Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 7 Feb 15, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
bowcutt
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile Is Whistler worth a visit?

We are spending a week in Vancouver in July and are wondering whether a day trip to Whistler is worth doing. Has anyone done this?
bowcutt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 15, 12:43 AM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

My sister lives in Vancouver and i have visited many times. Vancouver is absolutely beautiful, we love it there. we love Stanley park Grouse Mauntain and down town Vancouver. i visited Whistler once only, that was 26yrs ago when my children were small i remember thinking Wow what a beautiful resort! ,they had the most enchanting little xmas shop there open all yr round and street performers,we stayed in chalets over night. The way i remember Whistler its def worth a visit! ...
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 15, 06:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

We spent a week in Whistler last summer (as well as Vancouver, Vancouver Island and Seattle). It wasn't my favourite place - very touristy and so many people.

One idea for a daytrip would be on route to Whistler fairly close together are a mine museum (fabulous - kids loved it) - if you go, there is a shack selling fish and chips just in the carpark opposite which was delicious - and the new cable car which goes up the mountain to a suspension bridge. Great views and some nice though short walks.

Feel free to ask any questions about Vancouver or Whistler.

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 15, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
toffeecush1on
Imagineer

We visited Whistler last year. We did the Rocky Mountaineer day trip. The train journey and scenery was wonderful, but Whistler was a let down for us.

July/Aug 09 - Cumbrian Lakes Villa ~ Sept 10 - SSR
May 11 - SSR ~ Oct/Nov 11 - SSR
Aug/Sept 12 - OKW - DCL - HRH
June 13 - DCL - 7 Night Mediterranean Cruise ~ Christmas 13- Sandy Ridge Villa
May 14 - DCL - 9 Night Alaska Cruise ~ Sept 14 - DLRP ~ Dec 14 - DLRP
July 15 - DCL - 12 Night European Cruise
~ Sept 15 - DLRP
Feb/Mar 16 - SSR ~ May 16 - DCL - 7 Night Norwegian Fjords Cruise
Christmas 16 - All Stars ~ April 17 - WDW -DCL - WBPC - Disneyland
toffeecush1on is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 15, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

We drove to whistler for the day from Vancouver and thought it was a waste of a day. I imagine if you are staying there and using it as a ski resort, then I'm sure it's lovely - but as a day trip there wasn't really anything to see.

Having said that, we were there in 2000, so it might have changed in 15 years!
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 15, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Cutiepie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
We spent a week in Whistler last summer (as well as Vancouver, Vancouver Island and Seattle). It wasn't my favourite place - very touristy and so many people.

One idea for a daytrip would be on route to Whistler fairly close together are a mine museum (fabulous - kids loved it) - if you go, there is a shack selling fish and chips just in the carpark opposite which was delicious - and the new cable car which goes up the mountain to a suspension bridge. Great views and some nice though short walks.

Feel free to ask any questions about Vancouver or Whistler.
That's great to here about the Mine Museum, I have pencilled to go here in the summer, its always good to hear from someone who has been.

We are in Vancouver for a week this summer before our Alaska cruise, We have decided to stay in Squamish for a couple of nights & are planning on the family white water rafting, Sea to Sky Gondola, Mine Museum, a drive up to Whistler and a state park.

Any other recommendations?
Cutiepie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 15, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

We did some hikes around Whistler - we said if we went back we would stay in Squamish. To be honest, I wouldn't bother with Whistler itself! The highlight was the ropeswing into one of the lakes - the kids spent hours on that - awesome dude (as was heard by an American kid swinging off it - it became our saying of the week! )

The Sea to Sky gondola was fun - my kids are used to gondalas as we are a skiing family but the views from the top was great and the trails they had were fun. I would go early rather than later to avoid the crowds (we did the suspension bridge without anyone else on it!)

The Mine museum was definitely worth the time to do - fun and educational!

In Vancouver, we hired bikes to do Stanley Park which was fun! The Science museum was a hit for the kids(13 and 9 at the time). We also did Capilano Suspension bridge - to be honest if you are doing the Sea to Sky gondola you can miss it out. It gets super crowded.

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 15, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
bowcutt
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks for the tips. We had been looking at the sea to sky gondolas so will definitely do that see how the time goes and maybe drive on up to Whistler. Have you driven in Vancouver itself - are the roads jam packed?
bowcutt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 15, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

We picked the car up after our stay in Vancouver. We had to drive back through on the way to the airport. It was a typical city - lots of traffic lights and stop start! The gps was useful!

Index of my trip reports
Old 8 Feb 15, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
bowcutt
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you.
Closed Thread