Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Mar 20, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Body seizing up on me

I am 50 next year, obviously a delicate age for most ladies, for the last six months have been struggling with terrible upper arm pain, weak muscles in arms, stiff neck, tender hand joints etc, recently its getting worse and worse, I feel like my body is just seizing up! I feel 100! Docs have taken two lots of bloods, nothing adverse shown. I am at my wits end, and rattling with the supplements (glucosamine, menopace, tumeric etc)

I know you dibbers are not doctors, and I am going back to GP again tomorrow, just wondered if anyone else has had similar and can advise me. Or sympathise with me! No amount of physio or acupuncture is helping.

I have bath salts, have been swimming etc as much as possible. Just feel like I am grinding to a halt physically.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Mobile

I've got to be honest but I find keeping moving and doing plenty exercise helps. I still get aches and pains but I still feel better than it I don't do anything. I'm 57 and have found this works for me.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JudyC View Post
I've got to be honest but I find keeping moving and doing plenty exercise helps. I still get aches and pains but I still feel better than it I don't do anything. I'm 57 and have found this works for me.
I’m with you on this, if I sit down for too long I do seize up, I think the menopause does give you more aches & pains, try a bit more exercise see if that helps or go back to the Drs
Good luck
ClaireNJ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

its it just your upper body or is it all over?

I have fibromyalgia so I sympathise with the aches and pains some days I feel like my body has it in for me

Gentle exercise can be beneficial for a lot of aches & pains but doing too much can make symptoms worse. I know your doing swimming but that can actually be quite strenuous on the arms/upper body so may not be ideal if that is where you are having problems.
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Mymemories
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by JudyC View Post
Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
I’m with you on this, if I sit down for too long I do seize up, I think the menopause does give you more aches & pains, try a bit more exercise see if that helps or go back to the Drs
Good luck
Ditto here with you both.

I’ll be 57 this year and totally feel in the grip of menopause. 18 months ago hubby and I went to WDW for a week and I felt as though my body just completely failed me and was no longer fit for purpose. I have suffered with rheumatism in both knees and hips since I was 11 as it’s hereditary, but now I had trouble walking, difficulty breathing, couldn’t bend down and couldn’t stretch up. I was so miserable one night I just had an uncontrollable crying fit

When we got back I started working with a personal trainer in a small fitness studio 3 times a week and I’ve never felt so bloody fantastic. I now feel fit and strong and so much better able to tackle just everyday.

This was me at WDW when I felt awful and totally let down by my body

and this is me on our trip last December giving Gaston a run for his money

And this is me in the gym ... working bloody hard but it’s just sooooooo worth it

Just keep moving, unfortunately I think with age comes a constant feeling of aches and pains but if you keep moving your body will be able to cope with it better 🤗🤗🤗
Old 1 Mar 20, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Mobile

Have you been checked for frozen shoulder/shoulder injury as what you are describing sounds very like how I was when I had it😭 I couldn’t stretch to wipe the worktops or get a ticket at a car park. I was about the same age too, perhaps a couple of years younger but not hugely different! Unfortunately it took several steroid injections and a couple of ops to sort it but it is fine now😉
Good luck hope it is sorted soon.
Old 1 Mar 20, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I do water aerobics and Pilates. I can't do everything in pilates but I'm not sure I ever could. 😂
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

Could it be menopausal arthralgia? Not nice but if it is it should improve. I don't think there is anything specific to treat it other than maintaining a decent BMI and gentle exercise combined with painkillers.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

While your GP needs to investigate you I find that if I do pilates and yoga I actually feel better. I can go to a session feeling stiff and achy and come away feeling stretched and invigorated.

Choose a class carefully, I like classes where you work to your own limits, there is no sense of competition to do better than others and that mentally suits you.

We have a dog and I walk daily come rain or shine I believe I have a commitment to my dog and that gets me moving whatever the weather.

I have completely changed our diet, we eat only fresh food, virtually no take outs (husband has oneeverybthree months or so, I wont eat it) I bake our own bread and make all the jam/marmalade so we dont have preservatives. We dont eat cakes or buiscuits. We eat loss of fresh fruit and veg. This has helped to make me feel better in myself.

Hope this helps.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
anna68
VIP Dibber

anna68's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Do you take vitamin d supplement?
anna68 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List