Notices

Old 30 Mar 17, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
closeder
slightly serious Dibber

Over the Hill and Sailing Away March 2017 Day 4 Disney Springs California Grill Magic Kingdom

Today was to be a long lie day with nothing to rush for after our early starts the last few days. We were getting later and later rising so this was definitely called for. I still woke at 8ish followed by Derek and Murray but Katie was still snoring and grinding her teeth( just the worst sound ever) until after 9.

We decided to go Disney Springs since we had to pick up our gift card, they obviously try and get you to spend it there making you go and collect it there but we quite like a wander round so no problem really.

They had opened up a few new bits since we were here last, it was also very quiet so we enjoyed a little walk to Starbucks after parking in the Line car park. How good is the car parking here now, we parked on level two which hasthe escalator entrance, top tip for you there.

Not a cloud in the sky, another beautiful day.

We had our usual breakfast pastries plus Derek and I had a ham an Swiss and a double bacon thing, both delicious. You get a drink plus a breakfast item and a pastry for a quick service credit so two credits does our family of four when the kids have water.

We popped into Candy Cauldron and spent some snack credits on a cupcake and cake pop for Katie and I.

We headed over to the Lego shop after this then World of Disney for our gift card, a few silly hats were tried and some mucking about with light saber building. We had some ice creams and then got wraps from Earl of Sandwich to take back to the hotel for lunch, the kids wanted chicken nuggets from Hurricane Hannah's again.

We didn't actually buy much, still time to shop once we come back from the cruise.

Back at the hotel we are lunch at Hurricane Hannah's then Katie got her hair braided, $2 an inch so you can guess that it cost a small fortune. She decided to get cruise colours and a dolphin charm as they are her favourite animal.

Meanwhile Murray and Derek went to the arcade before Katie joined them and I headed back to the room to get the laundry organised.

Katie and I then went down to the Beach Club quiet pool and I put in a load of laundry before settling down for some sunbathing whilst Katie mucked about in the pool. The boys stayed in the room watching Netflix.

We had a fun and relaxing hour and a half before collecting the laundry and heading back to the room to get ready for dinner which was at California Grill tonight. Slight panic when I got back to the room and Derek asked where the credit card I had used to pay for the laundry was, after taking in my Beach bag and the laundry bag I realised I must have left it back at the pool and had to run back to get it. Luckily it was sitting at the folding table waiting for me but I was mighty hot and sweaty by the time I got back to the room.

Our reservation at California Grill was at 7pm, we checked in on time and were taken up in the lift. We were seated immediately and although then blinds were quite far down you could see the spectacular view and it was a real wow moment.

We were very impressed with the setting although it was quite noisy and we found ourselves shouting across the table at times. We did not warm to our server at all, she was very matter of fact and kept looking elsewhere while talking to you, it was really off putting. There was no explanation of the menu except to say we could order the cheese as a starter instead of a dessert. Derek was driving tonight so he was only looking for a soft drink, somehow we only managed to order a wine for me from the drinks menu and she ever came back to check what everyone else would be drinking, but did bring water to the table. It was only half way through the meal when Murray noticed but it was just weird. Once we placed our order we went out in to the observation deck as the sun was beginning to set. We met an American couple out there who picked up in our accent and had been to Gleneagles to stay so they were chatty about golf and Scotland and took our picture. By the time we got back to our table the cheese Derek decided to order had arrived along with bread.

Derek's cheese that I shared. Very nice but a bit weird to have cheese as a starter, so used to having it after dinner, now I'm thinking we should have asked for it to come at the end.

Our meals arrived soon after, before the cheese plate had even been removed. This is the kids steak that they both ordered. Unfortunately although we asked for this to be medium cooked it was definitely well done. In hindsight we probably should have sent it back seeing as it cost more than an adult steak would at Longhorns and you would expect it to be right at a Signature restaurant however not wanting to make a fuss and the kids being happy to tuck in we just let it be.

Derek had the tuna, he said it was tasty but wasn't raving.

I had the scallops, again tasty but nothing as spectacular as I was expecting. Sorry California Grill fans but the food wasn't up to scratch in our opinion for a two credit meal or considering the actual price on the menu!

