Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 28 Mar 18, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

Driving back to Miami airport on the 27 ?

What is the 27 like once you get into Miami ? is it all stop / starts and traffic lights ?

DH will be driving and I'm thinking he might find it easier to go over to the east coast on the 75 and then cut down the 27 to the airport rather than getting on the freeway; especially as it will be Friday afternoon.

Any advice / experience thanks
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 18, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

If you go down the 27 then when you get down to Miami jump on the 75 for the last part of the drive it is pretty much plain sailing, you may hit heavy traffic on the 75 but it keeps moving
Old 29 Mar 18, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

I got totally lost last time returning I'm not looking forward to it :eek

Old 29 Mar 18, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

I'll hijack the thread

due to *old age* (ahem ... 45 qualifies, right ? ) I don't remember if I asked before, so forgive me, but here it goes :

we have a 4pm flight back to Frankfurt (A380 yeahhh) out of MIA
we're driving down from universal in the morning.
I've allowed 4hrs before flight, and 4 hours drive time, so we'll be leaving Universal around 8am (sat may 12th)

Would you say I'm better off racing down the turnpike to get to MIA *faster*
or would we be ok along US27
(tolls and boring roads are not issues)

thanks for the input (and sorry if Alzheimer has hit me ...)

Edited at 02:02 PM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 18, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

chmurf - I would stick to the Turnpike if driving down from the Universal area. You can build in an extra stop if you are making good progress.

jas72 - yes I missed the off ramp to the airport and we were on the cross streets - not fun but we made it ok ... good luck

DH will be driving back to Miami for the first time as I usually drive. Last time we were driving down the I95 from the Fort Lauderdale area on a Friday afternoon and I wouldn't like him to experience this - it was a bit hairy even for me and I can drive like a local.

I've been having a look on streetview at the 27 approach to the airport and it looks ok so I think I'm going to send him down there from the 75 over from the west coast where they will be staying.

Edited at 02:35 PM.
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 18, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

thanks
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 18, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

From Universal I would stick to the Turnpike as well. The services have been re revamped and are actually an ideal spot for a break IMO. I think the 27 might make sense if you are staying south of Disney but not when you can get on the Turnpike a few minutes from where you are staying. As you don't mind motorway style roads and tolls I can't see any reason to avoid it.
Old 29 Mar 18, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

It is easy to get back to Miami airport just using the 27 even thought there are several sets of traffic lights as all you have to do is turn right on Le Jeune which is the 953, go straight over the NW36 junction then you will soon pick up signs to the car rental returns which will be a left turn into the airport. We have used this route a few times the last time being in December.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List