Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Sep 21, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
pho3nix
slightly serious Dibber

One for the ladies...that time of the month...

Hi ladies of the Dibb,

Not something I really wanted to ask but, I don't really know anyone in the same position and just wondered if anyone out there on the Dibbis suffering too...

To cut a long story short, after months (years really) of issues and getting worse and worse, I have been diagnosed with uterine fibroids - anyone else had the same diagnosis? What did you decide to do? Surgery? Did it help? How did you get through while waiting?

I honestly feel like I've hit a low today, I'm in so much pain and am losing a lot of blood...I really just need some positive stories.

Thank you so much for any suggestions or stories...

Much appreciated
Xx
pho3nix is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 21, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_l81
Very Serious Dibber

Feel your pain- I have fibroids, ovarian cysts on both sides, endometriosis and adenomyosis. I'm monitored every 3 months to check nothing is going awry. I had years of pain and horrendous bleeding. I am desperate for a hysterectomy but my consultant asked me to wait a little longer (I'm 40).

Years ago I did try tranexamic acid which did help. Was offered the coil but didn't want that. Now I take my contraceptive pill back to back no breaks ever and so I dont bleed and manageable pain.
disney_l81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 21, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

Fibroids plus perimenopause gave me really heavy periods. Transexamic acid helped a lot but had Mirena fitted. Still getting periods for the moment but very light. Periods suck!
unixgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 21, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

I suffered with the same. Tranexamic Acid helped a little but in the end I had a hysterectomy. I was 42 at the time and it was the easiest, and best decision I ever made health wise!

Obviously surgery isn’t great, but honestly, it was so worth it. Not having periods anymore is absolute bliss! I was fortunate that we have private health insurance through work so when I asked the consultant about surgery, he was fine to go ahead straight away. He said that if I went the NHS route they may want to try other things first.
JoJo88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 21, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Ladies, one piece of advice that may help - with my 30 year history of breast and ovarian cancer I had a sub-total (cervix remains) hysterectomy in 2001. May I suggest actively investigating as, in some instances, a total hyst can see prolapse issues post surgery. From my experience it's an issue the patient needs to raise. After we spoke, a friend in Fl spoke to her consultant, he admitted he hadn't considered a sub-total, she opted sub-total and has had no issues since.

My sister had issues with fibroids and also opted for sub-total, neither of us, and Fl friend, have been pregnant, by choice, not due to health issues.

Good luck to all at this stage, take good care ladies.
Old 23 Sep 21, 07:03 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Hi I know you said one for the lady’s but I hope you do not mind me answering. My partner had very heavy bleeding for a few years. We where advised not to have children a good few years ago so my partner was told that The contraceptive pill will help with the bleeding then a few years latter her doctor said that the coil was a good idea after she had this it helped a lot. Sorry again hope you can get it sorted one way or another.
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 07:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs_Potts
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

I had very heavy periods and literally tried everything (was on 2 different blood clotters and tranexamic acid). I had an ablation but after that was diagnosed with Complex Endometrial Hyperplasia with Atypia and then fibroids. I had to have a hysterectomy in the end (I am 44).
2005 - Pop Century
2006 - Pop Century
2007 - Pop Century
Mrs_Potts is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
DavieBhoy
VIP Dibber

DavieBhoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Mobile

Similar story to you, having tried medication and injections the final route was surgery - I had a subtotal hysterectomy in 2013 aged 43, I chose to keep ovaries to avoid immediate menopause, which I am going through now. Having had two Caesarians there was a chance of full hysterectomy but this was avoided. Recovery was tough initially but differences have been worth it.

It’s a hard situation to deal with, wishing you well.

Tracy

DavieBhoy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DavieBhoy View Post
Similar story to you, having tried medication and injections the final route was surgery - I had a subtotal hysterectomy in 2013 aged 43, I chose to keep ovaries to avoid immediate menopause, which I am going through now. Having had two Caesarians there was a chance of full hysterectomy but this was avoided. Recovery was tough initially but differences have been worth it.

It’s a hard situation to deal with, wishing you well.

Tracy
Hi Tracy, agreed, a longer recovery but generally easier going forward for the woman. Perhaps sub-total isn't offered as vaginal hysts involve no outter abdominal cutting, thereby making surgery far quicker.

Altho I requested, my superb Dryburn hospital consultant was immediately onboard, he went in via my 1990 ovarian cancer scar. I significantly hemorrhaged on his table and he was about to do the unthinkable, remove my cervix, but finally managed to stop the little bleeder

Unfortunately I contracted MRSA during surgery/hospital stay on that occasion.
Old 23 Sep 21, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
DavieBhoy
VIP Dibber

DavieBhoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hi Tracy, agreed, a longer recovery but generally easier going forward for the woman. Perhaps sub-total isn't offered as vaginal hysts involve no outter abdominal cutting, thereby making surgery far quicker.

Altho I requested, my superb Dryburn hospital consultant was immediately onboard, he went in via my 1990 ovarian cancer scar. I significantly hemorrhaged on his table and he was about to do the unthinkable, remove my cervix, but finally managed to stop the little bleeder

Unfortunately I contracted MRSA during surgery/hospital stay on that occasion.
Hi

I went under anaesthetic hoping for removal via keyhole but due to bad c-section scarring had to be opened via old wound but healed well. There was also the chance that during surgery it might have become full hysterectomy but not the case as I felt recovery from hysterectomy and immediate menopause might be too much at once. Sorry to read you contacted MRSA and had complications.

Tracy

DavieBhoy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List