It was dark by now, I ordered a Creme brûlée for dessert, the kids didn't want anything. Alas this just wasn't right either, the top was still sugary in parts not hard and the custard part was grainy. I had about three bites and left the rest. I thought I might mention this to the waitress at this point as it really wasn't up to scratch but instead of coming over she literally shouted at us as she was walking by that she would bring us out the bill. Oh my goodness, blood was boiling at this point and it was totally the last straw. Deep breaths all round when she brought the bill over I just ignored her and the bill which she had to place on the table. Derek and I then discussed the best plan, should we complain or just put it down to experience. Not really in the mood for creating a scene and really wanting to make the most of a bad meal by at least enjoying the fireworks we left a minimum tip and I might send in a note to Disney about how dismal the service was, the meal itself was okay it was just disappointing after all the rave reviews I have heard, made worse possibly by the fabulous meals we have had so far this holiday.

Time now to go out on the terrace and see the fireworks, such a fabulous view, we laughed off the below par restaurant experience, at this point there was some elevator music coming out of the speakers. At 9pm on the button the fireworks started but the elevator music continued. Derek was just watching me wondering when I was going to completely loose it , they couldn't even get this right tonight! Eventually wishes music started coming through and the fireworks were spectacular as usual. Amazing to see it from here but not enough that I will consider returning. Obviously we just caught them on a bad night so don't let this review put you off!

After the fireworks we took the monorail to Magic Kingdom. It was extra magic hours tonight something we have never taken advantage of before. I had booked some fast passes just in case we were all up for going and the kids were excited.

When we arrived they were just starting the new show which is projected onto the castle. The music was lovely and it was quite a sight.

We had a wander down Main Street while watching the show, we stopped at a photopass man who took some shots then told us to wait for a bit and the following picture was it, unfortunately I spoiled it by closing my eyes.

Maybe another night we will try again.

It was a real bonus to get to see the show and something we hadn't seen before, quite a big focus on the beauty and the beast animated film so I loved it.

We went on Buzz with our fastpass then the people mover as the kids wanted to do it at night.

Then we went on the Speedway and then round to barnstormer, after one ride on this the kids wanted to call it a night, it was now just after 11 so we walked up the Cinderella 's carousel to make our way home via the sword and the stone and a nice view of Main Street.

We walked back to the Contemporary for the car thinking it would be quicker than getting the monorail. It didn't take too long and we were soon in the road home to the Beach Club and in bed for just after 12.

Tomorrow we go to Hollywood Studios and Yachtsman steak house where signature dining redeems itself thank goodness. Not sure I'll get anymore live reporting done until we are back from the cruise, thanks for reading along and the comment which keep me going, hopefully I didn't sound too moany today!

Index to my trip reports at link below, updating live
"Over the hill and sailing away March 2017"
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/repo...p?userid=36640
closeder is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 17, 04:26 AM  
Link to this Post
dizneemad
VIP Dibber

Was our worst meal when we went also. The server just was not interested once she knew we were on the DDP and was just so rude and unhelpful during the whole meal.
Old 31 Mar 17, 04:33 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by closeder - 31 Mar 17 4:33 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 17, 04:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Danielle24
Imagineer

Mobile

Thankfully it's not on my list 😒 Think
I would have had to Complain About the service too. Can't wait for the next instalment ☺️
Danielle24 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 17, 07:22 AM  
Link to this Post
clubhouse
Very Serious Dibber

Great day apart from the disappointing Cali Grill experience.

Thanks for helping me decide it's definitely off the list for the summer. We've been and been disappointed with the service and the food before but was thinking it might be worth trying again. Think I will stick to the Yachtsman and Jiko.

So jealous that you are off on your cruise! Have a great time.
clubhouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 17, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post
JenD1
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

I wouldn't have complained either just seethed and chuntered between us. Not worth creating a scene. Glad you could laugh about it. You never know she may have had other stuff on her mind (I'm being very generous!). Enjoying the TR as I have your others.

Old 31 Mar 17, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
What a shame about your meal but a good day otherwise

Joan
Old 31 Mar 17, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post

Hi folks. Sounds like you had a very bad experience and didn't even complain, good job I wasn't with you! The rest of the day made up for your disappointment. Off to the caravan. Enjoy the cruise. Looking forward to your reports.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 17, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Another good day with the exception of your meal. Your photos in front of the castle in the dark are lovely, even with the eyes closed. Extra evening hours are something we've still to experience. Enjoy the cruise, I can't wait to hear all about your experience.
Old 31 Mar 17, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Mental Minnie
VIP Dibber

Your day looked wonderful. Such a shame about CG. I don't even think the presentation of the plate looked up to scratch for a signature restaurant. It is a tough one when that happens because you do want to complain but also like you said you do not want to spoil your night. I think on that occasion I would have complained though, your server just seemed rude. I hope your meal at Yatchsman redeems your faith.
Have a wonderful cruise and looking forward to reading and seeing the rest when you get back.