Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 17 Feb 15, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

Gutted for DS

He had a rejection today for St Andrews Uni. It was his first choice.
He has AAAAB at Higher and has unconditionals from Glasgow, Edinburgh and Strathclyde, predicted AAA at AH.
Didn't even get a conditional to St Andrews.
Poor lad he is away on a school trip at the moment and is gutted.
Hey ho, everything happens for a reason.
Old 17 Feb 15, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Emi
Imagineer

Emi's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 11
Mobile

Oh no. What was he hoping to study there? And was it grades alone that caused the rejection?
Emi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 15, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Belle
Imagineer

Oh I'm sorry to read this. I know there are bigger problems than this in life but it breaks your heart as a mum doesn't it?

DLP New Year 1993, May 05, Mar 07, Jan17 and Sept 22
Orlando 1986, 1991, 1994, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017 & 2023
Big Belle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 15, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
PJB71
Imagineer

Really sorry to hear this
PJB71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 15, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Oh no. What was he hoping to study there? And was it grades alone that caused the rejection?
Astrophysics, think it was purely grades as he does all the extra curricular stuff, CCF, Hockey, Pipe Band, prefect etc. Good personal statement as well. I don't suppose we will ever know.
We know St Andrews keeps a certain percentage of places for Scottish applicants and private school may go against you as well.

Glasgow was a very close second choice so he will go there I think. It boiled down to city over small(ish) town.
Old 18 Feb 15, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
He had a rejection today for St Andrews Uni. It was his first choice.
He has AAAAB at Higher and has unconditionals from Glasgow, Edinburgh and Strathclyde, predicted AAA at AH.
Didn't even get a conditional to St Andrews.
Poor lad he is away on a school trip at the moment and is gutted.
Hey ho, everything happens for a reason.
The course my DD applied for was difficult to get in to due to number of applicants and also a large percentage come from private schools . Her first reply was a rejection and she was in bits. Her second response was an acceptance. It was one of her top 2 so she accepted right away. As you say some things are meant to be. She is loving where she is and only has just over a year to go, which will be a relief for DH and me It's hard work and a lot of study and she gets stressed often but I keep reminding her how elated she was when she finally got accepted.

We look on it as Edinburgh's loss

Oh, Glasgow was in her top 2. She didn't wait for a reply
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 15, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Morganza
slightly serious Dibber

St Andrews is a small university that attracts people from all over the UK - fiercely, fiercely competitive. I'd think it's more than unlikely your son was just unlucky with the numbers than it being anything about his application.

Glasgow is fab - not that I'm biased
Morganza is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 15, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
rosiela
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I know these things are really disappointing at the time and I'm sorry for you and your son (as I know you will be gutted for him) - but I strongly believe that sometimes things work out for the best. I didn't get in to my first choice uni and was gutted, then ended up having the best time at Edinburgh, and met the friends I still have now 10 years later. Glasgow is a fab city and once he is there I don't think it will matter to him about not getting his first choice as he will still (hopefully) have a fab time. X
rosiela is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 15, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
HappyGoLucky
Imagineer

How did he find out if he is on a school trip?
Not been opening his mail I hope?!
Old 18 Feb 15, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Really sorry that he didn't get his first choice - but hopefully he will have a great time at Glasgow!
Closed Thread