Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 31 Aug 16, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

A Tale As Old As... January 2016 - Day 17: Disney Springs, Orlando Eye, Hometime (& Future Plans)

The Index

Day 17 - Disney Springs, Orlando Eye & Travelling Home

Saturday 6 February

Wow, we woke up not believing that it was our last day, so sad.

It was around 8am, so we spent a bit of time lazing around before starting the final bits of packing. We been doing it in stages as there was so blooming much of it and Rich had to force the cases shut in the end. We certainly don’t travel light!

6 cases. 2 hand luggage each.

It was certainly hard work getting this down the corridor, in the lift, across the food court through the doors and into the car park I can tell you

Before we left I took a few random pics of the room for your viewing pleasure...

You're welcome

It was 10.30 before we reached the car loading up for Disney Springs to utilise the Virgin drop off.

We agreed we’d happily stay at Cabana Bay again if the price was right, but we do enjoy being on International Drive and that bit closer to the restaurants and bars. The buses to Citywalk were superb though and we couldn’t fault them at all. We also didn't miss the front of line passes but thats contributed to by the time of year we travelled of course.

We found the Disney Springs drop off (head for the valet parking at La Nouba and you can’t miss it) and checked in and there was no queue. We did two trips with the bags due to the sheer number. It was nice and quiet. Surprisingly the heaviest case was only 28kg - the things we had must have been bulky as opposed to heavy. We were just pleased to be rid of them! They printed off our boarding cards and checked us in, we still had 7a and 8a and they put our upper labels on the bags and off they went!

After that, as is becoming tradition, we spent the rest of our morning at Disney Springs. It was lovely to be back inside the Disney bubble and we pointed our Saratoga Springs to each other across the water. They had started work on Planet Hollywood (although I’d rather they got rid of it completely –hate it!) and had a bit of a confused point trying to work out where was best to park and ended up in the nearest parking garage we saw. They had the nifty green lights on showing spaces, again it was super quiet so not really needed. Slightly surprising given it was 11.30am on a Saturday!

We had thought we were closer to marketplace that we were but that garage didn't seem to be open. It was an impressive structure and level 2 is the same level as the bridge. We restroomed and then headed to the World of Disney. I picked up a goofy soft toy, a key ring and a bottle opener than my mum had requested. The lady at the checkout asked if we were flying today and when we said we were she advised that the bottle opener couldn’t be taken as hand luggage – good job she mentioned! So unfortunately we had to leave that.

From there we walked past Ghiradelli and grabbed a free chocolate - gotta be done! - then headed to the Earl of Sandwich. Despite being just before 12 and the queue was out of the building (as usual). It moved quickly and we had two holiday sandwiches in our hands before long. It was $6.99 for each sandwich, $1.29 for crisps (chips) and $2.99 for a fountain soda, plus tax. The queue just continued to build as we waited too! But they can't half do a sandwich

Next up was the Art of Disney to pick up the girls prints design that we’d seen – Daisy and Minnie for $39.95 each plus tax. So glad we did now! Although they are currently in a box somewhere ready to be hung in our new house!

As usual when we came out of there it was tipping it down but unfortunately it didn’t really stop for the rest of the day. We did a fast walk from there back from the car but it felt even longer in the rain with precious cargo in hand (the prints).

With a couple of hours to go before we needed to be at the airport we decided to try and use our Orlando Eye tickets. It was a cloudy day so we didn’t think we’d see too much but decided it was better than not using them at all. On our way we stopped at Walgreens to make the last attempt to get the chocolates I wanted but they didn’t have them – knew I should have got them when I saw them!

We exchanged our vouchers for tickets at the main desk and walked straight on. We watched a short 4d film and then it was time for the eye. There was just us 2 and a family of 4 so we got a pod together. You could see places in the distance but due to the cloud it was difficult. The speakers told us on a clear day you could see Kennedy Space Centre! No doubt last night would have been perfect - damn that private party :angry:

It took just over 20 minutes and then we went to see Madame Tussauds. It didn’t take us long to walk through this as this really isn't our thing, but there were some cool games and interactive sections if you are so inclined. We took a few photos, spending more time at the Walt Disney figure than most, learning that he was an ambulance driver for the red cross!

After that we hopped into the sealife centre (all included with the ticket) which was quite narrow so felt a lot busier than the other places. You could see that kids were loving it, getting their sea passports stamped at each creature and I enjoyed getting to touch a star fish which was pretty cool.

A whirlwind tour of everything took around 90 minutes – I wouldn’t pay for it but it was free so worth a trip.

Back at the car I changed out of my wet sandals (it was still raining) into my boots (boo) and we finished off our cupcakes before setting off for Orlando Airport just before 3pm. We took the toll road which was $2.25 and only took 20 minutes, passing the Florida Mall on the way which we hadn’t managed to make it too this trip (again)!

It was really easy dropping the car off. We must have been on fumes in terms of gas but it was no problem and they gave us a receipt to say everything was a-ok. We chucked out all the rubbish, including Richard’s precious cooler and then handed over all the water we had left to the staff working there that seemed pretty grateful. A quick calculation meant we had gone through almost 12 crates (apologies environment) as well as all the water we topped up in our water bottle around the parks.

Straight into the terminal from there, we decided to go and get security done with and into the upper lounge. It only took 10 minutes in the end and we got the shuttle over to the gate. If we didn’t have the lounge we wouldn’t have been so hasty and spent more time looking through the shops. There was a cinnabon that would have been worth a visit, although the only other places was duty free, starbucks, outback and a couple of other places. That being said its ten times better than Sanford, which is pretty much a hole.

