Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Oct 21, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
vickitoria10
Dibbing with Tink

Transfers in LA/Car hire…which itinerary?

I’m tentatively looking at a 11 night stay in LA next August. I’d originally thought a car but don’t know if we’ll be better with transfers due to traffic and the car spending a lot of time parked up! We are 2 adults and 2 children (9 and 5) so not planning a big road trip and just basing ourselves in LA.

So, don’t know which order yet (any opinions greatly received) but planning 4 nights Burbank/Hollywood (for universal/warner bros/Hollywood/shops/restaurants), 4 (5) nights Anaheim and 2 (3) nights in Santa Monica for the beach/pier/couple of days more relaxed.

We would need to get from the airport to the first place/back from the last and then 2 transfers in the middle. At the destinations though a car would likely be just parked up at the hotel, will this still be more beneficial than booking transfers everywhere?

Please let me have your thoughts or anything I might have missed.

Thanks

WDW - Oct 2010 - SSR, Sept/Oct 2011 - I-Drive, May 2015 - OKW

DLP - Dec 2013, Jan 2015 - Cheyenne
vickitoria10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 21, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Other than Uber or Lyft there are multiple car services available.

You need to request quotes from each of the companies for each individual journey to work out which one best suits your needs.

Some of them will meet you at baggage reclaim in the airport
Some of them include a stop at a grocery store

Sav On Shuttle
Rapid Shuttle
Midwilshuttle
Lanskys
Prime Time Shuttle
Karmel Shuttle

Also you need to check about booster seats for the children, some companies supply the booster seats, some companies don't

Edited at 10:48 AM.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 21, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Lyft works better than Uber but neither can do curb side

This is who I use (and have done for years and subsequently recommend him on here over the years) affordabletowncarcompany/
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 21, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Lyft works better than Uber but neither can do curb side

This is who I use (and have done for years and subsequently recommend him on here over the years) affordabletowncarcompany/
Another vote for this car company, which megaflyer recommended to us. We used them before lock down and could not fault them. Have them booked again for December for our trip from and to LAX. Very reasonably priced too.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 21, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

And another vote, again thanks to MF

My gut feeling, FWIW, is that your costs may be lower using transfers rather than renting a car. We don’t particularly enjoy driving around LA (though we have done it a few times) and if the costs were equal I would let someone else do the driving
Old 21 Oct 21, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Originally Posted by JoS View Post
Another vote for this car company, which megaflyer recommended to us. We used them before lock down and could not fault them. Have them booked again for December for our trip from and to LAX. Very reasonably priced too.
Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
And another vote, again thanks to MF
So I emailed for a quote for one of my journeys on my January California trip.

The price quoted was about $10 cheaper than the quote I got from Midwilshuttle for the same journey.

HOWEVER

With Affordable Town Car the amount had to be paid in full today or I could give a $25 deposit.

I'm assuming if I paid the deposit I would have to pay the balance online before the journey.

They also mentioned tipping the driver 20%

With Midwilshuttle, there is no requirement to pay in advance or pay a deposit. The driver accepts cash or card.

In these Covid times, especially as we are still waiting for the travel ban to be lifted, I am not comfortable paying in advance for a shuttle / car service.

One of the things that changed with my travel habits since Covid is that other than airlines, I don't book things which have to be paid in advance.

I need to get a few more quotes but most likely I will use Midwilshuttle

It all depends on what is suitable for your particular needs.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 21, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bad Pink Tink View Post

The price quoted was about $10 cheaper than the quote I got from Midwilshuttle for the same journey.

HOWEVER

With Affordable Town Car the amount had to be paid in full today or I could give a $25 deposit.

I'm assuming if I paid the deposit I would have to pay the balance online before the journey.

With Midwilshuttle, there is no requirement to pay in advance or pay a deposit. The driver accepts cash or card.

In these Covid times, especially as we are still waiting for the travel ban to be lifted, I am not comfortable paying in advance for a shuttle / car service.

One of the things that changed with my travel habits since Covid is that other than airlines, I don't book things which have to be paid in advance.

I guess pays ya money takes ya chance.

You are not going till January so need need to do anything yet except plan. Tipping in CA is 20% (and many places in Palm Springs last time I was there restaurants would add 25-30% on your bill automatically so it is the norm and I would tip a shuttle driver likewise - you can of course not tip if you get a bad service or reduce it )

You can pay just the 25% depot oil and the rest in the car on your final journey - I have done that with the company myself but for this Dec I paid upfront as the exchange rate was good and I know if I NEED to cancel for covid then my insurance will cover any non refundables .
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 21, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

HOWEVER

If you pay the deposit, you dont pay balance before you go. You pay cash to the driver. As for the tip, I would pay that for any car service including Uber. Sometimes if we get good service I pay a bit more.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 21, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

If you pay the deposit, you dont pay balance before you go. You pay cash to the driver.
That should have mentioned in the email, I guess I am picky about things like that as its part of my job to write the text for auto response emails, so I pick up on missing information more that other people might.

As for the tip, I would pay that for any car service including Uber. Sometimes if we get good service I pay a bit more.
I guess with the tip aspect, I kinda appricate that, as its helpful to know whats expected. I guess its just jarring to be so in your face reminded about it
Old 21 Oct 21, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

That should have mentioned in the email, I guess I am picky about things like that as its part of my job to write the text for auto response emails, so I pick up on missing information more that other people might.

I guess with the tip aspect, I kinda appricate that, as its helpful to know whats expected. I guess its just jarring to be so in your face reminded about it
It may not be in the email, but it is on FAQ's on the website, or somewhere, as I definitely read it. I didnt take it that they were being in your face and reminding you, but more just letting you know that a tip wasnt included in the price. Of course you dont have to tip, and no one can make you, but I am so used to every service in the US where its customary to tip. All I can say is we have had great service with him being outside just as we arrived. He had water for us and was a great friendly helpful guy. He even brought a little step for me to climb into the SUV as it was high off the ground.

Edited at 10:36 PM.