Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 5 Aug 16, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
leighlee
Getting Excited

I Will Use Up All My Meal Credits If It Kills Me Trip Report - May 2016 - Day 10 - AK & Mini Golf

Day 10 - Saturday 7th May – Animal Kingdom, Fantasia Mini Golf & Beaches & Cream

It was EMH at Animal Kingdom today, so as usual we got there before opening and then headed straight for Kilimanjaro Safaris and got on the first truck out to the savannah. I have to say that again there was no mad rush and everyone was chilled out and just walked towards the rides which was nice. I love the African Painted Dogs, especially early in the morning as they are up and about playing. Later in the day they just hide at the back of the pen snoozing. They are so cute looking, but one of the top predators apparently.

We got some great views of the animals. Of particular note was one of the lionesses getting ready to pounce on the other one. She looked just like any domestic cat, crouching really low on her belly with her bottom wiggling away, before she jumped onto the other one. They were just playing though and then laid straight back down together. The driver was great as she waited around for the pounce as she could see it coming before any of the passengers realised what was about to happen. At first I thought the lion was just about to lie down. I think we ended up behind a private tour with only one family in, so we made quite a few longer stops that would not normally happen.

Next we rushed over to Dinosaur and rode that 3 times in a row as it was so quiet. Even the cast member at the entrance commented that we might as well keep riding as there was no queue. Once we had finished on Dinosaur the park was opening, so we headed back to Safari to use our first fast pass. We sauntered past a massive group of school kids all in red t-shirts, thinking that we were glad they were not heading in the same direction as us! Imagine our surprise when after stopping for a snack in Harambe (watermelon which was 1 snack credit, OOP would have been $3.62) , we got to the fast pass queue only to find that this massive group of teenagers had just beaten us to the fast pass line. Not sure how they managed to get past us, without us noticing. We had a little panic that we were gonna end up behind them in the queue, but luckily they took ages to get their fast passes sorted, so we managed to get in front of them (Phew). I think there were 75 of them in the end, so glad we managed to get in front of them.

We then went to see it’s Tough to be a Bug and had an early lunch at Yak & Yeti. We had Beef Teriyaki, chips and a drink (1 meal credit, OOP was approx. $19).

We then watched Flights of Wonder, went on Kali River Rapids using a fast pass (didn’t get wet and didn’t need a fast pass) and then watched Finding Nemo the Musical which was a great show

With our fast passes all used up (we had a Dinosaur fast pass we didn’t use as we had ridden it 3 times earlier) and knowing that we would be back here on Monday, we decided to leave. We caught a bus to the Swan hotel and walked across to Fantasia Gardens Mini Golf as this is now included with the Ultimate Ticket (OOP would have been $28 plus tax). It was very busy, so we had to wait 30 minutes for a tee off time.

As we were a party of 2, we caught up to the group in front of us pretty quickly:angry: and there was a group directly behind us. Due to the backlog and the waiting around it took us over 1 hour to complete the course. It was good fun though, although very hot as there is almost no shade around most of the course.

We then took a slow walk to the Beach Club for our 3.40pm Beaches & Cream reservation. It was our first time ever visiting this place and it’s so tiny that a reservation is a must unless you just want to go to the quick service counter. We ordered a grilled cheese sandwich which came with tomato bisque and a bowl of chilli and also a pecan butter milkshake. We followed this with a No Way Jose sundae to share.

All the food was delicious. The cost was $38.87 + 20% tip ($7). We paid for this using our $200 Disney Gift Card for the bill and cash for the tip, as it’s not included on the dining plan we were on. We then had to decide on the quickest way to get back to POFQ, either walk through Epcot and catch a bus there, walk to HS and catch a bus there, or go to the Swan and catch a bus there to Disney Springs (I suppose we also should have considered catching a bus from The Beach Club, but we didn’t know where the bus stop was). In the end we unfortunately chose the slowest option to go back to the Swan Hotel because there would be less walking involved. We did not realise that the bus would stop at all the other Epcot resorts first, before heading up to Disney Springs. We waited over 20 minutes for a bus and then 2 Disney Springs buses came at once, then both proceeded to stop at every resort. Even though the other bus picked up 2 scooters, it still managed to stay ahead, because for some reason our bus driver decided to wait behind it, rather than head off straight away:angry:. In the end it took us over 45 minutes to get to Disney Springs.

We then headed straight to the boat dock and got lucky and walked straight onto a boat. We decided to go straight out to the pool at French Quarter for the 1st time in the holiday and spent about 1 hour there. It was getting a bit cooler, so we decided to head back to the room and get a reasonably early night.

QSDP – 1 meal credits used today/1 snack credit used (39 QSDPs left/9 snack credits left)

Value of QS meals/snacks to date $516.66

Day 11 – Hollywood Studios, Epcot & Disney Springs

Trip Report Index

Leigh
1997, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2005 - IDrive/ 2003 - NY, Oahu & LV/2008 IDrive, Miami, POFQ/2010 - IDrive, POFQ & HRH/ 2010 - NY/2011 - Rome/ 2011 - LV/ 2012 - POFQ & HRH/2013 - DL, Oahu & LA/ 2015 - DLP/ 2015 - DL, LV & LA/ 2016 - POFQ & HRH/2017 DLP/2018 RPR & POR/2019 - NY

Edited at 09:31 PM.
leighlee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 16, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

That beef teriyaki looks lush.well chuffed getting in front of the 75 people tour group 😀😀
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 16, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
leighlee
Getting Excited

We were really happy to nip in front of the tour group I can tell you
1997, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2005 - IDrive/ 2003 - NY, Oahu & LV/2008 IDrive, Miami, POFQ/2010 - IDrive, POFQ & HRH/ 2010 - NY/2011 - Rome/ 2011 - LV/ 2012 - POFQ & HRH/2013 - DL, Oahu & LA/ 2015 - DLP/ 2015 - DL, LV & LA/ 2016 - POFQ & HRH/2017 DLP/2018 RPR & POR/2019 - NY
leighlee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 17, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I love yak and yeti, beaches looks lovely too
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List