Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 11 Apr 17, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
charly77
Very Serious Dibber

The Grand Tour...Day 23 Cape Cod

Breakfast was supplied at Bayside, the kids were so happy to spot donuts! Have to say it was the best hotel breakfast we had experienced all trip so far.

We left at 7.45am and drove to Hyannis where we were going to catch our first ferry to Nantucket, I have wanted to visit here for years so I was very excited. We had all taken travel sickness tablets at breakfast and I am so glad we did as it was a high speed ferry and was a rather bumpy crossing which took around an hour.

We grabbed a map and headed for a coffee so we could get our bearings. From here we opted to walk although it was very hot and muggy, we saw Hadwen House which is a Greek Revival mansion built in 1845 by whaling merchant and silver retailer William Hadwen.

Then we saw the State Police Station which was very quaint, we chatted to an officer who was lovely and told us a bit about how the police force works on the island.

We just walked around checking out all the different houses, it was just as we had pictured. Lovely…

The oldest house was interesting, they give tour here but we had just missed it. We took a look around ourselves.

After checking out the map again we chose to walk up to the Brant Point Lighthouse which was fab, this to me summarised where we were, I loved it! I have since seen a very similar picture to the one below on sale as a canvas for very silly money…

We walked across the children’s beach and back up to the main street to grab some lunch, we had to be back at the ferry port for 2pm as we were heading over to Martha’s Vineyard. We passed some shops where DS bought himself a baseball glove. I wished we had time to look around the Whaling Museum but our ferry times were changed at short notice…Next time!

We thought we’d grab an ice cream on our way…$7 each! Tourist trap! We left it and walked over to the ferry port where we spotted a supermarket and grabbed 4 ice creams for $4, that’s what you call a deal!

The ferry left at 2.30pm, again high speed but this time heading to Martha’s Vineyard! When we arrived we popped into a bar to have a beer, we checked out a map to get our bearings again!

I did expect both Islands to be quite similar but on first impressions MV seemed much livelier. The weather was great here so was nice to cool down before heading off towards the ‘gingerbread houses’.

We noticed the locals decorating houses and the area with paper lanterns and lights, we learnt that this is called ‘The Grand Illumination’ and it is so popular that the residents only find out that same week when it will be held. On the Friday night they present a large firework display.

Ideally we would have liked to have hired bikes and cycled some of the island but due to Hy-Line changing our ferry times it again left us short so we decided to stay in Oak Buffs and use our feet! I know you’re probably thinking why cram so much into a small space of time and the simple answer is we are indecisive! We knew we wanted to visit both islands but how could you choose between them? The thing is we have now visited both, loved both and are glad we did it this way. I guess we could look at this trip being a taster and there are definitely places we will revisit and others we don’t need or want to.

The one great thing about Martha’s is that the Obamas were actually holidaying there at the same time so technically we can say we went on holiday with them! There were t-shirts stating this for sale everywhere, so funny!

We had a wander up to the seafront and walked along the pier, if I am correct I believe this is the one that featured in Jaws.

MV was so much cheaper than NT so we purchased some souvenirs and gifts. We sat and chilled for a while in a large open space called Ocean Park with a bandstand and fountains surrounded by some beautiful houses, one looked like the house from Despicable Me according to the kids.

We soon headed back to the ferry port, glad we did as there was already a huge queue! We watched the sun starting to set over the Ocean.

Once back at the hotel we sat around the fire pit and reflected on our fab day, the kids were going to go for a swim but we ended up catching up with some of the Olympics instead!

Steps today; 18,181

Floors climbed; 20

*Tip of the day *Take time to notice your surroundings
charly77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 17, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

What stunning houses! Certainly a busy day but you saw such a lot!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 17, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

A busy day but oh so full of good stuff.
Old 24 Apr 17, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Brings back lots of memories, can't wait for 32 days time, not sure if we'll go to MV again but you never know!
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 17, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

I have loved reading your trip report.

What did you think of the Bayside Resort? Just trying to book a Cape Cod hotel for August.
1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
charly77
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
I have loved reading your trip report.

What did you think of the Bayside Resort? Just trying to book a Cape Cod hotel for August.
It was great for what we needed it for. Next time though I would stay a bit further into the Cape...ideally Chatham as I felt that was more 'Cape Cod'.
charly77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 17, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
both islands look lovely
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List