Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 28 Mar 18, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
tim17
slightly serious Dibber

Orlando Traffic

Not sure whether this is the correct part of the forum to put the thread but here goes anyway.

We've just got back from our mini road trip which included a few days in Orlando. The traffic (especially the I4) was horrendous and the worst we have ever experienced. To be honest it's put us off going anywhere near Orlando again.

Anyone else feel the same?
tim17 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 18, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
N52939
Apprentice Imagineer

As some who lives here I can tell you that I avoid I4 (from Disney going east) as much as possible.

The work that they are doing on I4 Ultimate (phase 1) until 2020 from Universal to Lake Mary is causing huge bottleknecks and closing exits. Phase 2 if they go ahead will be from Hwy 27 to Universal.
N52939 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 18, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Same here , we just avoid it as much as possible
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 18, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Greyfriars
Imagineer

It was bad in December, we actually used the 417 toll road to Sanford to get to blue springs state park.!
I have lost count of the number of times I have argued with members who advocate using the I4 to get from Sanford. It's just not worth it to save a few dollars. Use the 417 toll. 👍

Edited at 07:46 PM.
Greyfriars is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 18, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
N52939
Apprentice Imagineer

The extension of the 429 Toll road to I4 near Sanford is also nearing completion which should help those who are in villas on Hwy 27 or toward Tampa.

Originally Posted by Greyfriars View Post
It was bad in December, we actually used the 417 toll road to Sanford to get to blue springs state park.!
I have lost count of the number of times I have argued with members who advocate using the I4 to get from Sanford. It's just not worth it to save a few dollars. Use the 417 toll. 👍
N52939 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 18, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

We too avoid the I4 totally. We work out routes now to ensure we avoid it
ROBBOTOO is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 18, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Greyfriars View Post
We haven't flown in to SFB since around 2008 but always used 417. In fact we now always use 417 to get from MCO to Highgate.

We normally go to Mall @ Millennia a couple of times each holiday. Normally leave I-4 at j78 for Conroy but last December j77 (Turnpike) seemed to have merged with j78 so we overshot and ended up getting to M@M from the north. Started now to get there via I-Drive all the way to Premium Outlet and then round the corner to the Mall. Coming back from M@M on I-4 is even worse. If you don't get across about 3 lanes inside half a mile you end up on the Turnpike.

Planning Leu Gardens and Winter Park next month so we'll probably use 429/408 instead of I-4.

Mick
Old 28 Mar 18, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

I drive from the Celebration to downtown Orlando every Wednesday at 1 o'clock. At that time I4 is usually ok but I always look at a traffic update first. Coming back to Formosa at 3 the reccomended route is almost always 408/409. It is miles further but stress free and only costs a few $.

I struggle to understand why some on here avoid the toll roads at all cost. I use them extensively and have hardly ever encountered any traffic hold ups.

OP, I would say that last week seemed to be the height of Spring Break. I did think the traffic was worse than usual.
Old 28 Mar 18, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
ARAR
Getting Excited

My last trip to Orlando was 20 years ago, so I'm not too familiar with the routes.

If I want to go to either Universal or Sea World and I'm travelling from the Indian Ridge area, is it best to avoid the I4 altogether?

Should I travel via 417 east and S John Young Pkway?
ARAR is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 18, 03:01 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ARAR View Post
My last trip to Orlando was 20 years ago, so I'm not too familiar with the routes.

If I want to go to either Universal or Sea World and I'm travelling from the Indian Ridge area, is it best to avoid the I4 altogether?

Should I travel via 417 east and S John Young Pkway?
It depends on the time of day. I would suggest having a quick look at the traffic before you set off. I just use Google Maps but have unlimited data.

I4 is likely to still be your best bet unless there is an accident. It is the area north of Universal that is a mess at the moment. If it was in the UK it would all be coned off with speed cameras and 50 mph limits.