Old 25 Oct 19, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
may
Apprentice Imagineer

may's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 10
Will We? Won't We? September 2020 1. Background

Cast

Myself,L, 54 at the end of August 2020, lover of all things Disney, particularly holiday planning , graduating (hopefully) from Masters Degree, Summer 2020.
R, daughter of L, 21 at the end of July 2020, lover of Halloween, Disney and Universal, particularly Harry Potter, graduating ( hopefully) from BA Hons Degree, Summer 2020.
O, lovely girl, joint best friend of R, 21 at end of July 2020, lover of Halloween, Disney and Universal, particularly Harry Potter, completing first year of BA Hons Degree (definitely) Summer 2020.

Intro
We have all been to Orlando several times before, myself and R with my husband M , O with her family. R and O have been friends since school and had always shared a dream that they would celebrate their 21st birthdays with an Orlando holiday. I will simply take advantage of any excuse M has decided not to accompany us this time He may be persuaded to change his mind

We have hesitated to book this holiday. Despite my advancing years and creaky knees all three of us are currently students. Finances need careful management although we all undertake some part time work. Myself and R will potentially be in the market for full time permanent work Summer 2020 onward. There are many eventualities that may come along and complicate things.
However, we found a price we liked and the opportunity seemed too good to reject out of hand. Consequently, we have booked a largely budget package in a manner that can be cancelled before a certain time point with the loss of just the deposit. We are currently engaged in serious saving alongside the studies and upgrades can be implemented if they prove viable ( which they probably won't )

Broad Plan Basic
We are currently travelling with BA direct Gatwick to Orlando on 1.9.2020 ( the day after my birthday) where we have 12 nights booked at Holiday Inn Resort Lake Buena Vista and 5 at Universal's Surfside. This has cost us £2,100 between 3 . there is no resort fee for either property.This seemed a good price for 17 nights even bearing in mind September is often cheap. We won't be driving, both hotels offer free transport. We know we will also need to make some use of uber / lyft.

We will also need Disney tickets at about £400 each ( it hurts me even to type that figure) and Universal at around £280, plus Hallowen Horror Nights Frequent Fear passes at about £110.

Broad Plan With Expensive Twiddly Bits
At a potential additional cost of £300 between us we currently have booked one night in a 2 queens, club level room at Hard Rock on 17th Sept. This takes advantage of the fact that club , which myself and R have done before and enjoyed was only about £20 more than standard. I wouldn't normally put Hard Rock on the last night but our flight back is later than usual and we can have some breakfast,check out, leave the bags with bell services, have some park time, come back and hang out at the pool until departure.
At a potential additional cost of about £1100 between us I have also booked with Disney UK a five night package in a preferred ( I wanted standard but there were none left with free dining) 2 queens room at Coronado Springs from 2nd to 7th September with free QSDP in case we are feeling flush. As we probably won't be, I have initially booked it for one person only so that if we need to cancel it the loss will be one lot of £50 deposit.
Discovery Cove, non dolphin swim, no seaworld etc would be great , probably about £150? but maybe there will be a special offer?
MNSSHP , would also be fun, the girls love to dress up but the £70 or so for the tickets may be an indulgence too far ...

Food / Other Spends
I am a passionate follower of the great $100 a day dining reports from dixonsontour and love to save money with a few speedy breakfasts in the room, coupons, happy hours, packed lunch for water park etc. We have never been big shoppers, particularly with the poor exchange rate. However, we will doubtless go for a wander round the Florida Mall , particularly if we can get a decent coupon for Bath and Body Works :-)

So the question remains. Will we? Won't we? Will I be a mass of snivelling self pity if we don't?
may is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List