when they turned 17, only one of them have passed so far 🤣
We made our daughter get a part time job as soon as she turned 16 so we are the mean parents 😉
To be honest she is our first to go to university and I am really excited to make lists and go shopping with her for all her bits, even bins 😃
We are not in a position to finance everything but we will definitely get as much as possible 👍🏻👍🏻
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 21, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
Kitchen stuff, tea towels, utensils and plates, cup, glass etc. My dd didn’t live in halls much but she will be in a house this year. I would also not buy toasters and kettles because someone else might. Over door airer, my dd bought washing home! 😉
Will she need plates and cups? 🤯 its a good job you said that 😬😬
Old 13 Aug 21, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
What about one of those U shaped cuddle cushions for on her bed for when she is studying on there? Photo frames for pics from home?
One of those huge reusable Sports Direct bags would be good for taking stuff to and from the laundry as they are quite sturdy and you can fit a fair amount in them.
DD will move out next year when she is in her 4th year and although she works, we will be helping her buy all the stuff she needs. It's what my parents did and its what I will do for my kids, exactly as any caring parent would. Lots of luck to Amelia FT, I am sure she will have a ball xx
My husband doesn’t think she will wash any clothes 😳 she is so messy, her bedroom floor is full of laundry. I am hoping university is going to make her grow up 🤞🏻🤞🏻
Did/does your daughter travel back to wigan to work? Primark has said they can transfer Amelia to Liverpool but she is scared because she won’t know anyone and won’t be familiar with the store. She is incredibly shy. So she is contemplating staying at the Wigan branch.
Old 13 Aug 21, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
jasminedivas
Apprentice Imagineer

jasminedivas's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
A good mattress topper was one of the main things my DD appreciated, made the bed much more comfy.

Yes she will need her own plate, bowl, cutlery etc. DD also took a wok and used it to cook most things.

Flip flops for the kitchen as DD ended up in A and E with glass in her foot.

Comfort Inn LBV 1999, All Star movies 2003/4/6. Villas 2007/8/9/10/12. Wash DC NYE 2012, NY and LV 14. Orlando, NYC & IAD 15, Orlando & beach 16,17. NY & IAD 2019. West coast 2022 planned.
jasminedivas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 21, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

The Ikea big bags are good for laundry 😄
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List