Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 3 Dec 17, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
nursetina
Apprentice Imagineer

Anyone done 4 day Asia cruise with Royal caribean?

Hi everyone, we are going to Singapore and Bali in June for my oh 60th birthday. We have always wanted to try a cruise but I've been reluctant to commit to a week in case I didn't like it. We have booked a 4 night Royal caribean cruise on voyager of the seas, which will give us a taste of cruising life and if we like it, lead to a longer cruise in the future. We are visiting Penang and Phuket on the cruise.
I was wondering if anyone has experience of this cruise, the ship or the trips on those stops? We are looking at doing the elephant sanctuary in Phuket for my DD birthday, anyone done this? What was it like? Also we hadn't planned a tour in Penang, just thought we'd wander round on our own? Is this doable or recommended?
Any thoughts, recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.
nursetina is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 17, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I've been wanting to do a Singapore to Penang cruise for a while - but never got around to booking one (mainly as all my annual leave in the last year was spent going to various Disney parks)... Also never cruised before either!

Not been to Penang and Phuket but I live in Singapore!
Old 4 Dec 17, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
nursetina
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by sky13 View Post
I've been wanting to do a Singapore to Penang cruise for a while - but never got around to booking one (mainly as all my annual leave in the last year was spent going to various Disney parks)... Also never cruised before either!

Not been to Penang and Phuket but I live in Singapore!
What are the must do's in Singapore then? you must be an expert living there ha ha. We will have a bit of time on the evening before the cruise, the 3 more nights after the cruise. Universal is a must do, as are gardens by the bay, but any little hidden gems that you recommend?
I'll let you know about the cruise on my return.
nursetina is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 17, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
HiddenMickey35
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Singapore is beautiful place and I always want to cruise from Singapore to Australia... hopeful one day..

I have not been cruise to Asia too... wonder if it is great... would you like to cruise more than 4 days?

Scottishwee35
DCL 6-9April 06,DCL on 18 July 07, Medi.,DCL on 15 Nights Panama Canal - Westbound< May 08, NEW YORK NOV 24-30TH WITH 5 LADIES :, DCL on 3 July '10 for 8 days Dover to Barcelona RCCI - FOS 10 April '11, Spendlour of the Seas, 19 July 2013,Disney Magic 14 Nights WB Tranny Sep 6, 2014, Jamaica June 12-23, 2018, RC Cruise, Halloween 2019, Mexico with groups, Sept 2022, DCL Nowhere on 27th July 2021 for 3 nights?, Anthem of the Seas, Norweigian Fjords Cruise, May 2022
HiddenMickey35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 17, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
nursetina
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by scottishwee35 View Post
Singapore is beautiful place and I always want to cruise from Singapore to Australia... hopeful one day..

I have not been cruise to Asia too... wonder if it is great... would you like to cruise more than 4 days?

Scottishwee35
Don't want our first cruise to be long, just in case we don't like it, so 4 days seems a perfect amount of time.
Old 5 Dec 17, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

We've done a few Far East cruises - starting and finishing in Singapore. They have included stops in Penang and Phuket.
Are you planning on doing ship tours or are you looking for ideas for independent tours?
We usually join the roll call on Cruisecritic and very often share tours. We've had some great tours and met lots of lovely people.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 17, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
nursetina
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
We've done a few Far East cruises - starting and finishing in Singapore. They have included stops in Penang and Phuket.
Are you planning on doing ship tours or are you looking for ideas for independent tours?
We usually join the roll call on Cruisecritic and very often share tours. We've had some great tours and met lots of lovely people.
I was looking at the ship tours offered. I'll take a look on cruise critic. Thankyou
Old 8 Dec 17, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post

We have cruised on the Voyager of the seas but not out of Singapore. We were on the 5 nights Vietnam cruise departing from Hong Kong (last August).

For us, it was a very disappointing experience. Ship was old, food was average and entertainment was bad. You have to queue for a long time everywhere on this ship. Seems they cannot handle this amount of guests. Ship excursions in Vietnam were organised very badly (long waits, we had to wait for almost 1 hour in the theatre before we can get on the tour bus). We were excited to see the ice shows that is so special to RCCL but found out we had to queue at least 1.5 hour prior to showtime in order to get a seat and you also have to pay for it ! Why not let people book a seat if there is a charge ? We decided to give up and skip the ice show. Just don't fancy standing in the queue for that long. We have cruised many times (with DCL, NCL, MSC etc) but this was our worst cruise experience. To be honest, if this was our first cruise, it will also be the last. Maybe we have chosen the wrong ship/itinerary to get a taste from RCCL. The only good thing about this cruise is that we had an excellent stateroom host that was very nice and friendly.

Sorry for the negative comments for this ship and I hope that you will have a better experience sailing out of Singapore.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 17, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Nursetina, not the specific cruise you have booked, but in April 2018 we are cruising from Singapore to various places but including your stop at Phuket.
We are sailing on Mariner of the Seas, so same cruise line.
We go before you, so can answer any specific questions after we get back if it helps at all?
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 17, 12:10 AM  
Link to this Post
nursetina
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
Nursetina, not the specific cruise you have booked, but in April 2018 we are cruising from Singapore to various places but including your stop at Phuket.
We are sailing on Mariner of the Seas, so same cruise line.
We go before you, so can answer any specific questions after we get back if it helps at all?
That would be fabulous cloverlady, look forward to hearing all about your cruise