We found the lounge easily above Starbucks and got settled for our two hour wait. We got changed into our ‘England’ wear and helped ourselves to the free food and drinks available. I had a wine and Rich had a Miller lite, as well as an iced tea and two g&t’s. I stuck to the wine and read my Harry Potter book. The lounge itself was huge and we got a nice selection of big comfy chairs to ourselves and then helped ourselves to the snacky food.

Around 5.30pm someone came to collect us and others for our flight. They told us that we were waiting for two people who were being rushed through from check in after showing up by the skin of their teeth but given the gate was literally a 2 minute walk away we decided to head off ourselves.

By 6pm we were settled in our seats, pooh bear has his own as you can see and we starting making the most of our upper experience again. The couple behind us were the ones that had been late and was telling us about how they had hit nightmare traffic after getting off a cruise this morning in Miami – that must be so stressful! I took a photo for them as it was their first upper experience and then we had a photo too.

The menu was handed around for evening meal and breakfast. I had the celeriac and pear soup, searched duck and orange salad, and molton chocolate cake. The salad was particularly yummy.

I did take photos like a good dibber but it won't let me upload them at the moment!

I also ordered waffles for my breakfast which was brought around about 5.30am UK time and was, er, ok. It was never going to compare after all of our American eats though was it!

The hours in between were spent reading, trying to sleep (I failed as it was so bloomin’ hot but Rich got a couple of hours in). We also both had the sleep suits but to be honest they were a top and pjs and in a rather hot polyester material – next time I’m bringing my own PJs haha! ‘Next time’… wishful thinking there.

I got up and down to the bar a couple of times helping ourselves to water and snacks.

The return flight was helped along by a strong tail wind so only took 6 and a bit hours! Super fast. We were a bit sad about that as it brought our upper experience to an end sooner, but then again you just want to get home by that point don’t you?

We were helpfully off after the lower premium cabin again and straight into the immigration, which luckily wasn’t too bad. Our bags (which always take forever at Manchester anyway) were some of the first off and we were in a taxi home by around 7.30am. We opened the bags, tipped out our dirty washing, put a wash on and loaded all of our goodies onto the dining table for unwrapping later and headed to bed. As I never sleep on planes I need a couple of hours to get me through the day and then I tend to slip back into normal UK time after an early night.

Then we got up we spent hours sorting through all of our new things! Such a lovely reminder

And that, is well, that...

To everyone that has read all of this THANK YOU - it is nice to know its not just me though I have enjoyed doing it. I'm sorry its taken ages but at least its done

And to everyone who has commented - what gems you are! Its true it keeps you going & I will reply to you all... unless I become inundated with new comments that there are too many to reply ... probably not

See you on the boards soon

Future Plans

Well, I hoped this would be a lovely stand alone section at the end of the trippie. Telling you all about our NEXT TRIP. But unfortunately we can't book anything at the moment what with a new house (and new car ) on the cards (3 weeks and counting ) we have to keep an eye on the £££. We are very fortunate to have had an amazing year as well as this fab trip and lots of great holidays, but it doesn't stop you thinking (and talking) (and dibbing) about Florida, does it?

Doesn't stop me making lists and lists of ADRs and snacks for next time though

Whilst we usually go at least 2 years between trips, its the big 3-0 for me in May and I'd love to do Flower and Garden at Epcot so we'll see... we do have air miles to use after all

But more realistically it may be the end of 2017 - we were meant to be planning a big family Christmas trip but my sister has announced she's likely to get married abroad (Fiji has been mentioned ) in early 2018 so thats now unlikely! If the family aren't with us we'll 'probably' go early December to miss the crowds.

But then again I found some BARGAIN flights with TCX to Los Angeles for next May too which has got me thinking about Disney Land again

So WHO knows.

I'll be along with a pre trippie no doubt and will be living through you all in the meantime!

Ta-rah for now! Michelle xx
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 16, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

Aw, it's the end have really enjoyed your report, thank you for taking the time to write it all up.

Good luck with the house move and fingers crossed you're back at Disney again soon!
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 16, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
I'm seriously impressed with all your suitcases! Really enjoyed reading along.
Hope you are settling into your new home and happy planning for your 30th, wherever that may be!

Mrs P
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 16, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

Enjoyed your report.packing light is not my thing either .i go away for a weekend and I look like Im leaving home forever 😳
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 16, 07:44 AM  
Link to this Post
buffyboxslayer
slightly serious Dibber

Really enjoyed reading your report. So sad it has ended. Hope you get to go back soon.
Old 1 Sep 16, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
lovedisney89
Imagineer

Really enjoyed your report, sounds like you had an amazing trip! Thanks for sharing

Las Vegas & California - 2014
Orlando - 2000/2001/2002/2003/2004/2005/2006/2007/2010/2013/2014/2017
lovedisney89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 16, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
2littleboys
Imagineer

2littleboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi Michelle, Ive been patiently waiting on your final day. I really enjoyed reading your trip report thank you for taking the time to post it all, it has been a wonderful trip! Hopefully we will see a pre-trippie from your real soon
Old 1 Sep 16, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamer81
Imagineer

DisneyDreamer81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Awww, have loved reading this! Boo to it being over.

You'll have another trip booked before you know it, I bet Just book it while Rich is cleaning - he won't notice! xx
2015 - Disneymoon! Caribbean Beach Resort & Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
2017 - Yacht Club & Disney Dream
DisneyDreamer81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 16, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
slow.jo
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Really enjoyed your report, thank so much taking the time to share. Hope it's not too long till the next time for you
Jo xxx

Stewboy's Trip Reports
slow.jo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 16, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
HEMANCLOFTY
Dibbing with Tink

HEMANCLOFTY's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I've loved reading your trippie Michelle - thanks for sharing 😀
HEMANCLOFTY is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List