Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Apr 17, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Firekat
VIP Dibber

Keeping It A Secret

Booked our first Family holiday to Disney World/Unversal Orlando around this time last year as soon as free DDP came out.

We haven't told the kids yet, going to surprise them a couple of weeks before we go. Thinking of Mickey and Minnie helium balloons floating out of a box. With a letter to say we are going and I'll order a countdown blackboard from ebay nearer the time.

As time creeps closer I'm finding it hard to keep it secret - I'm getting so excited with all the planning and just booked our ADRs last week and booked them in for Pirates League yesterday!

It will be me (37) DH (41) DD(9) DS(4)

DH has been when he was a teenager, but its a first for the rest of us.
DD has been wanting to go since she was 2! We've been to DLP a couple of years ago, but I understand it is a completely different experience.

Bursting with excitement!
Firekat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 17, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveDaveLamb
Imagineer

You will have a fabulous time. The first time is so amazing.

I admire you for keeping the secret.

I never could...

Happy planning. x
Old 27 Apr 17, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
macy
VIP Dibber

macy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Firekat View Post
Booked our first Family holiday to Disney World/Unversal Orlando around this time last year as soon as free DDP came out.

We haven't told the kids yet, going to surprise them a couple of weeks before we go. Thinking of Mickey and Minnie helium balloons floating out of a box. With a letter to say we are going and I'll order a countdown blackboard from ebay nearer the time.

As time creeps closer I'm finding it hard to keep it secret - I'm getting so excited with all the planning and just booked our ADRs last week and booked them in for Pirates League yesterday!

It will be me (37) DH (41) DD(9) DS(4)

DH has been when he was a teenager, but its a first for the rest of us.
DD has been wanting to go since she was 2! We've been to DLP a couple of years ago, but I understand it is a completely different experience.

Bursting with excitement!
It is a very different experience, DLP on a much bigger scale. I wouldn't knock DLP as it is nice in it's own way. You family will really love Disney World, seeing is believing. Be prepared to walk miles as well. Your husband will be stunned at the changes since he last visited. I'm sure your balloon idea will work out well, you can't beat that first time walking into DW the kid's will remember it forever. Mine have and are all grown up now, a really special time.
macy is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 17, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Firekat
VIP Dibber

Can't wait to tell the kids

Anyone else keeping it a secret? How long have you kept your secret so far?
Firekat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 17, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
RM2016
Imagineer

RM2016's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
When we went last July we told the kids the night before. We have just come back from Wrestlemania and told them the week before.
RM2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 17, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
amandajane10
Imagineer

amandajane10's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Ours havent been told yet we are going to do on the morning we go lol
Villa Holiday May 2018
Planning Easter 2020
amandajane10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 17, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
loubieloo
Imagineer

We kept it as a secret for our first time as a family, we had been 14 yrs previously when dd was 18m old but it was a disaster! Not really anyone's fault just our young and poorly planned inexperience.

Anyway 14yrs and more children, more money and maturity we loved it

We kept it a secret for 9months, we told them Christmas Day after dinner at around 5pm (we have always had after dinner gifts, not normally quite this big though ) we packed that night and set off on Boxing Day to the airport hotel.

It was brilliant, the looks on the kids faces were priceless.
Old 27 Apr 17, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney1sttimers
slightly serious Dibber

I booked last September. Managed to keep it a secret from dd's 15 & 13 till about a month ago and then just couldn't keep it from them any longer. They were nearly in tears when I told them. DD 10 still doesn't know. I plan on getting one of those blank jigsaw puzzles from Wilko's and doing a treasure hunt about a week before we go, hiding all the pieces in the garden so when she joins it all together it'll say 'We're going to Florida next week".

I'm bursting with excitement just thinking of the reveal. I hope you have a fabulous time.
Disney1sttimers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 17, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
TinselAngel
Imagineer

TinselAngel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We kept our first trip secret till about three months before as we were going over Christmas and thought it would work better to give the boys a bit of notice and time to get excited.

The latest we've told them was the night before - our third trip overall, and our first staying off-property In a Dibb Villa. That was fun - the looks on their faces were great.

POFQ Dec 2006, Mar 2008, Oct 2009, Oct 2014
Dibb Villas : Mar 2009, Aug 2009, Xmas 2009 Dec 2010, Oct 2011, July 2013, July 2014, Xmas 2014, July 2015, Aug 2017, Jan 2018, Oct 18, OKW:Summer 2012, Beach Club:Oct 2015,July 2017. AKL:Oct 2019
TinselAngel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 17, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We booked last April for this June and have been keeping it secret from the kids and my dad since! (surprise family holiday for his 50th) it's been hard work keeping the excitement contained but will finally get to tell them in a few weeks!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List