Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 1 Mar 18, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
1973jk
Excited about Disney

FastPass+ anxiety

The more I read the more I am frustrated and anxious about Disney’s FastPass+ system.
I think there will soon be a medically recognised condition ‘FastPass anxiety syndrome’! ( New abbreviation FAS &#128514
Our last Disney visit was before the new system. Will our Disney experience ever be the same again?
With strategic planning we could get round the park popping over to get fast passes through the day. Now it seems everyone prebooks the popular rides even for days they are unlikely to use them, rendering it impossible to enjoy Disney without expecting lengthy queues.
So if I can’t rebook another FastPass until all the first three have been used how will it be possible to rebook another for a popular ride?
Also there are 10 in my party, is it a challenge to get us all the same fast passes?
Any reassurance welcome to help calm my FAS induced palpitations! 😬
1973jk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 18, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

well first of all don't overthink the system.

let's be honest. If you prebook your rides for the first 3 hours of park, this does not change much from the previous system.
Before, you received a return time, and could not get another fastpass until the time displayed on the ticket was met.

so for a park that opens at 9, and you get FP+ at 9-10 / 10-11 / 11-12 you can ride at 11:00 on the dot, and get a 4th FP+ on the app while you're stading in line for FP+ #3 at 11:05am

with the old system, it was very unlikely you could get your 4th fastpass of the day at 11:05am for a 9am opening, right ?

next, you're right, some people prebook FP+ for days they might not visit. So what ? ... if one guest has a FP+ and does not use it, this simply means that the standby line moves up by one guest. The ride vehicle will not leave the station empty just because the seat was "reserved". That's not how it works.

You're also asking about the odds of finding a 4th FP+ for a headliner. Well, under the old system, fastpasses for rides such as TSMM would have ran out by the time you had managed to ride 3 legacy fastpasses.

what has changed ? nothing really, except you can now take your next FP+ (4th and following) on the app while waiting in line instead of needing to dash through the park , with everyone's tickets to get a paper fastpass.

don't overthink, and plan with the FP+ system, not against it.

you'll also find the FP+ system invaluable if you're park hopping, or having half days (like mornings at a waterpark and afternoons at a main park) because you can now book in advance those rides you would never have had a chance to get a FP+ for had you entered the park at 4pm after a waterpark and afternoon nap

if you plan half days with breaks for kids, you can do morning riding standby, when the parks are quiet, and then saving your 3FP+ for your afternoon park and still have 3 rides guaranteed, you can even schedule them around ADRs

As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't go back to the old system
TBH I was at Disneyland Paris this weekend, with the legacy fastpass system ... how I wish they had a FP+ system ...

give it a try.

Edited at 10:57 AM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 18, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
1973jk
Excited about Disney

In your experience has there been fast pass options available through the day during peak season?
Thanks for your helpful response

Edited at 11:04 AM.
1973jk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 18, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

I will not lie to you and say there has been FP+ for Test Track or Soarin in the middle of the afternoon, but I'll tell you I have managed to find a Frozen FP+ on the day in early august.

you will find FP+for rides that are considered "minor", but that will be the same kind of dynamics as it used to be with the old system

you'll find FP+ for the rides that still had fastpasses available under the old system. You won't find FP+ for rides that would already have run out under the old system

in that respect, it doesn't change much.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 18, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
billbarbara229
Imagineer

We havent been for years and we find the system confusing If you have to use your phone does that mean that your going to run up a bill? Or can you put it somewhere offline I am not thick just almost 70 and new things were finding hard to understand sometimes
Also there is free WiFi how do you sign on to it does that make the app work
billbarbara229 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 18, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

there is free wifi throughout the parks, so just turn off data on phone and just use wifi

you sign up very simple. Just go to your wifi networks on your phone, and choose the Disney Guest Area network and connect

you don't need to do anything else. No login/passcode, just connect and use.

if you're uncomfortable using a smartphone in the parks, there are kiosks where you can scan your magic band or ticket, and make the selections on the screen. Cast members are there at kiosks location should you need assistance with the system.

things are a bit different at universal where you need to fill in a form on your phone's browser once connected.

Edited at 11:33 AM.
Old 1 Mar 18, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Eccle
Imagineer

There are pros and cons. It saves the running round you used to have with paper FPs, but I do think it has increased standby waits.

Now you can book 4th FPs on your phone it is easier though, book your 3 early on, then keep looking. You need to keep refreshing, things pop up all the time so don't assume there are no good ones if nothing comes up instantly. I just did it for a group of 8, it was fine booking altogether, but for additional fast passes on the day I split into groups of 2 and got overlapping ones.

On busy days a couple of weeks ago I got Frozen, Test Track and Spaceship Earth on the same day at Epcot, and all the mountains and 7 Dwarfs at MK, as well as other rides too.
Eccle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 18, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by 1973jk View Post
The more I read the more I am frustrated and anxious about Disney’s FastPass+ system.
I think there will soon be a medically recognised condition ‘FastPass anxiety syndrome’! ( New abbreviation FAS &#128514
Our last Disney visit was before the new system. Will our Disney experience ever be the same again?
With strategic planning we could get round the park popping over to get fast passes through the day. Now it seems everyone prebooks the popular rides even for days they are unlikely to use them, rendering it impossible to enjoy Disney without expecting lengthy queues.
So if I can’t rebook another FastPass until all the first three have been used how will it be possible to rebook another for a popular ride?
Also there are 10 in my party, is it a challenge to get us all the same fast passes?
Any reassurance welcome to help calm my FAS induced palpitations! 😬
Everyone has a different point of view but, for me, the new system is slightly less stressful on the day than the old system used to be. It's different; better for some, worse for others.

In the past, you had to make sure you were at the park early and headed straight to the headliner ride in order to pick up your fastpass (usually for 3 hours later). If you arrived at HS after 11am then you were unlikely to get a fastpass for Toy Story Mania. And I remember queuing for over 20 minutes just to get a fastpass for Soarin'.

Now, before your holiday, you'll know whether you have a fastpass prebooked for the rides or not. If you have, then there's no stress. If you haven't, then you can plan to get to the park early before opening time and join the standby queue. Or skip the ride for this visit.

We have managed to get additional fastpasses on the day. MK is the best for this because it has lots of attractions; the other parks have a more limited selection. However, you are unlikely to get an additional fastpass for the most popular rides in the park (unless you're lucky!).

As for using your phone in the parks, just remember to switch off data roaming and mobile data. Use wifi instead. It's free. Or, if you don't feel comfortable using your smartphone over there, use the kiosks in the parks instead.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 18, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
nquart
Very Serious Dibber

nquart's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by 1973jk View Post
In your experience has there been fast pass options available through the day during peak season?
Thanks for your helpful response
We went school holidays last year and could always get more fast passes but not for headliners. But we didn't mind because need booked the headliners and used the extras to avoid queuing. Personally I much prefer this system
nquart is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 18, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
PCBatman
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

The fast pass plus system is far easier and less stressful than queuing up for paper fast passes like we have to do when we visit Disneyland Hong Kong and California, whenever we are at these parks we do really miss the ease of just booking your FP’s on your phone instead of running around to each of the ticket machines!
Disneyland Paris - Nov 2018
PCBatman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List