Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Apr 17, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile Our NHS isn't perfect but ...

Was talking to an American yesterday about politics etc in both countries and I said how advanced some of the treatment was over here in particular Proton Beam therapy. (As some of you know my granddaughter was sent out here to receive that treatment for a brain tumour courtesy of the NHS ). He pointed out that had she been an American child she probably would not have got it! I was horrified! I know she was one of the lucky ones as the criteria is very tight and very few are selected but even so we are eternally grateful.
They are building PTB in UK now so I hope many others will benefit from it as Daisy did.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

My daughter is type1 diabetic and without insulin she would die.

It's not unheard of for Americans (& many other nationalities) to not be able to afford the drug or are covered by insurance that doesn't provide them with the required amounts.

I'll fight for the NHS until my last breath.
Old 26 Apr 17, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Charlottesumx
slightly serious Dibber

I agree, it's a horrible thought, OP, but like you I am passionate about our NHS, as are so many of us, and it's easy to see why!
December 1980 I-drive August 1987 Fort Wilderness July 2001 Paris Davy Crockett December 2008 Kissimee and Bahama Bay May 2008 Paris Santa Fe June 2011 Paris Campanile February 2016 Port Orleans Disney, Universal Cabana Bay
Charlottesumx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post

I can only sing the praises of our NHS. Have a friend in America who got acute leukemia - final bill was $275,000. She had some insurance but it didn't cover it all. She had to sell things to raise the rest. Had she not done so she'd be facing a debt collection company. We don't realise how lucky we are.

Edited at 05:41 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
clanmacbeath
Imagineer

clanmacbeath's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Mobile

The NHS is under extreme pressure and the staff are working so hard to hold the system together. I work within the NHS and I am proud to do so. We are very lucky to recieve the treatment and care that we do. Sadly the system is under so much strain that I'm not sure what the future holds. Let's just hope that eventually enough money and resources is paid it to get it sorted. I am always pleased to hear good stories from patients. It makes it all worth while.
clanmacbeath is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

It's nice to see lots of positive comments regarding our NHS, so many people are quick to run it down but I consider us very lucky and wouldn't have it any other way. The only thing I wish was different is that the nurses etc got paid more. It makes no sense to me that I was getting paid more to do a mundane office job than one of my friends who is a nurse, works unsociable hours and saves lives.
Old 26 Apr 17, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Pinchy
Imagineer

In my University interview nearly 40 years ago I was asked about this. Nothing changes, it has always been the same. Good health care is expensive in many ways.
Pinchy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Whilst there needs to be some changes to the system to provide relief on it, however on the whole it's a great service

(I'm talking better power for gp surgeries to prevent time wasters; and better promoting of our great 111 service and other self service platforms rather then a complete system overhaul)
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by ely3857 View Post
My daughter is type1 diabetic and without insulin she would die.

It's not unheard of for Americans (& many other nationalities) to not be able to afford the drug or are covered by insurance that doesn't provide them with the required amounts.

I'll fight for the NHS until my last breath.
Here, here. One thing that concerns me is type 1 diabetics like us being without insulin, we all know what will happen to us without insulin. I have a friend in the US who could not afford her insurance deductible and was rationing her insulin, not attending ends visits, etc. She now has irreversible kidney damage.
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

One of the changes I'd like to see is the return of the student nurse bursary in England. Student nurses aren't like other students, when on placement they are part of the workforce so, effectively, making them pay to work is wrong. The dramatic drop in applications for degree courses shows the effect it is having.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List